BANGKOK
brianj1964

some road rules clarification

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

You need to learn quick what the Thais do, it doesn't matter how things are done in the UK. Right or wrong is irrelevant it's what happens in real life that's important. Millions of vehicles go through red lights daily and no one blinks an eyelid

I do notice they go through red lights if they are turning left, merging into traffic, sometimes it says free left turn, if I stop people blast the horn at me. Is there relevance if I have an accident and its because some numbnutz has crossed in front of me and I have the right of way? or will it always be the foreigner to blame, my wife says dont get into arguments with Thais because you never know whose carrying a gun.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, johng said:

The turn left at a red light  does not give you "right of way"   you should only turn if its safe to do so

that bit i do understand, and i always proceed with caution, but try explaining give way to a Thai Johng they dont get it or dont want to get it

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, johng said:

The turn left at a red light  does not give you "right of way"   you should only turn if its safe to do so

Unless the wait sign is there

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, brianj1964 said:

I do notice they go through red lights if they are turning left, merging into traffic, sometimes it says free left turn, if I stop people blast the horn at me. Is there relevance if I have an accident and its because some numbnutz has crossed in front of me and I have the right of way? or will it always be the foreigner to blame, my wife says dont get into arguments with Thais because you never know whose carrying a gun.

You need to look and learn, maybe takes a couple of weeks to learn what they do differently to the UK

• Thanks 1