Banana duct-taped to wall art installation sells for $120k in Miami

snoop1130

By David Mercer

skynews-banana-duct-tape-maurizio-cattelan_4858076.jpg

The work was on display at the Art Basel Miami Beach exhibition. Pic: Zeno ZottiJacopo Zotti

A banana duct-taped to a wall has been sold by an artist for $120,000 (£91,000).

The installation by Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan went on display at the Art Basel Miami Beach exhibition this week.

Organisers say two editions of the work, called Comedian, each sold for around $120,000 (£91,000) - and the price of a third edition has now reportedly been raised to $150,000 (£114,000).

Cattelan previously created the solid gold toilet stolen from Blenheim Palace in Oxfordshire earlier this year.

Full Story: https://news.sky.com/story/banana-duct-taped-to-wall-art-installation-sells-for-120k-in-miami-11879272

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

What can one say? A fool with his money. The artist is laughing all the way to the bank. 

How will this "installation" look once the banana spoils? Inane. Beyond inane. 

Well the 'Work' was called the comedian (could have called it the p1ss take).

I can just imagine the 'artist' now, "I need to pay off the rest of my mortgage, what can I sell next, oh I know, a used condom stretched over a cola bottle, I shall call it excrementia, should fetch around 200k"

Wouldn't it be great to have money to burn like that? I can accept these bananas as a kind of expressive statement (call it "art" if you like) but paying that much for a rotting banana is rather a moral outrage in a world where people are being murdered everyday over a dollar or two. 

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

By David Mercer

Should've put some Duct Tape on his Wallet then he wouldn't be able to open it and waste his money. 

Me think He pretty stupid. ????

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

What can one say? A fool with his money. The artist is laughing all the way to the bank. 

If you bought it for 120K then sold it the following year to another collector for 150K who would be the fool?

Rooster

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

As it rots, it will no doubt increase in value :crying:

10 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

If you bought it for 120K then sold it the following year to another collector for 150K who would be the fool?

Rooster

What's left of a rotted banana after a year? Surely the duct tape wouldn't hold that mess to a wall. What are these people thinking? 

Archived