Minimum wage to be raised

webfact

Minimum wage to be raised 

By The Nation

800_347e51afe58cc0b.jpg?v=1575617555

The National Wage Committee announced on Friday (December 6) that it will raise the minimum wage by Bt6 for nine provinces and Bt5 for the rest of Thailand, Suthi Sukosol, Permanent Secretary of Labour, said.

Workers in Chon Buri, Phuket, Bangkok, Pathum Thani, Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon and Prachin Buri will receive the additional Bt6 a day.

This will give Phuket and Chonburi the highest minimum wages of Bt336 a day while those with the lowest minimum wages, Bt313/day, are Narathiwat and Pattani.

The Permanent Secretary believes that the adjustment is appropriate for the economic situation. It’s expected to give some balance while also benefiting Thailand’s economy.

The Committee will present the resolution to the Cabinet as soon as possible so that the measure can take effect by January 1, 2020.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30379141

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-12-06

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is quite amazing how these low paid worker manage to survive on such a small wage..I really feel for those doing heavy manual labour in this  hot/humid country, hour after hour under the blazing sun for a pittance !  ????

40 minutes ago, nev said:

6 baht goes nowhere it should be at least 20bat increase.

Its almost a 2% increase so in line with inflation. 20 baht would be almost a whopping 7%....vicious circle of high wage increases only makes the end product on the shelf more expensive. 

36 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Workers will be going out on the p++s celebrating such a fantastic wage increase.... damn pathetic, what is 6 baht a day going to mean? Sod all thats what.

Well, it's a kong of lao khao extra per day.  555

6 baht. Rather typical. These guys are so desperate to insure the poor stay poor. Is Sukosol part of the hotel empire of the same name? Would he know anything of minimum wage struggles? I tend to doubt it. 

What can one do with 6 baht these days and how does an administration take itself seriously, when it proposes a 2% pay hike? My guess is real inflation here is between 6 and 10%. What can one say?

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

Its almost a 2% increase so in line with inflation. 20 baht would be almost a whopping 7%....vicious circle of high wage increases only makes the end product on the shelf more expensive. 

:shock1: Your defending the rich getting even richer! at the working mans expense of course, no wonder the "social divide" continues to increase every year, guaranteed it will increase for a good few more years now with pathetic increases like this!

In the first place minimum wages should not be the same for all job sectors. For some businesses it’s already too high considered skills and productivity didn’t increase. A raise higher than inflation triggers even more inflation. 

1 hour ago, nursebob said:

at first I thought they meant 6 baht per hour, not per day.

That's what you'd assume, as did I. Then I read it again and it pissssed me off. ???? I HATE unfairness, even though we live in a thoroughly unfair universe.

5 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

The best thing of all is that a person sitting in Phuket or Chonburi is worth more than people doing the exact same work in Narathiwat or Pattani. That´s outright sick!

Are you serious ??? That's not that they worth more, but just that the cost of living is higher in these provinces.

1 minute ago, Pattaya46 said:

Are you serious ??? That's not that they worth more, but just that the cost of living is higher in these provinces.

Yes, I am serious! Of course it looks like their work are worth more in different provices.

If you choose to live in a province where things are expensive, then you must find a work suitable for that.

If you work in London in Mega Store as a cashier, or if you choose to live in Brighton and have the same work as a cashier. Is there a lower minimum salury in Brighton? No, it´s is not. That´s because the saluries are controlled through unions and business organisations and agreed upon to fit the whole country. That means that people doing the same work gets the same salury.

Archived