Downy fabric softener, or not?

wpcoe

I went to Tesco wanting to refill my Downy fabric softener bottle and bought this:

Downy_01.jpg.cc40e553772347dd00f76dc697977c3f.jpg

After I got home and opened up the package, I realized it was not the same consistency as previous fabric softeners, so then looked more closely at the packaging:

Downy_02.jpg.8259098e721982cbed35c308f17ae6e0.jpg

Have I mistakenly bought some sort of stain remover by Downy?  My reading of the words under Downy read "clean caring," which could mean anything.  (As an aside, I tried the Google Translate app to take photo, and it translated the first word as "IICSU"  Well, thanks a lot, Google. Even with Thai to English pre-selected it still doesn't read Thai script ,apparently.)

I think the symbols mean that it also works great as a dessert topping or even a worthy substitute for various condiments.  Let us know how it tastes!

In all seriousness though...I’ve always been a little confused when trying to choose a detergent.

At the right top "ผลิตภัณฑ์ซักผ้า" means "detergent product" (ซักผ้า=fabric cleansing, ผลิตภัณฑ์=product)

"Softener Product" is "ผลิตภัณฑ์ปรับผ้านุ่ม" (ปรับผ้านุ่ม=fabric softener) 

Some brands might print "น้ำยาซักผ้า" (detergent liquid) "น้ำยาปรับผ้านุ่ม"( fabric softener liquid) 

The key to avoiding confusion with different soap products with the same brand name is to note what else is on the supermarket shelf alongside what you think you are buying. In my experience, detergents are separated from the fabric conditioners.

That and learning some of the lingo.

Or letting the wife take care of it.

On 12/6/2019 at 4:55 PM, Airalee said:

I think the symbols mean that it also works great as a dessert topping or even a worthy substitute for various condiments.  Let us know how it tastes!

In all seriousness though...I’ve always been a little confused when trying to choose a detergent.

Especially with the more recent advent of liquid detergents. Before it was easy, laundry detergent was only powder and softener was always liquid.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The key to avoiding confusion with different soap products with the same brand name is to note what else is on the supermarket shelf alongside what you think you are buying. In my experience, detergents are separated from the fabric conditioners.

The odd thing is that this was not amongst the detergents.  I honestly can't remember if the Thai fabric softeners were near or not.  My eyes focused on the large Downy display because I was looking for Downy fabric softener refills.  Oh, well, the large bag of Attack (detergent, I hope!) I bought on the same trip will wait until I use up the Downy.

Thanks to all who cleared up my confusion.  

As an aside, I just did a load of laundry using the Downy detergent, and it did fine.  It must be pretty concentrated:  with the hard water I have I usually use two to three scoops of Attack whereas a single capful (fabric softener bottle cap) gave plenty of suds.

Archived