BANGKOK
Thaivisa Web Content Team

Mainland Chinese Students Are Now the Best in the World at Math, Science and Reading

Students from four mainland Chinese locales have taken the top spot in a global benchmarking test, edging out previous topnotcher Singapore, based on survey results released Tuesday.

Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) assessed the performance of 15-year-old students in science, mathematics and reading from 79 education systems worldwide.

The assessment was determined via the Programme for International Student Assessment (Pisa) survey conducted last year, according to the South China Morning Post.

Around 4,000 and 8,000 students from each education system were assessed this year. All students that took part in the triennial assessment registered a mean score of 489 points in science, 489 in math and 487 in reading in this year’s edition.

Randomly selected high school students from Chinese mainland cities Beijing, Shanghai, and provinces Jiangsu and Zhejiang came first in all three categories, scoring 590 points in science, 591 points in mathematics, and 555 points in reading.

Singapore students, which came first in the last survey in 2015, took the second spot, scoring 551, 569 and 549, in the same categories respectively.

Mainland Chinese students have outperformed their international counterparts “by a large margin” particularly in mathematics and science, noted OECD Secretary General Angel Gurria, in the report’s opening remarks.

Full article

Well, I'm not totally surprised, still, there is a downside to this. One of which Thailand is, I guess, well aware. There's a reason most UK, USA, and Thai students are ill-educated. 

I wonder where China would be if, like most of the other countries on the list, they had taken a more or less random sample of students across the WHOLE of their great land ...

What is China even doing on this list if all other countries were randomly tested but China picked their best provinces?

I guess the people responsible for this test have some nice new cars now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This not means much. China indeed is a very big country...and yet most (rich) mainlanders let their kids go study in USA,Australia or Europa. I wonder why....if the chinese education is so good...??

One thing is sure....most educated Chinese do NOT speak very good english. At least that is my experience. Even fe flight staff...or personal at airports speak horendously bad english. Not spaying I am perfect but i can manage quite well in spoken English. Also in German (hehehe),Dutch and Spanish. My French gets a bit rusty....

my 2 cents.

Hans

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hans007 said:

This not means much. China indeed is a very big country...and yet most (rich) mainlanders let their kids go study in USA,Australia or Europa. I wonder why....if the chinese education is so good...??

One thing is sure....most educated Chinese do NOT speak very good english. At least that is my experience. Even fe flight staff...or personal at airports speak horendously bad english. Not spaying I am perfect but i can manage quite well in spoken English. Also in German (hehehe),Dutch and Spanish. My French gets a bit rusty....

my 2 cents.

Hans

Well if you thought your post through, USA, Australia and 'Europe' are English, or other speaking countries. Chinese kids are taught to pass exams, and the oral element of the English exam is only 5%. You get 1% for saying 'Hello, my name is....'

Therefore to spend 3/4/5 years in an English speaking education system drastically improves their spoken skills.

Masters/Batchelor graduates do not work behind the desks at airports or dishing up meals on flights.

On 12/7/2019 at 6:02 PM, mfd101 said:

I wonder where China would be if, like most of the other countries on the list, they had taken a more or less random sample of students across the WHOLE of their great land ...

China has a national curriculum, the same across the country. The size of the population and the country in itself would deter the PISA people from spending forever selecting 8000 students from across the country. It's just not practical.

• Like 1

Little wonder.

They account for 1 in 6 people on the planet and get put in camps if they fail the 17 hours of study per day. 

24 minutes ago, Hans007 said:

One thing is sure....most educated Chinese do NOT speak very good english. At least that is my experience.

I presume once this became apparent, you switched to conversing with them in fluent, tonal Mandarin. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Little wonder.

They account for 1 in 6 people on the planet and get put in camps if they fail the 17 hours of study per day. 

No they do not.

Neither do they study 17 hours a day. 9/10 average maybe.

Aren't you the guy who advocates the Singapore cane at every opportunity?

That's weird.

• Like 1

scary if only indicative. they are greedy, disciplined, many, and now the best

educated too, with a low comparative income, we are going to

be out-competed.

raise the alar  eh... tariffs !!!

Edited by brokenbone

On 12/8/2019 at 9:24 PM, Traubert said:

China has a national curriculum, the same across the country. The size of the population and the country in itself would deter the PISA people from spending forever selecting 8000 students from across the country. It's just not practical.

Thailand has a national curriculum too, but those students chosen from good school in bangkok far outpoerform those from rural areas. I'm sure the same would be true for China. I suggest the Chinese results are biased and would not reflect the average score obtainable across their country.