Shellac

lujanit

50 minutes ago, lujanit said:

Thanks for the advice.  I have to go to Bang Plo tomorrow to pick up some pre-ordered wood. Hopefully they are open.

Probably not as it’s Sunday but I haven’t been there on a Sunday. Do please update on the numbers of shops that are open or closed.

i assumed that you wanted shellac powder. If you want premixed shellac in a variety of colours then it’s available in virtually every big hardware shop. This is one of about 3 brands that are easily available.5FAC2E5F-DEB0-4B74-9F8E-8065C63B1F90.thumb.jpeg.87258d4e61a10db8e6ca33d2f2ee5873.jpeg

Again thank-you.  I noticed some stuff on the Homepro site yet I think they are water based.  I wanted to seal the timber as it is pine.

Do you know if the powder is a sealer, if not what do you suggest I use.  I want to stain the timber mahogany with a satin or semi- gloss finish.

46 minutes ago, lujanit said:

Again thank-you.  I noticed some stuff on the Homepro site yet I think they are water based.  I wanted to seal the timber as it is pine.

Do you know if the powder is a sealer, if not what do you suggest I use.  I want to stain the timber mahogany with a satin or semi- gloss finish.

All the premixed ones I showed you are alcohol based. And available in beer bottle sizes or gallon jugs. 

they are probably about a 2lb cut so get a gallon of alcohol to dilute them down as a sanding sealer then put on a coat or 2 of the mahogany toned finish until you get a colour you like. I usually use a water based polyurethane as a top coat since shellac isn’t very hard wearing, although I do have a French polished pine tool box I made as an experiment that has held up surprisingly well

The powder is pure shellac so depending on the cut (½ lb) it’s a sealer or anything up to 4 lb a finish. 

Here is a metric chart I made up if you want to use the powder 

I usually make a 4 lb cut and dilute that as needed

3C73D302-A1C8-403F-B1BE-E6BD9AC71217.jpeg.4c329fc6a202dbd54d27d13af7046cbd.jpeg

the Carco and Sharks brand on the HomePro site are alcohol based, the RPS is a waterbased finish, I haven’t tried to see if it’s any good.

the colour chart above is Carco, sharks colour numbers are not the same

https://www.homepro.co.th/search?q=Shellac+ 

On 12/7/2019 at 7:56 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

Probably not as it’s Sunday but I haven’t been there on a Sunday. Do please update on the numbers of shops that are open or closed.

I didn’t get too many shop numbers however about half the shops in the first half of Soi 24 were open. The further I went down the Soi the less shops were open.

A few timber shops were open. None of the big hardware shops were open save maybe two.

Maybe so many were open due to the time of year.  I have no starting reference to go by.

Archived