Incentives explored to encourage purchase of new vehicles

webfact

16 hours ago, nursebob said:

I think the Thai motor show is on this December. the motor industry is already down by 17 per cent this year, so they want to encourage new car sales because of that as well.

bring in proper MOTs like the UK.

I am guessing that a UK type of Ministry of Transport emission test in Thailand would take 50% of vehicles off the road . I have witnessed the Thai annual vehicle testing where the probe analyser is pushed into the vehicles exhaust pipe . One old pickup filled the garage with black smoke to the amusement of all but guess what ? it still passed the test . And what about the heavy goods vehicles that do not have silencers and pollute with fumes and ear shattering loud  roars .   

Talking sense  and taking actions are rarely carried out in Thailand which is surprising as most of the time they can generate financial gains .

20 hours ago, johng said:

Didn't the lovely Mrs Yingluck already do this ?? 

Yes, trouble was the incentive was in the form of a tax saving... which only benefited the rich who saw it a as a tax saving and good time to buy a second vehicle for the missus or Mia noi, the poor who really needed the help still couldn't buy one, those that did stretch the finances to get one soon realised they'd pushed themselves into debt.

But then she wasn't thinking about the environment... just buying votes with a populist policy.

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

good time to buy a second vehicle

I believe it was for first time buyers..not second vehicles for those that already had one.

6 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

just buying votes with a populist policy.

Not unlike the recent "eat,shop,spend"  populist policy

anyway better to buy some new tanks and a couple of submarines..than throw some crumbs to "the peasants"

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Incentives explored to encourage purchase of new vehicles

By The Nation

So what are they going to do? why not come up with a plan First before they start flapping their jaws. There's nothing wrong with older cars .Its the people that are wrong, No maintenance/ Not enough money.so why the push for new cars? same thing going to happen  with the new ones , and worse for the money situation because people are going into a bigger Debt. ????

On 12/6/2019 at 3:58 PM, torturedsole said:

Isn't Thai household debt running at record levels?  This really isn't a good idea but then what do I know.  ????

Thai household debt only rose by 7.9% last Year to an Average 340,000 Baht per household

So why not stick a new car on the private debt burden, and give BOT even less room to move on the Baht

On 12/6/2019 at 4:50 PM, Destiny1990 said:

I rather see Thais peddling on their brand new E bikes.

That is fine if you live in a city and don't have to travel far, but if you live in the rural areas and are on the minimum wage there is no way you can afford a new car.

On 12/6/2019 at 3:45 PM, webfact said:

The department suggested that they should launch incentive measures to encourage people to change cars.” 

He added that they will discuss with their partners the types of measures that could be introduced to reduce the cost burden on consumers

The above two sentences from the article contradict each other. A fine example of Thai logic. Duh, it hurts my brain.

On 12/6/2019 at 4:54 PM, nursebob said:

I think the Thai motor show is on this December. the motor industry is already down by 17 per cent this year, so they want to encourage new car sales because of that as well.

bring in proper MOTs like the UK.

Enforcement if it fails the test????

Back in UK a good few years ago I took my bike for it's MOT.

I spent two or three days getting everything checked myself and rode to the test centre. Guy checked it all and wrote out the pass cert'. Just before he gave it to me he said nip home, fit the chain guard on ( I forgor it while servicing the bike ) come back and pick up your cert'. Took 30 minutes to do and I came back and he stamped the cert' and gave it to me.

Can you see that happening here???

Archived