Thailand postpones new visa rules for visitors from Taiwan until March

webfact

Thailand postpones new visa rules for visitors from Taiwan until March

Thai visitors enjoy visa waiver for Taiwan under New Southbound Policy

By Matthew Strong, Taiwan News, Staff Writer

wm.jpg

Phangnga Bay in Southern Thailand (photo by Wolfgang Holzem). (Wikimedia Commons photo)

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) — Following days of contradictory reports, Thailand has decided to postpone the requirement for Taiwanese travelers to present financial statements when applying online for a visa until March of next year, reports said Thursday (Dec. 5).

The Thailand Trade and Economic Office (TTEO) in Taipei announced Monday (Dec. 2) that online visa applicants from Taiwan would have to provide evidence of their financial situation for over the last three months before they could be awarded the visa.

The new rules caused an uproar among Taiwanese travel agents, who pointed out that Thai citizens did not even need a visa to come to the island under the government’s New Southbound Policy.

On Wednesday (Dec. 4), media reports emerged that the TTEO was canceling the new policy, but later it denied any cancelation was likely.

Full story: https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3830855

-- Taiwan News 2019-12-06

Not sure what the logic of the measure was anyway (apart from sucking up to China perhaps?). Designed to stop Taiwanese tourists coming to Thailand? Perhaps an experiment to see the effects before applying it to ALL tourists?

Completely irrational?

12 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Not sure what the logic of the measure was anyway (apart from sucking up to China perhaps?). Designed to stop Taiwanese tourists coming to Thailand? Perhaps an experiment to see the effects before applying it to ALL tourists?

Completely irrational?

What logic? of course Thai Logic - that which completely contradicts normal logic to achieve a result that is unsatisfactory in general opinion, but makes sense to a simple minded government official.

Poor countries really shouldn't ask visitors from rich countries to provide financials when applying for a basic tourist visa such as the Thai SETV.

And yes, before the usual suspects whine about that classification, Thailand IS a poor country compared with Taiwan in terms of per capita GDP, average income, etc.

But the real question here is why Taiwanese visitors aren't eligible for visa exempt entry to Thailand.

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Ah, Christmas bookings not looking strong then ?

Looking to book at a higher end resort in Phuket for the nose bleed period of Dec 20th -28th, have watched the price drop in the last week by 30% vs the original asking price 3 weeks ago. Waiting just a bit longer...

I wonder is it just me as a tourist over here in Thailand I have never seen so many changes to Visa in every country,what’s up with these people..we come here 5 months for holiday and they say you come to much.. I don’t get it Thailand’s always advertising about wanting more tourist but they’re doing more to run them away then they are to get them here and what is so complicated about this visa situation you got to have $7000 in the bank you Gotta have 800,000 baht to be able to retire whoever heard of such no wonder everybody is going over to Vietnam over there they don’t even ask their welcome the foreign money when I get out of here I won’t be coming back I thought Thailand was a great place to vacation and spend my money  B but obviously they don’t want your money oh well mini ex patches left the country and everybody the state is here is going to foot the bill so you’ll have a nice life here in Thailand when I get home I will put on YouTube the Thailand is not the place to visit and not the place to retire to and not the place to vacation to immigration is rude and disrespectful to the tours to arrive in Bangkok they’re rude and disrespectful to the people who arrive Adam Young airport they’re just plain rude and disrespectful I for one will not tolerate it any more,,

5 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Completely irrational?

LOL China is next along with...

Thailand previously said the new regulation concerning financial statements would eventually also apply to visitors from China, France, and the United Kingdom.

????

3 hours ago, Rahibew said:

I wonder is it just me as a tourist over here in Thailand I have never seen so many changes to Visa in every country,what’s up with these people..we come here 5 months for holiday and they say you come to much.. I don’t get it Thailand’s always advertising about wanting more tourist but they’re doing more to run them away then they are to get them here and what is so complicated about this visa situation you got to have $7000 in the bank you Gotta have 800,000 baht to be able to retire whoever heard of such no wonder everybody is going over to Vietnam over there they don’t even ask their welcome the foreign money when I get out of here I won’t be coming back I thought Thailand was a great place to vacation and spend my money  B but obviously they don’t want your money oh well mini ex patches left the country and everybody the state is here is going to foot the bill so you’ll have a nice life here in Thailand when I get home I will put on YouTube the Thailand is not the place to visit and not the place to retire to and not the place to vacation to immigration is rude and disrespectful to the tours to arrive in Bangkok they’re rude and disrespectful to the people who arrive Adam Young airport they’re just plain rude and disrespectful I for one will not tolerate it any more,,

full stops are your friend - don't turn your back on them!

6 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Completely irrational?

shot_in_the_foot-target-stupidity-mistake-screw_up-tcrn155_low.jpg

Archived