BANGKOK
doggie1955

Do you need a yellow book to buy a car or bike in Thailand?

I just had a friend buy a truck and also a bike without a yellow book, can you do that 

here in Thailand. And he is only on a 90 day visa...

28 minutes ago, doggie1955 said:

can you do that 

here in Thailand.

no yellow book required.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, doggie1955 said:

I just had a friend buy a truck and also a bike without a yellow book, can you do that 

here in Thailand. And he is only on a 90 day visa...

Your friend did this, so obviously that's possible. What's the purpose of this thread?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

What's the purpose of this thread?

Maybe because his friend was on a Non O or similar and he's not? I was told I couldn't transfer a bike into my name on a METV but I did and had no problems.  It may depend on the office.

When I renewed my driving licence I was told I needed a 12 month visa - that was fine as I had one at the time. As with most officialdom in Thailand - different offices have different rules.

• Like 1

"Do you need a yellow book to buy a car or bike in Thailand?"  NO !

Normally you just need proof of address plus a Work Permit or a longer term visa - if buying cash.

• Confused 1

Most DLTs you will have a choice of presenting a resident certificate "OR" a yellow book (if you have one), to transfer a vehicle.

Its not needed to transfer a vehicle, its just an option if you have one, otherwise its a Res Cert or letter from consulate etc.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Normally you just need proof of address plus a Work Permit or a longer term visa - if buying cash.

Correction, "Normally you just need proof of address or a Work Permit or housebook". Visa type and cash or finance have no bearing on car registration.

Edited by stevenl

4 hours ago, Kinnock said:

A work permit or long term visa is not required

Normally you would have to go to the IO and get a letter of address confirmation it used to cost 500 baht but since I have had my yellow book and ID card I always use that and have never had any problems.

Bought a new bike asked if I could put in my name... dealer said no.

reason was to lazy... so down the road I went. 

In my experience, my yellow book was accepted for proof of residential address by the dealership setting up the finance. This was with Ford (Tisco finance) in Udon Thani.

Twice.

YMMV

Edited by NanLaew

9 hours ago, jackdd said:
14 hours ago, Kinnock said:

A work permit or long term visa is not required

Logically a WP is only required for a financed package but I can imagine some dealerships, when confronted with a farang wanting an outright cash purchase, will insist on getting all the boxes checked because their boss or the owner of the dealership says it has to be so.

On my first car purchase, that particular Honda salesman and dealership were horrible to deal with so we ended up taking the path of least resistance and putting it in Mrs NL's name. Subsequently the sales lady at Ford had an attitude akin to the American car salesman's "Let's see what we can do to get YOU in YOUR car today shall we?" Done and dusted in 5 days with 3 of those waiting for the finance company to approve.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1