Tesla boss Elon Musk wins defamation trial over 'pedo guy' tweet

rooster59

One has to be careful with insults and how people react. 

One from UK a few years back now. A bloke was working up in the attic of his house on a hot day, and his wife commented on this. 

He said "hot!, yes I am sweating like the Cambridge rapist" 

She divorced him. 

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This case was not a “Slam Dunk”.  In terms of Defamation in a US Court the elements were not met.  If the Defamatory term is subject to interpretation then it would be difficult case. If Musk had actually called Unsworth a “Pedopile” in his tweet then the outcome could have been different?  

9 minutes ago, monkfish said:

Unsworth didn't risk his life for anyone so don't go down that path he did go on CNN and insulted another guy who tried to help save the kids though i mean how low can you go.

Unsworth is a cave explorer who had previously mapped every metre of the cave system...he was the man who approached the authorities and persuaded them to allow the best in world in the underwater cave rescue scene who he happened to be friends with to get involved...without Vernon those children would all have died..the man is a hero whose only crime was to use a coarse British idiom at a time when he and the team where under great stress to save the children while the world watched....the "submarine wouldnt have got 50m into the cave" because Vernon knew it and probably understood that Musk WAS using this tragedy for his own purposes

2 hours ago, gamini said:

I have no sympathy for the greedy low life foul mouthed guy. Musk spent millions of baht trying to help as well his valuable time. It made my day when I heard that he had lost the case.

greedy low life foul mouthed guy.

how dare u call a hero who is primarily responsible for those children being alive today that

4 hours ago, BestB said:

You could say anything you like. Only question was not about having or not having money.

You comment and say Unsworth is a nobody. What God given right do you have to brand someone a nobody? Perhaps you have done extraordinary things in your life which pale into insignificance a man's genuine efforts to rescue 12 boys trapped in a cave. Pray tell all about your achievements. I am interested to learn.

Den

36 minutes ago, monkfish said:

Unsworth didn't risk his life for anyone so don't go down that path he did go on CNN and insulted another guy who tried to help save the kids though i mean how low can you go.

Depends what pressure the submarine can withstand me thinks. 5555

Den

21 minutes ago, johnnyonesock said:

Unsworth is a cave explorer who had previously mapped every metre of the cave system...he was the man who approached the authorities and persuaded them to allow the best in world in the underwater cave rescue scene who he happened to be friends with to get involved...without Vernon those children would all have died..the man is a hero whose only crime was to use a coarse British idiom at a time when he and the team where under great stress to save the children while the world watched....the "submarine wouldnt have got 50m into the cave" because Vernon knew it and probably understood that Musk WAS using this tragedy for his own purposes

I'm not sure, but from memory, I believe it was the Thai authorities who asked for help - I remember thinking at the time "That's gotta be a first!"

And to put in my penny's worth - there's a big difference between telling someone where they can stick their unsuitable piece of technology to calling someone a pedophile (and unsuccessfully trying to dig up dirt on that person)

And also from memory, most posters on here sat the time were singing Vernon's praises - now he is being vilified by most for claiming excessive damages against Musk! The amount was most probably/definitely not his decision but the lawyers'. The bigger the claim. the more they get - right?

Haven't read the thread but I'm not surprised by the result. My suspicion is that American jurors have all been infected by unending stereotypes about western tourists and expats in Thailand. If you watch a lot of Hollywood movies and American television as well, the Thailand - pedo connection joke is standard. Instant guaranteed cheap laugh. So the idea of labeling all westerner men living in Thailand as pedos has been normalized in the USA. Where do you think Musk got it from?

2 hours ago, zydeco said:

The jury essentially agreed that calling Unsworth a "pedo" was just twitter banter. Not something to get upset about. Frankly even calling someone that in public face to face wouldn't have gotten Unsworth anything either. Granted, he could have hit Musk and had no repercussions ("fighting words") but he was never going to get a penny out of this. Unsworth looks like a fool. Had he just let this go in the first place, hardly anyone would have noticed and "pedo guy" wouldn't have become a worldwide moniker known to tens perhaps hundreds of millions. When should we expect Unsworth's Hundred Nation "I'm not a Pedo Guy" World Tour?

From a statement by Unsworth's lawyer:-

"More specifically, you published through three different tweets to your twenty-two million followers that Mr Unsworth engages in the sexual exploitation of Thai children, and you did so at a time when he was working to save the lives of twelve Thai children.  You did so without any basis.  According to a subsequent Twitter, you did so out of anger."

"Twitter banter"? 

25 minutes ago, Rickster said:

Unsworth not helped himself demanding $190 million in compo just makes him look like a chance. If any member of public had called him 'pedo guy' I doubt he'd have gone to such lengths....

I don't think Vern had control over the amount claimed. Consider today's US legal system, lawyers and regularly high costs in all respects. Do you really think that he would have collected all of this?

15 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

What about the jury, surely we can now call most of them pedos too.

It's an interesting verdict. 

So in California it's now o k to insult someone on Twitter. It's not defamation if the insult is untrue.

Interesting to see if this springs a large amount of insults on Twitter.

Wonder if the same verdict would've been given if the plaintiff was African or Hispanic American and the insult had been racial. Or if the plaintiff was a member of the LBGT community and the insult sexual orientation based? Maybe it would. Or maybe not. But calling a hetrosexual white male a "pedo" is o k in California, even written on social media.

50 minutes ago, denby45 said:

You comment and say Unsworth is a nobody. What God given right do you have to brand someone a nobody? Perhaps you have done extraordinary things in your life which pale into insignificance a man's genuine efforts to rescue 12 boys trapped in a cave. Pray tell all about your achievements. I am interested to learn.

Den

Did you not know? i was gods cousin

Make your self known and call me a name and then you will find out what my achievements would be ????

7 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

A 190 million dollar win would have been universe changing for old Vern. One can see the motivation, I am sure he had folks convincing him he could win. But it's not easy to steal the big dogs bone, and if common sense was in play Vern would have left it alone.

It is amazing what he found to do with his hero status. Just had to hold his tongue for a few minutes.

As for Musk, well he defended himself and his team, but he, like Vern, should have chosen his words better. Elon on the other hand, could afford to be flippant.

agree, better odds than the Thai lottery, it was worth a shot..

9 hours ago, BestB said:

I never realised he was seeing $180 million in damages . Hardly surprising he lost

maybe if he was more smart and seeking $100000-200000 he would of won but $$180 million ?????

"Wood said Musk's "pedo guy" remark was a slur that would overshadow Unsworth's relationships and job prospects for years to come".

I am not sure what Mr. Unsworth's occupation is, but I do wish my future relationships and job prospects were worth $180,000,000.

5 minutes ago, bubba said:

"Wood said Musk's "pedo guy" remark was a slur that would overshadow Unsworth's relationships and job prospects for years to come".

I am not sure what Mr. Unsworth's occupation is, but I do wish my future relationships and job prospects were worth $180,000,000.

I could say that on behalf of...me too.

Wonder if Unsworth would have had a more favourable outcome if he had sued in the English courts rather than the US ones? Freedom of speech under the US Amendment does not allow libel but its concept in the American psyche may have counted against him in the eyes of the jury.

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

seeking $190 million

Did he (musk ) called him a pedo, yes but for suing him for 190 million is a joke and just not smart.

I he ( vern ) ask for some millions he get it, but i think he have to pay for his lawyers ...

9 hours ago, BestB said:

I never realised he was seeing $180 million in damages . Hardly surprising he lost

maybe if he was more smart and seeking $100000-200000 he would of won but $$180 million ?????

Agreed and there's nearly always an out of court settlement option in civil cases, one that Mr Unsworth did not accept. Instead trying to seek £129m.... pure greed if you ask me!

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It is what is referred to as the principal of "First blood". He who draws first blood, is subject to the wrath of him who he has declared his enemy. Same thing happened to Trump. He started the war with the media, and he has suffered endlessly, ever since. One of the worst decisions of his lame political career. 

Musk started this thing. Unsworth simply stated that from his vast experience in caves, that the solution Musk proposed was impractical, and perhaps a PR stunt. Musk made it far more personal, by insulting him directly. However, the corrupt US legal system let him off, due to his wealth and power.

You mean to say that Musk started this by offering to help? How dare he?

10 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

This is just wrong.

I know that both sides do share some blame, but labeling a guy 'Pedo' on a public forum for no good reason should not be allowed.

I am a fan of Elon most of the time, but not at this time.

Hey Elon! Do the right thing and cut this guy a cheque for all his attorney's fees; you are a multi-billionaire and it is (literally!) the least that you can do.

I expect that the attorney was working on a contingency basis which would be part of why the amount of damages sought was so high.

Fairly common arrangrment in the US. The lawyer gets nothing if they lose and about half the total award if they win. It is pretty much the only recourse open to people who aren't personally wealthy and want to sue, and lawyers won't undertake a case on contingency unless the stakes are pretty high.

1 hour ago, sambum said:

From a statement by Unsworth's lawyer:-

"More specifically, you published through three different tweets to your twenty-two million followers that Mr Unsworth engages in the sexual exploitation of Thai children, and you did so at a time when he was working to save the lives of twelve Thai children.  You did so without any basis.  According to a subsequent Twitter, you did so out of anger."

"Twitter banter"? 

Hyperbole, exaggeration, and hysteria from Unsworth's lawyer trying to get a cut of $190 million. And, as the jurors said afterwards, they felt that Unsworth's lawyers were trying to play on their emotions rather than prove their case. Just like you've done, here.

1 hour ago, katana said:

Wonder if Unsworth would have had a more favourable outcome if he had sued in the English courts rather than the US ones? Freedom of speech under the US Amendment does not allow libel but its concept in the American psyche may have counted against him in the eyes of the jury.

Possibly.

And certainly a British jury or court would better appreciate the seriousness of a pedophile allegation against a man living in Thailand (i.e. that people might believe it/take it seriously) whereas an American jury could easily not. 

Archived