Activist Thunberg completes intercontinental dash to Madrid climate summit

snoop1130

Activist Thunberg completes intercontinental dash to Madrid climate summit

tgyj.PNG

MADRID (Reuters) - Teenage activist Greta Thunberg pulled in on the overnight train to Madrid on Friday, heading to a gathering of world leaders she says are failing to combat climate change.

In just over a year, Thunberg has inspired younger protesters in a global movement demanding action to slow the atmospheric warming that climate scientists say could ultimately endanger the survival of industrial societies.

Stepping off the night train Lusitania at Chamartin train station in the Spanish capital, the 16-year-old Swede completed a hastily arranged expedition, including a 21-day catamaran voyage across the Atlantic, to a U.N. conference originally planned in Santiago, Chile.

Thunberg was met by a crowd of reporters but did not speak as she left the train.

“I successfully managed to sneak into Madrid this morning! I don’t think anyone saw me ... Anyway it’s great to be in Spain!” Thunberg tweeted after leaving the station.

The Lusitania, which runs daily, is the only direct train link between Lisbon and Madrid and takes nine hours to travel overnight between the capitals.

The annual summit kicked off on Monday with a call from U.N. chief Antonio Guterres not to be the “generation ... that fiddled while the planet burned”.

Thunberg is due to take part in a mass march and make a speech later in Madrid.

At the last U.N. climate event in September, she harangued delegates, demanding: “How dare you?” and declaring, “You have stolen my dreams.”

By this meeting’s close on Dec. 13, negotiators hope to resolve remaining disagreements on how to implement an agreement struck in Paris in 2015 to limit a rise in global temperatures to between 1.5 and 2 degrees Celsius over pre-industrial levels.

They saved the deal from disintegrating last year by agreeing guidelines for putting it into effect, but current pledges fall well short of the temperature target and sticking points remain among signatories.

President Donald Trump has started the process of withdrawing the United States, the top historic greenhouse gas emitter, from the accord.

Spain has said a desire to prevent this move from sapping morale around the project was one of its reasons for offering to host after riots over inequality prompted Chile to withdraw.

The Chilean delegation remains responsible for presiding over the negotiations.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-12-06

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the 2nd time I read about this incredible young girl today. The other story is on multiple media outlets and is about how she wants Facebook to censor her critics. She calls them conspiracy theorists and liars. I guess she knows everything and there is no chance she could be wrong about any aspect of anything, and therefore her word is the final say. We are so lucky to have her.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7617441/Climate-activist-Greta-Thunberg-demands-Facebook-users-urge-platform-responsibility-content.html

5 minutes ago, CGW said:

Some would suspect she is being used as a political tool, personally I think she just has lousy parents!

Don't worry, saying such things is normal at your age.

50 years ago the old people said the same about me.

You go girl!!!hold their feet to the fire!!!a cat accost the Atlantic!!!heck that more of an adventure than most of the posters here!!!we must start changing towards renewables in a measured responsible way it’s the future 

3 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

PS. Are you saying that comedians like Emma and you are entitled to special privileges?

The activists lost the argument long ago as the hypocrisy is overt and astounding.  I'll carry on flying business, nonetheless.  I do recycle my plastics if that helps.  

Extreme eco-warriors and fanatics of all causes often do more harm than good to their cause as the average person might agree to a certain extent but the freak-a-deek-a-dee-do factor is off-putting due to the fact that most people aren't lunatics. However, sadly now the only way to get attention is to shock or offend ... but that doesn't make you right, just makes you a nutjob.

Just now, Brigand said:

Extreme eco-warriors and fanatics of all causes often do more harm than good to their cause as the average person might agree to a certain extent but the freak-a-deek-a-dee-do factor is off-putting due to the fact that most people aren't lunatics.

I can guarantee you a greater % of adults across the western world believed in a climate crisis before it became adopted and politicized by the left. I would say in the US it could have even dropped from 90% down back when it was universally accepted, to less than 50% now, straight along party lines. A tragedy really if it turns out there is any truth to this climate malarkey.

1 hour ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

A puritan outlook on the world. Essentially, those of us who do not believe in her eco religion are guilty of original sin.

20191206_153142.jpg

Clearly you don't like her outlook. That's OK.

Perhaps you also don't like her looks?

You should be ashamed for your play with words.

oh yes, the media darling.  yet, no one has seen Noam Chomsky on Amerikeen TV since the clipboard and stopwatch guy “joked” about punching Chomsky in the face for saying.... South Vietnam would be a big mistake. in 1960 something.  

hmmmmm....

but Greta? massive darling almost Beatles-like.

because she keeps it vague, about her feelings and dreams.... “fossil fuel companies”..... and ‘No Fly’? oh that is merely a fashion thing for silly little Asperger girls.... and other children......... thus messaging to the audience..... that aviation is not the first baby step we have to take before anyone else does anything to scale. air travel is already 2 percent of global GHG yet everything we do involves GHG and only, even in 2019, more than 6 billion of us have never been inside an airplane even once in their life yet.  

just a girlie thang.... not...... physics. simple physics.

And unlike everything else, there is no solution to long haul air travel possible in 100 years.  Safety tested and rolled out for what is already 200,000 commercial aircraft. but it is about Greta’s “lost dreams”.  and only her’s.

tourism and air travel.  

more 3rd rail than the US Social Security system and Medicare put together. Greta is as fake as COP21 was.  so our media loves her, she is easy to dis and dismiss.  fun actually.

so yes, our media loves her?  ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ duh.

She has now become the Ambassador for the Bleeding Obvious.

The global wave of school strikes for the climate over the past year has “achieved nothing” because greenhouse gas emissions have continued to rise, Greta Thunberg has told activists at UN climate talks in Madrid.

As though she thought all those children skipping school were ever likely to be more than a passing nuisance.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/dec/06/greta-thunberg-says-school-strikes-have-achieved-nothing

12 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

This is the 2nd time I read about this incredible young girl today. The other story is on multiple media outlets and is about how she wants Facebook to censor her critics. She calls them conspiracy theorists and liars. I guess she knows everything and there is no chance she could be wrong about any aspect of anything, and therefore her word is the final say. We are so lucky to have her.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7617441/Climate-activist-Greta-Thunberg-demands-Facebook-users-urge-platform-responsibility-content.html

Correct. Shes not wrong. She agrees with the settled science.

36 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

She has now become the Ambassador for the Bleeding Obvious.

As though she thought all those children skipping school were ever likely to be more than a passing nuisance.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/dec/06/greta-thunberg-says-school-strikes-have-achieved-nothing

Yes its sad when the children accept the settled science only for adults to ignore established facts.

Makes one wonder who the children really are.

9 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Yes its sad when the children accept the settled science only for adults to ignore established facts.

Makes one wonder who the children really are.

Only children believe the science is settled. Grownups know that the unknown and unmeasurable aspects of climate are vast. And there is not much more than observations and climate models to illuminate the subject. Both of which are subject to manipulation and interpretation. Generating statistics which can be read however you like if know the art.

13 hours ago, sirineou said:

I agree, it's a shame when children have more sense than some adults.

It's a shame her parents haven't got any. I wonder how much s.h.iz.e was put into the atmosphere from the various vehicles taking this lot to the conference? How much hot air is going to be expelled into the atmosphere from the drivel these idiots are going to spout?

8 minutes ago, jesimps said:

It's a shame her parents haven't got any. I wonder how much s.h.iz.e was put into the atmosphere from the various vehicles taking this lot to the conference? How much hot air is going to be expelled into the atmosphere from the drivel these idiots are going to spout?

You guys are always making this ridiculous claim.

" If the activists were serious they would not take airplanes to go to the conferences." I really don't mean to be insulting but don't you realise how absurd that is?

How are they supposed to get there?? walk?  ride horses? take a rowboat? or do you think that in order they do something, it is better to stay home and do nothing?

6 minutes ago, sirineou said:

" If the activists were serious they would not take airplanes to go to the conferences." I really don't mean to be insulting but don't you realise how absurd that is?

How are they supposed to get there?? walk?  ride horses? take a rowboat? or do you think that in order they do something, it is better to stay home and do nothing?

Doesn't she walk on water?

Just now, ThaiBunny said:
7 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Doesn't she walk on water?

Cute, but does not address what I said.

Archived