Mastercard ties up with Tourism Authority of Thailand to draw more tourists from India

webfact

Mastercard ties up with Tourism Authority of Thailand to draw more tourists from India

Mastercard is enabling digital payments across over one million acceptance points in Thailand. It has named Bangkok the top travel destination in the world in its Global Destination Cities Index 2019.

By Evelyn Ratnakuma

bkk.jpg

Thailand is the usual answer for a quick and affordable overseas beach holiday for Indians. And making it even easier is Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), which has declared free visa on arrival for tourists from India until April 2020.

The country’s tourism authority has also tied up with Mastercard to enable digital payments for a more experiential visit for Indian tourists. Mastercard data pegs January, May, and December to be the preferred travel months for Indian tourists to Thailand. Further, it has noted a 20 percent increase in the amount of spends done via cashless transactions in Thailand in 2018-19.

Thailand’s capital city Bangkok tops Mastercard’s Global Destination Cities Index 2019 as the world’s best travel destination, a spot the city has occupied for four years in a row. Manasi Narasimhan, Vice President, Marketing and Communications, South Asia, Mastercard, told YourStory,

Read more at: https://yourstory.com/2019/12/mastercard-tourism-authority-thailand-tat-indian-tourists

-- YOUR STORY 2019-12-06

One day i tried to get cash money on my mastercard at the yellow bank in BKK and all 4 atm's went on tilt..the bank said i couldn't get cash on my mastercard so i went to BKK-bank, got cash on that card and went back to yellow bank to show them.

11 hours ago, Thian said:

Well 10% is still 130 million people..

Yes indeed, but the Indians I see in Pattaya are not from the 10% more like from the 90% I stated punching above their weight.????

In all the places in Thailand I have been where there are Indian tourists none had the flair and presence of people who are the top 10%.  And in some cases they had a smell more associated with the bottom 1%.  In one case whilst shopping for clothes at BoBae Tower one Indian bloke walk past me and I almost gagged!  It was the worse body odour I have ever experienced.  ????

Keep betting on the Chinese and Indians, you'll see what you'll have!
Good tourists have disappeared and will never come back!
Start removing <deleted>, it's much more important than all your unnecessary attempts!

Let thailand keep dreaming about Indians spending money in thailand it might sink in one day that they do not spend money they are arrogant and they smell , as the free sample of perfume spray they used in the duty free in bangkok airport as worn off , they are light fingered as well .

I can just picuture 4 or 5 of 'em sitting around the table paying for the ONE bottle of shared Coke with a MC LOL

All joking aside, I rather like the Indians, but, those I see here aren't really the spending types. The real benefit of having these kinds of budget tourists is that they keep hotels open, maids, receptionists, waiters, cooks, bus/taxi/tuk tuk drivers in jobs. Without them, I think the hospitality industry would suffer even more.

21 hours ago, nev said:

I would hazard a guess that 90% of Indians don't have or not able to obtain a credit card, So the rich 10% is who they are targeting?. 

Rich Indians yes... same as the rich Chinese, the Rich westerner.... in fact anyone that is rich!!!!

Come, spend, spend, spend and then go home!

Hilarious, the powers that be have just shot themselves in both feet courting the Indians and Chinese and now they can't even run to beg the westerners to come back....... Quality foresight and leadership.......

I will add though that my latest border run was a pleasure, the immigration officer waved two guys in front of me who were working on Kho Tao without a current work permit, but they told the officer that it was coming next week !  I was waved through without one question or proof of anything......... looks like the penny's dropped.....     Get em all back now before the whole lot goes down the pan.......

On 12/6/2019 at 8:31 PM, Thian said:

One day i tried to get cash money on my mastercard at the yellow bank in BKK and all 4 atm's went on tilt..the bank said i couldn't get cash on my mastercard so i went to BKK-bank, got cash on that card and went back to yellow bank to show them.

And the lesson behind that was forgotten 3 minutes later. Thais know best, no point arguing.

3 hours ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Hilarious, the powers that be have just shot themselves in both feet courting the Indians and Chinese and now they can't even run to beg the westerners to come back....... Quality foresight and leadership.......

I will add though that my latest border run was a pleasure, the immigration officer waved two guys in front of me who were working on Kho Tao without a current work permit, but they told the officer that it was coming next week !  I was waved through without one question or proof of anything......... looks like the penny's dropped.....     Get em all back now before the whole lot goes down the pan.......

Too late. If that penny has dropped, it dropped several social strata too low.

The penny dropped for me when a TV pundit described the causes of the death of the tourist industry in Spain and then in Greece and predicted the same would happen in Thailand. And as if by Magic...

On 12/7/2019 at 7:46 AM, nev said:

Yes indeed, but the Indians I see in Pattaya are not from the 10% more like from the 90% I stated punching above their weight.????

That's because you are in Pattaya. All the cheap package tours bring the Indians to cheap hotels in Pattaya, with 2 days in Bkk thrown in for shopping. The wealthier Indians are hosting big fat "destination" weddings in Hua Hin and Phuket, arriving by chartered plane loads. Or going to places where the hotels are more expensive, like Samui, Phi phi, Koh Lipi etc.  

All my life I was trained to report what I observed. And what I observe from my condo on the river in Bkk is: the cruise boats all seem to be playing a lot of Bollywood type music, so there must be many Indians there; at the Anantara hotel close to me, almost every few days I see some big fat Indian wedding being hosted, talked to some guests who said they had flown in just for 3-4 days for the wedding celebrations; and in my condo itself, see some vacation renters who're obviously Indian, haven't spoken with them yet.  

On December 6, 2019 at 7:46 PM, nev said:

Yes indeed, the tourists . Expats I see in pattaya, are not from the 10 percent, more like the 90 percent punching above their weight. 

Doesnt matter the nationality, pattaya attracts low end people period. 

On 12/6/2019 at 2:30 PM, nev said:

I would hazard a guess that 90% of Indians don't have or not able to obtain a credit card, So the rich 10% is who they are targeting?. 

It's mostly debit cards these days but I reckon you're still right. India's banking system seems completely messed up.

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

It's mostly debit cards these days but I reckon you're still right. India's banking system seems completely messed up.

Far far superior to the one we have here, with my experience with local banks in the last 6+years. Couple of years back, I had no option but to open an account in a bank in India, to deal with some local money transfers, and was pleasantly surprised. You almost never need to visit the bank for anything, unlike here, or the US. 

Archived