Tesla boss Elon Musk wins defamation trial over 'pedo guy' tweet

rooster59

10 minutes ago, colinneil said:

When this was first reported, i said they were both in the wrong, just let it go.

I was attacked by a few on here, but i was correct, the jury agreed with me.

Why Vern had to go after such a large sum was crazy, not using common sense, but listening to lawyers who just push, push for large sums so they make money.

Now Vern will only be known as the guy chasing a large payout and got nothing.

I guess, but I am not sure, the jury could have called Musk guilt and then instructing him to pay a small payout.

But then that was a small payout for a guy like Musk. A couple of days ago he "lost" over 700 million in one day on the stock market. And I am sure Musk didn't have to change his lifestyle because of that little loss. For some people hundreds of millions are pocket change.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not sure what I find more disturbing: The verdict or all the comments here which basically say it's no problem to call someone pedo-guy.

How would you react if someone famous called you that name in public? Repeatedly!

And let's not forget Musk hired someone to find (pedo) dirt about the guy he just called pedo-guy.

But then he argues that was just a bad word like any other insult. BS!

This is ample demonstration of how fabulously corrupt the American judicial system is. He with the greatest amount of money to throw at a legal team can nearly always taint the decision of a jury. OJ Simpson proved that. And he was a black man! A rich, white man getting convicted in the US? Does not happen often. 

This decision is a travesty of justice with an outcome that was likely from the beginning. And it emboldens rich,  reactionary numskulls like Musk and others. It seems like words have no meaning anymore in America. That is how far the culture has fallen.  No matter how mean spirited or harmful. Not a good outcome for society. 

The US is Western Rome ten years before Odoacer marched in and sacked the city, in my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am not sure what I find more disturbing: The verdict or all the comments here which basically say it's no problem to call someone pedo-guy.

How would you react if someone famous called you that name in public? Repeatedly!

And let's not forget Musk hired someone to find (pedo) dirt about the guy he just called pedo-guy.

But then he argues that was just a bad word like any other insult. BS!

What are your thoughts about someone telling you to stick something where it hurts? Do you think that's right?

I did not expect anything else, a rich man always wins and everywhere!
Result: lost money, lost time, lost the cause, and for what?
I'm not happy that Elon Musk has won, but even in the USA the system is totally corrupt!

The plaintiff, Vernon Unsworth, was seeking $190 million damages against Musk, who during the trial estimated his net worth at $20 billion.

Unsworth make the mistake of listening to greedy lawyers asking for such an outlandish amount of money and got what he deserved, which is absolutely nothing.

7 minutes ago, sirineou said:

What are your thoughts about someone telling you to stick something where it hurts? Do you think that's right?

I think that is a "normal" insult like calling someone an idiot or something like that.

Basically nobody takes it literally to stick whatever in that place.

And it's soon forgotten.

Lots of guys who visit Thailand are accused by people, especially from "back home", to be sex tourists. My answer to that is: I like lots of pretty girls.

But some of those people go further and accuse Thailand visitors to mess around with kids. And that is in my opinion a night a day difference. Calling someone pedo-guy is a very serious insult. And I am pretty sure in many countries people would be legally punished for making a remark like that in public.

Americans wonder why the world holds them in contempt. Dislike you can overcome, you can just be nice, contempt is a little harder. You need humility.

Americans can never admit they were wrong.

To all the Americans commenting here, if I turn up in a bar and call you a pedo, what will you do? Forgive me as Christians?

1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

Vern should not have wasted his time and money. 

That aggressive defamation nonsense only works in undeveloped countries like Thailand. 

Never should have mouthed off about Musk's efforts to help either. 

If that's not defamation I don't know what is

There's clearly a lot of Musk fanboys out there, and some sit on Jury's.  Jury selection and manipulation is an art form in the US, so this case will have been lost before it started.

And perhaps some were Catholic clergy and didn't see the comment as an insult?

1 minute ago, Kinnock said:

There's clearly a lot of Musk fanboys out there, and some sit on Jury's.  Jury selection and manipulation is an art form in the US, so this case will have been lost before it started.

And perhaps some were Catholic clergy and didn't see the comment as an insult?

So who made the decision to take the case to the US?

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

This is just wrong.

I know that both sides do share some blame, but labeling a guy 'Pedo' on a public forum for no good reason should not be allowed.

I am a fan of Elon most of the time, but not at this time.

Hey Elon! Do the right thing and cut this guy a cheque for all his attorney's fees; you are a multi-billionaire and it is (literally!) the least that you can do.

1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

Vern should not have wasted his time and money. 

That aggressive defamation nonsense only works in undeveloped countries like Thailand. 

Never should have mouthed off about Musk's efforts to help either. 

Only the time was his - the money is believed to be his mother's who also was the primus  motor - poor guy in all contexts ....

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

He had a golden opportunity and he squandered when he went after the quick payoff.

After Musk apologised he should have held a press conference , said he was also sorry so telling Musk to stick it. Emotions were running high , bla bla bla,  I would like to meet Musk and talk man to man, They mee have lunch, a couple of bears and ar buddies, , come out proclaim water under the bridge. 

Does not hurt to have a friend like musk IMO. 

"Does not hurt to have a friend like musk IMO."  The only problem with that is Musk would measure friendship with what the other person can do for him..........  

31 minutes ago, sirineou said:

There's a legal difference between insults and defamation.

If I called you a speccy four eyed twit ...... that would clearly be an insult and not legally actionable.

If I called you a pedophile (after you had just been working with children), then repeated the claims to a reporter, and hired a private detective to look for dirt on you, entirely different matter, as I would have been clearly trying to harm you, your income, and your reputation.

2 minutes ago, canopy said:

Making a lawsuit for $190,000,000 in damages sounds about right.

I can happily be called worse for less .... :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think that is a "normal" insult like calling someone an idiot or something like that.

Basically nobody takes it literally to stick whatever in that place.

And it's soon forgotten.

Lots of guys who visit Thailand are accused by people, especially from "back home", to be sex tourists. My answer to that is: I like lots of pretty girls.

But some of those people go further and accuse Thailand visitors to mess around with kids. And that is in my opinion a night a day difference. Calling someone pedo-guy is a very serious insult. And I am pretty sure in many countries people would be legally punished for making a remark like that in public.

Elon Musk is a public person with a lot invested on his reputation, when someone goes on National TV and calls him out, Calling his endeavour a Publicity stunt, and insulting his masculinity  by suggesting that Musk's work is so faulty that he should "stick it where it hurts"  what do you think it would had done to his reputation?? At that level you show weakness you are tost.

There is a saying "it is better to lose an eye than to lose your good name" 

How many others do you think would have gone after him if they thought he was an easy roll-over,

Archived