Sacred hair relic of the Buddha to enshrine in Thailand

snoop1130

By The Nation

800_269426011ce8cb2.jpg

The Wat Bovoranives Vihara Foundation, led by Somdet Phra Nyanasamvara and Somdet Phra Sangharaj, and the Culture Ministry will jointly hold a religious cremony to enshrine sacred hair relic of the Buddha from Sri Lanka at Wat Bowonniwet Vihara temple on December 15. The foundation is under royal patronage. 

Thai Buddhist are invited to witness the enshrining ceremony. They can also pay their respect at the temple from December 15 (after 1 PM) to 15 January 2020.

The ceremony is held to celebrate 700 years of Theravada Buddhism shared between Thailand and Sri Lanka.

Buddhist who wish to witness the ceremony should arrive at the Mahajetsadabodin Royal Pavilion by 8.30 AM. Prayers will take place during 7 - 8pm on Friday and Buddhist Sabbath day. Dress code is white casual. Visit https://forms.gle/UPCbjcTLHkri2hCN6 to donate or phone 02 610 236, 063 526 5359 for further information.

Source: nationthailand.com/news/30379145

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-12-06

4 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

How can they be sure it's Buddha's hair - has there been some DNA testing?

did he have siblings? otherwise, it would have taken some divine intervention, or broken (no touching) rules for him to become an ancestor of someone! 

BTW there's some more of his hair in Melbourne!!  (Bodhivana Monastry) ????‍♀️

6 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

They don't have to prove it. They only have to belief it. Just like all the rest of the religious myths, legends and relics that abound on this planet.

If they believe it, then it's true, no matter what anyone tries to tell them.

1 minute ago, Moonlover said:

They don't have to prove it. They only have to belief it. Just like all the rest of the religious myths, legends and relics that abound on this planet.

In that case, I believe I'll have another beer - even though I don't have any.

Would that make me a virtual drunk?

The relics scam alive and well in Thailand - as well as some other countries. I saw on UK news a few days ago that a piece of wood claimed to be from Jesus' crib has been moved to Palestine. Not from a IKEA wardrobe at all...

Superstitious gullibility seems to be a huge money-spinner in the world, they'll be praying to calendars next I suppose...

12 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Religion is the opiate of the masses.  Karl Marx

Opiates weren't seen as such a bad thing back then. Just a way to sleep or ease pain.

Thing that bothers me is that this relic obsession weaseled it's way into Buddhism. Buddha said the important thing was the teachings, not him. He said he couldn't save anyone, it was up to the individual.

That holy rivers etc aren't: if so, crocs and fish in Ganges would be holier than holy.

Holy hair, teeth, whatever have zero, zip, nada to do with essence of what Buddhism is about. Some or most people can't handle that. They haven't grown up and want daddy to take care of them

13 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I feel a virgin birth coming on

12 hours ago, Orton Rd said:
12 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Religion is the opiate of the masses.  Karl Marx

12 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

But even that is better than communism

Does that include the Taliban or Islamic State? I know which I would prefer.

15 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Considering how many hairs of the Buddha there are enshrined around the world, the man must've had a mop like a Rastafarian. Not to mention all those alleged tooth relics...

14 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

Considering how many hairs of the Buddha there are enshrined around the world, the man must've had a mop like a Rastafarian. Not to mention all those alleged tooth relics...

Could be a pubic hair..........

17 hours ago, bluesofa said:

In that case, I believe I'll have another beer - even though I don't have any.

Would that make me a virtual drunk?

A lot of people don't need beer. They get drunk on religion alone as clearly testified by their often rather curious actions, attitudes and speaking in tongues. I'll rather join you and stick to beer... even if it's only a virtual one.

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

By The Nation

So now we got a Hair? What's next , Toe nails, Bone fragments , Lamp shade made off skin? or a couple off teeth? Whoever came up with starting all the  religions must have been on Drugs. Ganja has been around for millions off years and also the Angels Trumpet, and to top that of they must have been Soft in the head Same as the people believing in everything under the sun like Ghosts an Spirits. I believe in Spirits that come in a Bottle that's as far as believe .How can one believe (or prove that it did exists) in something that they can't see? :crazy:

6 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:
22 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Ha ha, yes.

So for the benefit of trying to look at it reasonably scientifically, wouldn't it be a good idea for all of these alleged artefacts to be DNA tested?

Then at least it could be established whether they are all from the same person - or is that too practical a suggestion?

Also IIRC, didn't Buddha say something about believing nothing until you have seen the evidence for yourself?

9 hours ago, digger70 said:

So now we got a Hair? What's next , Toe nails, Bone fragments , Lamp shade made off skin? or a couple off teeth? Whoever came up with starting all the  religions must have been on Drugs. Ganja has been around for millions off years and also the Angels Trumpet, and to top that of they must have been Soft in the head Same as the people believing in everything under the sun like Ghosts an Spirits. I believe in Spirits that come in a Bottle that's as far as believe .How can one believe (or prove that it did exists) in something that they can't see? :crazy:

From what I read, he was cremated.  So how do any hairs remain?  Also what I read, yes, they did pick out some bone, teeth etc. to keep and immortalize.  Even though he told them not to.  But who ever listens to their boss.  As far as DNA testing, yes he had a son.  But trying to track down his (The Buddha's) lineage would probably not happen.  So your pretty much left up to believing or not believing.  Me, I don't care either way.  

Archived