Tesla boss Elon Musk wins defamation trial over 'pedo guy' tweet

rooster59

A 190 million dollar win would have been universe changing for old Vern. One can see the motivation, I am sure he had folks convincing him he could win. But it's not easy to steal the big dogs bone, and if common sense was in play Vern would have left it alone.

It is amazing what he found to do with his hero status. Just had to hold his tongue for a few minutes.

As for Musk, well he defended himself and his team, but he, like Vern, should have chosen his words better. Elon on the other hand, could afford to be flippant.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sirineou said:

He had a golden opportunity and he squandered when he went after the quick payoff.

After Musk apologised he should have held a press conference , said he was also sorry so telling Musk to stick it. Emotions were running high , bla bla bla,  I would like to meet Musk and talk man to man, They mee have lunch, a couple of bears and ar buddies, , come out proclaim water under the bridge. 

Does not hurt to have a friend like musk IMO. 

What makes you think Musk would have any interest in meeting him other than in court?

9 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

"Does not hurt to have a friend like musk IMO."  The only problem with that is Musk would measure friendship with what the other person can do for him..........  

I am not sure what Musk measures friendship with, we are not that close.

but assuming you are correct, What it would had done for Musk would had being to diffuse the situation, and I am sure that was of value to Musk.

Hahahahaha RESULT!

190 million lawsuit!!!

Someone was suffering from nitrogen narcosis. I am so glad this lawsuit came back with a unanamous and resounding "NO" to such nonesence. The only winners were the lawyers! Im so glad Musk did not capitulate and took it to trial.

Musk 1

Unsworth 0

3 minutes ago, Dukeleto said:

Hahahahaha RESULT!

190 million lawsuit!!!

Someone was suffering from nitrogen narcosis. I am so glad this lawsuit came back with a unanamous and resounding "NO" to such nonesence. The only winners were the lawyers! Im so glad Musk did not capitulate and took it to trial.

Musk 1

Unsworth 0

Unsworth was, is and will be a hero, remembered long after his demise for his bravery.

Musk is a grubby little PEJ who will be dismissed in history without a second thought.

See what I mean about dignity? 

No, you probably can't even spell it.

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

Unsworth's lawyers took the case on pro bono, so it'd just be the travel costs I guess. But yes, it's a disgraceful outcome. Do the US courts and juries not understand the gravity of the accusations Musk repeatedly made? 

More importantly, they look after their own!

24 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

There's a legal difference between insults and defamation.

If I called you a speccy four eyed twit ...... that would clearly be an insult and not legally actionable.

If I called you a pedophile (after you had just been working with children), then repeated the claims to a reporter, and hired a private detective to look for dirt on you, entirely different matter, as I would have been clearly trying to harm you, your income, and your reputation.

Correct answer.

As clear a case of defamation as there ever was.

I wouldn't worry though, Musk will get done criminally in the Thai courts.

Just now, simtemple said:

Do you think this is libel? You'd better hope that Elon doesn't read your accusation. 

Not quite.

Some of jury quite possibly own Tesla vehicles. 

That could be argued that owning a Tesla, or having a positive experience with the brand affected their decision while members of the jury.

An example of libel would be if the poster stated "Elon Musk bribed the jury to deliver a favourable verdict by purchasing them all Tesla model 3's as a reward".

1 hour ago, MasterBaker said:

now that a defamation, dude

Well a Pedo gets treated much harder by the law then someone who pays or gets a bribe. So I think I should be safe.

I am just offended by the verdict, so it is just natural to make this assumption. So I just use the same line of defence Musky Boy did use. ☺️

2 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Vern should not have wasted his time and money. 

That aggressive defamation nonsense only works in undeveloped countries like Thailand. 

Never should have mouthed off about Musk's efforts to help either. 

That was  my opinion at the time also but got  repeatedly slagged  off by some members, although not nice what Musk said Id  hardly  call it  a life changing comment in anyway.

1 hour ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

A reputation for being a peedo in the UK is a death sentence.

Rubbish and shows  how childish some people really are if thats what they think when anyone is  accused of that..............convicted is another matter

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

This is just wrong.

I know that both sides do share some blame, but labeling a guy 'Pedo' on a public forum for no good reason should not be allowed.

I am a fan of Elon most of the time, but not at this time.

Hey Elon! Do the right thing and cut this guy a cheque for all his attorney's fees; you are a multi-billionaire and it is (literally!) the least that you can do.

I wonder if there are attorney fees, I know many so called lawyers that would be happy to get involved for the notiety. 

Just now, faraday said:

Vern may have started it, but Musk's reply was inappropriately rude.

How much has Vern got to pay?

Probably nothing many low end attorneys would be happy to get there name in the act contingent upon a settlement. 

Vern should have keep his mouth shut. I am not a fan of Elon Musk but he did offer a solution at his expense  

1 hour ago, 30la said:

I did not expect anything else, a rich man always wins and everywhere!
Result: lost money, lost time, lost the cause, and for what?
I'm not happy that Elon Musk has won, but even in the USA the system is totally corrupt!

All losers agree with you. 

2 hours ago, MarineEquine said:

One law for the rich and another for the poor. 

Suing for a 190 million dollar for being called a pedo is ridiculous. Vern saw dollar signs and thankfully the jury saw it what it was. Musk was wrong and should apologize and maybe buy Vern a case of beer. But suing for 190 million dollars of damages is bs greed. 

Very bad decision by the jury--although the damage amount being asked for was way too high.  Defamation has always been very serious but in the age of Twitter and the like, one must be made to be accountable for what one says--especially if one is famous with millions of followers.  As a previous poster said, Vern will be forever branded on social media and the internet, incorrectly and unfairly, as 'pedo guy'.  For that, Musk should have been held accountable. 

1 hour ago, BestB said:

I never realised he was seeing $180 million in damages . Hardly surprising he lost

maybe if he was more smart and seeking $100000-200000 he would of won but $$180 million ?????

I completely agree. Going after such an absurd amount of "compensation" for supposed damages caused in such a childish situation killed any sincerity or credibility the plaintiff's case may have potentially had. 

I expect the plaintiff will now go after his lawyer for damages caused by going after such an idiotic amount of money. ????

Archived