Ditching a ME Re-entry Permit before expiration

Hi

Visa: NON O-A   Valid from: 07-JAN-2019 Valid Until: 06-JAN-2020.
Currently in Thailand and have a permission to stay until 24-OCT-2020

Passport expires: 31-AUG-2020

Suppose I get a multiple-entry re-entry permit for my current permission to stay and then I leave Thailand and go back to my home country. I get myself a new passport (which I need to do since it is expiring soon).

I return with a new passport in Feb 2020 and show airport immigration the re-entry permit in my old passport in order to utilize my existing permission to stay. I do that a few times in 2020 until I decide I want to switch to a NON-O by converting from a visa exempt (before 24-OCT-2020).

Can I exit Thailand and re-enter without showing them my re-entry permit in my cancelled passport and get a Visa Exempt? My current passport will at that time have multiple entry stamps marked as NON RE.

Thanks
Peter

• Like 1

What you outline sounds fine. I must be missing something. Why don't you just use your current pp then apply for new pp here in Thailand prior to it's expiry. Exit country border run and reenter visa exempt. Attend imm and do conversion of ve to non o based on retirement. 

PP from oz takes couple weeks. Not sure about UK.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 4:03 PM, peterbkk2 said:

Visa: NON O-A   Valid from: 07-JAN-2019 Valid Until: 06-JAN-2020.
Currently in Thailand and have a permission to stay until 24-OCT-2020

Passport expires: 31-AUG-2020

Don't think that you right with this . Normally one can't stay in Thailand After ones Passport expires. 

I done my extension last year and they put the date ending from the extension the day date that my Passport expired that was 2 months before the 12 months extension was expired. so I got a new Passport months before that and my extensions are now from the new date.

13 hours ago, digger70 said:

Don't think that you right with this . Normally one can't stay in Thailand After ones Passport expires. 

I done my extension last year and they put the date ending from the extension the day date that my Passport expired that was 2 months before the 12 months extension was expired. so I got a new Passport months before that and my extensions are now from the new date.

I am not on an extension of stay. I am on a permission of stay based on a still-valid OA visa. I agree that extensions of stay are limited to the expiry date of the passport. Permission to stay based on a visa are not.

On 12/6/2019 at 4:48 PM, DrJack54 said:

What you outline sounds fine. I must be missing something. Why don't you just use your current pp then apply for new pp here in Thailand prior to it's expiry. Exit country border run and reenter visa exempt. Attend imm and do conversion of ve to non o based on retirement. 

PP from oz takes couple weeks. Not sure about UK.

I need to go back to OZ for personal reasons anyway. So I will apply for a new passport there since I am in Oz anyway and avoid the overseas surcharge for passport renewals.

7 hours ago, peterbkk2 said:

I am not on an extension of stay. I am on a permission of stay based on a still-valid OA visa. I agree that extensions of stay are limited to the expiry date of the passport. Permission to stay based on a visa are not.

788008419_11VisarequirementsO-A.thumb.jpg.aa526f5ea68f55bdded2dcea14809ad7.jpg