Makro prices make no sense

SteveK

6 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I pay 300 baht/kg for Norwegian salmon at the Samyan market in central Bangkok.

If you are a "expatOilworker" you should know the main source of Norwegian salmon comes from "J.F", (Seadrill) wouldn't touch it, cheap food is cheap for a reason! Thai beef makes good jerky, apart from that I buy imported!

3 minutes ago, SteveK said:

If your business has fewer customers, surely to attract more you would lower prices? Why do Thais raise them? Inadequate education?

It gives the impression that it is of the highest quality and reserved for the most privileged ones.

9 minutes ago, SteveK said:

If your business has fewer customers, surely to attract more you would lower prices? Why do Thais raise them? Inadequate education?

They could be using a classic marketing trick.

Higher prices, therefore the customers think higher quality, therefore higher sales.

This  is common practice in Farangland.

Previous poster beat me to it......

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Where is that?

You don't mean the bill check after the checkout?

You can't take a bag in with you for starters, so you have to leave it outside or at their counter area and you can't put what you buy in bags at the till (such as you do at Big C) as security want to check everything and stamp the receipt. Totally over the top

My local branch has a very confusing pre packed dry aged beef policy the have loads of different cuts and weights with price stickers on the cabinet but not on the product in all the times I have been there I and the Mrs have failed to find a price and weight product match. My simple solution is now pick anyone and when we check out if we have picked a dear one it stays with the casher . Just wonder if this a local practice or is it company policy nationwide????? 

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

You can't take a bag in with you for starters, so you have to leave it outside or at their counter area and you can't put what you buy in bags at the till (such as you do at Big C) as security want to check everything and stamp the receipt. Totally over the top

Don't forget the motorcycle helmet.  Not sure what the problem is, to be honest.  

If you don't like their policy then go elsewhere.  

6 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

My local branch has a very confusing pre packed dry aged beef policy the have loads of different cuts and weights with price stickers on the cabinet but not on the product in all the times I have been there I and the Mrs have failed to find a price and weight product match. My simple solution is now pick anyone and when we check out if we have picked a dear one it stays with the casher . Just wonder if this a local practice or is it company policy nationwide????? 

Go shop elsewhere.  What exactly is the problem as all seems very dramatic.  

This is what we do - go to the local Makro, purchase our preferred products, pay for the products and leave.  We've never experienced any problems with this format.  

19 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

OP, you're a nice guy but should carefully consider your position in Thai society.  You don't seem comfortable which is concerning.  

What makes you think I'm not comfortable? I love it here.

Yes imported goods have risen blame it on where they import.

All this while prices for Chicken and pork and other items have gone down.

The exchange rate argument is very naive.  So every major store needs to hire an exchange rate administrator who changes the prices everyday for all items based upon the fluctuation in rates?

Maybe you should stop buying imported products.

34 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Every case is different.

I go by car only and so not affected by bags at all.

Never use any bags for Makro.

The receipt stamp is mostly a symbolic thing.

No way that can go through each item.

I try to slow the flood of plastic at BigC (fighting with 7/11 for number one plastic waster).

Senseless if going by car.

High end Villa Market does not give free plastic bags anymore.

Leave bags at the counter is not exclusive for Makro, Friendship Pattaya requires it too for example.

And "back home" there were some places like bookstores who insisted.

Just lowering the opportunities for shoplifters.

I hate it that now the receipt is in Thai only at the makro.

Last time we bought coconut oil but the bill was very high, i couldn't read it though so we walked out.

My wife read the bill and we accidently? bought coconut oil for 450 baht a litre....it smells very good though, now i wonder why the cheap coconut oil doesnt smell like that.

56 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

If you want supermarket service, go to a supermarket. Makro is a cash & carry outlet and operate on different principles. Accept it or go elsewhere.

43 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

Go shop elsewhere.  What exactly is the problem as all seems very dramatic.  

This is what we do - go to the local Makro, purchase our preferred products, pay for the products and leave.  We've never experienced any problems with this format.  

There's always one spanner in any toolbox????

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

Countrywide!! we have many similar drop offs for not same price at till  as advertised

A few months ago some cheese was on sale at 120 THb for kilo  mistake in pricing (Manager summoned  and  admitted as wife caused a stink) was found at cashier....

would they let us have it at that price no

it was left behind

Beef reasonable price here, Rimping have healthy beef mince 350bht kg would think that be on par with Australia these days.

I think margins high on imports as turn over slowed and use by dates come up. 

When I was in png years ago we got great deals purchasing fcls from aust and nz. Don't think one supplier selling fcl of 1 product here.

If you see it at good price fill the freezer.

Other option eat less.

????????????

1 hour ago, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

Beef reasonable price here, Rimping have healthy beef mince 350bht kg would think that be on par with Australia these days.

I think margins high on imports as turn over slowed and use by dates come up. 

When I was in png years ago we got great deals purchasing fcls from aust and nz. Don't think one supplier selling fcl of 1 product here.

If you see it at good price fill the freezer.

Other option eat less.

????????????

What has happened to Bruceland???

Minced meat is double the Belgian price (6 euro)? And for a tender steak we pay 10 euro = 330 baht a kilo....

Makro is cheap for something but more expansive than others.

Sometimes, even something as simple as pumpkin can be 29 baht/kg at Makro, whilst 19 baht/kg at Big C

Keep in mind price on imported goods may not be directly related to current exchange rate as Makro may have placed an order at a fixed rate many months or even years ago.

Then of course take into the account, its not just the exchange rate but also cost of doing business. So if cost of business went up, so would the prices

How on earth BIg C sells beer in single bottles cheaper than buying by the box from a wholesaler?

I can concur I have seen some silly pricing at Makro's and Tesco's recently.

For instance 8 wholewheat wraps total weight 300 grams cost about 80 something baht. But the same brand slightly larger sized wholewheat wraps total weight 360 grams cost about 260 something baht.. so that just doesn't make any sense whatsoever unless some businesses need to buy the larger ones for some specific reason.

I pointed this out to a member of staff that the pricing was probably a mistake and she looked at the packet and just said ''ahhh ya-gi-in jang" meaning oh she would like to eat one. .

..its a bit like living in 'none-sense-land' sometimes ????

I've seen similar silly 4 x pricing on Kellogg's corn flakes but they were priced normally again the next time I visited (just 2 x the western price) so I think they might try on different pricing to see what they can get away with charging before they stop selling.

This is why I do not pay over the odds otherwise they will think they can charge the higher price and get away with it. 

15 minutes ago, BestB said:

Makro is cheap for something but more expansive than others.

Sometimes, even something as simple as pumpkin can be 29 baht/kg at Makro, whilst 19 baht/kg at Big C

Keep in mind price on imported goods may not be directly related to current exchange rate as Makro may have placed an order at a fixed rate many months or even years ago.

Then of course take into the account, its not just the exchange rate but also cost of doing business. So if cost of business went up, so would the prices

How on earth BIg C sells beer in single bottles cheaper than buying by the box from a wholesaler?

In marketing this is called "loss leaders"

9 hours ago, elliss said:

Your  pastry looks good , what is your majic mix ?. 

All purpose flour from Big C with non salted butter. Blend thoroughly by hand and slowly add ice water.

Mix with fork until it starts to cone together then with flowered hands kneed into a ball. Pop that in the fridge for an hour then roll out on a clean floured counter.

When the pies are assembled , beat an egg and glaze the tops to give a nice look then in the oven.

It's a bit time consuming but when it's really cold is the best time for making pastry. Only 19 today and yesterday.

31 minutes ago, Denim said:

All purpose flour from Big C with non salted butter. Blend thoroughly by hand and slowly add ice water.

Mix with fork until it starts to cone together then with flowered hands kneed into a ball. Pop that in the fridge for an hour then roll out on a clean floured counter.

When the pies are assembled , beat an egg and glaze the tops to give a nice look then in the oven.

It's a bit time consuming but when it's really cold is the best time for making pastry. Only 19 today and yesterday.

wow.. you are amazing... good for you - but it makes me want to head for a drive through window... 

On 12/7/2019 at 7:20 AM, Denim said:

If you have a food processor, then give it a quick blitz in that. You avoid the heat from your hands and so the butter doesn't melt.

On 12/6/2019 at 9:45 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Every case is different.

I go by car only and so not affected by bags at all.

Never use any bags for Makro.

The receipt stamp is mostly a symbolic thing.

No way that can go through each item.

I try to slow the flood of plastic at BigC (fighting with 7/11 for number one plastic waster).

Senseless if going by car.

High end Villa Market does not give free plastic bags anymore.

Leave bags at the counter is not exclusive for Makro, Friendship Pattaya requires it too for example.

And "back home" there were some places like bookstores who insisted.

Just lowering the opportunities for shoplifters.

It doesn't bother me either that Makro don't give plastic bags. I have a couple of big bags in the car.

Anyway, Big C have announced that they will stop using plastic bags soon. I can't remember when it comes into effect. January or February, I think.

Archived