some road rules clarification

brianj1964

4 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

A quick jab on the horn is acceptable to indicate to another rider/driver that you will not be giving way to them.

Next you'll be saying flashing lights is acceptable to let people know you are coming through or the amusing using both indicators

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Excellent summing up here, especially the “ drive defensively “ and “ expect the unexpected “.

Initially thai driving seems completely alien to what you were taught in the uk and in some ways it is, but it works for them so we have to adapt 

Don’t be too quick to use your horn, your bil can get away with it but as a farang it can give you some grief. Better just to curse under your breath and move on, indeed my gf now uses the phrase “ f#ckin idiot “ more than me !!

Don’t be in a rush to pull away from the lights as opposing traffic like to sneak through long after the red light shows.The turning left on red is a good rule ( IMO ) as it helps traffic flow but be aware you have to give way to other traffic.

Also at a zebra crossing the uk in us will tell you to stop when you see someone attempting to cross, here the pedestrian doesn’t have right of way , you can stop if you like but you will risk a shunt if you do.

All in all there’s a certain “ do as you please “ feeling to driving here but you will adapt and to be honest I enjoy driving here.

More care is needed when driving here but that goes for anywhere away from our natural habitat.

apparently the horn blasting by the BIL is to warn bikes he is approaching not that they have done anything wrong, if he sees them sitting at a side road or driving ahead, so they dont suddenly make a rash decision. I will get to grips with it quickly

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Next you'll be saying flashing lights is acceptable to let people know you are coming through or the amusing using both indicators

Normal practice for Thais. UK rules don't apply. Must admit hazard warning lights seem to be inconsistently applied.

1 minute ago, brianj1964 said:

apparently the horn blasting by the BIL is to warn bikes he is approaching not that they have done anything wrong, if he sees them sitting at a side road or driving ahead, so they dont suddenly make a rash decision. I will get to grips with it quickly

I do enjoy driving but getting used to continually

Usualy in Thailand a horn blast is used in extreme urgence and if you don't have any other choice

(Except from the taxis and bahtbus trying to attract the attention of the potential consumers, at least here in Pattaya, and it's really anonying)

using it for other reasons it's considered like an offensive thing by most of the thais and can

degenerate quickly in a road rage

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

my wifes brother does both those things, i never understood it, he flashes his lights at people all the time for no apparent reason

5 minutes ago, brianj1964 said:

my wifes brother does both those things, i never understood it, he flashes his lights at people all the time for no apparent reason

He has probably buyed his driver licence for some hundreds bahts and

he has no clue about the use of the horn and the lights. A lot here in Thailand in the same case.

35 minutes ago, brianj1964 said:

I know it has 12 months on it, its a permit i have to carry with me anytime i drive plus my photo driving licence.

You may want to have a read here 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1136640-legal-use-of-the-international-drivers-licence/?tab=comments#comment-14817858

I would also suggest it could be worth your while having a long look through the motoring threads and reading those that may fit your situation/help you.

14 minutes ago, brianj1964 said:

Flashing the lights means  "hey watch out I'm coming through and not gonna stop"    It does not mean ( as in the UK )

that you are giving way to the other vehicle.

1 hour ago, brianj1964 said:

thats exactly why i waved the second 2 cars through,

Never wave anyone through here, they have no concept of consideration for others and simply don't understand why you would consider them!

If its any consolation I have been driving here over 30 years, there is never an occasion - on every trip I make - which is daily - that I don't think "what the hell are they doing" ultra defensive driving has kept me alive - so far!

4 minutes ago, johng said:

Flashing the lights means  "hey watch out I'm coming through and not gonna stop"    It does not mean ( as in the UK )

Depends on the situation, it can be both.

4 hours ago, brianj1964 said:

y wife wants us to buy a car here, so yesterday I got to drive her friends car into Kalasin to look at second hand laptops and had a couple of close calls with locals and wanted people who drive here daily to clarify the rules of the road or arent there any.

Example 1. I came to a crossroads controlled by traffic lights, we were going straight on and the cars opposite were indicating to turn right, The lights turn green I proceeded to drive and the first 2 cars crossed straight in front of me, at this point my wifes friend is shouting at me to stop,so I allowed a further 2 cars to cross our path, I explained to my wife that in the U.K, in this situation, we have the right of way and all 4 cars should have waited until we passed before they turned.

Example 2. Similar to example 1, we came to a roundabout, my wife tells me to go straight on, I stopped, looked to my right, no cars were coming so i pulled off, as i passed the next enter/exit to the roundabout a woman just drives straight out in front of me, again i had to slam on the brakes to avoid a collision, I tell my wife again, that in the U.K in this situation we have the right of way. I have watched her brother drive and he gives way in the middle of the roundabout, and I dont know if thats the road rules here or he is anticipating that the car is going to drive straight out.

Have I done something wrong in these 2 situations, or is it a case that local people cannot drive, I dont want people saying I should drive anticipating what every driver is going to do. 

Is there rules to the road here? or is it go from A to B and dont care what mayhem you cause, I was more than slightly nervous when we got home

The road rules in Thailand are pretty much a duplicate of the British highway code. 

The British highway code states 'Always give way if it can help to avoid an accident

Most people don't know or follow the rules anyway.

- You'll not re-educate all the drivers around you. 

- There's no point being right and having an accident anyway.

- The safest measure is to adopt to the local chaos.

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

if ( I don't agree ) it means both  how does one know which is which ?

its like saying, nodding your head  can mean yes and no depending on the situation.

12 minutes ago, johng said:

7 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Correct, hence I never flash the lights, or overtake a slow truck when they're signaling with their blinkers if I can't see the road ahead of he truck.

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:
8 minutes ago, johng said:

Flashing lights is used to let someone know you are there.

In the UK the adopted (polite) culture of flashing your lights to let someone know you are giving way to them actually contradicts the British Highway Code. 

6 minutes ago, johng said:

if ( I don't agree ) it means both  how does one know which is which ?

its like saying, nodding your head  can mean yes and no depending on the situation.

"how does one know which is which ?"

Depends on the situation.

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The road rules in Thailand are pretty much a duplicate of the British highway code. 

The British highway code states 'Always give way if it can help to avoid an accident

Most people don't know or follow the rules anyway.

- You'll not re-educate all the drivers around you. 

- There's no point being right and having an accident anyway.

- The safest measure is to adopt to the local chaos.

"The road rules in Thailand are pretty much a duplicate of the British highway code. "

Except UK is 'give way to the right', Thailand is (officially) 'give way to the left'.

11 minutes ago, stevenl said:

"The road rules in Thailand are pretty much a duplicate of the British highway code. "

Except UK is 'give way to the right', Thailand is (officially) 'give way to the left'.

try telling Issanbiker this who commented earlier about me comparing the 2 countries, i was driving straight through a light that was green and they just crossed in front of me as if i wasnt there, and I was in a black Vigo so not hard to miss

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

In the UK the adopted (polite) culture of flashing your lights to let someone know you are giving way to them actually contradicts the British Highway Code. 

Yes you are correct about that..  on second thoughts though ( in the UK)

flashing lights at oncoming vehicle is ( wrongly) used as "I'm giving way to you"

flashing lights whilst following a vehicle ( usually tailgating on the motorway )

means hey get out of my way I'm V.I.P don't you know. ????

In Thailand flashing lights always means "hey get out of my way I'm V.I.P don't you know." ????

39 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Not necessarily for example "principle roadway" Ie  the "main" road  will be  different and ISLANDS/ROUNDABOUTS  called "rotaries " in the Thai highway code say "RIGHT" has priority

traff.jpg

tlaw0140_5.pdf

4 hours ago, KhunKenAP said:

Thai rules of the road:

1) None

Exactly. The so-called rules are mere suggestions which are never enforced. It's every 'man' for himself. Assume that the other drivers are going to do the wrong thing every time and you might just survive.

5 hours ago, brianj1964 said:

I have only just arrived on my retirement O-A and wanted to retire at 55 not die at 55, I havent got a Thai licence, I have one of those International permits from the post office in the U.K, valid for 12 months, as they drive on the same side of the road it felt natural to drive here, but I now understand when people criticise Thai driving, they just dont seem to understand the phrase give-way.

I did have a 750ml bottle of Singha chilled and ready to go.

It’s only good for 90 days then you leave country and resets International License 

1 hour ago, kingofthemountain said:

Usualy in Thailand a horn blast is used in extreme urgence and if you don't have any other choice

(Except from the taxis and bahtbus trying to attract the attention of the potential consumers, at least here in Pattaya, and it's really anonying)

using it for other reasons it's considered like an offensive thing by most of the thais and can

degenerate quickly in a road rage

They aren’t as sensitive as when I first got here, Thais are honking more

2 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:
5 hours ago, brianj1964 said:

I have only just arrived on my retirement O-A and wanted to retire at 55 not die at 55, I havent got a Thai licence, I have one of those International permits from the post office in the U.K, valid for 12 months, as they drive on the same side of the road it felt natural to drive here, but I now understand when people criticise Thai driving, they just dont seem to understand the phrase give-way.

I did have a 750ml bottle of Singha chilled and ready to go.

It’s only good for 90 days then you leave country and resets International License 

As Brianj1964 is on a Non-Immigrant visa he is classed as a resident and therefor may require a Thai Licence.

2 hours ago, brianj1964 said:

Thanks for the advice about the driving licence, car is going to be 50/50, 

its not an international driving licence,i dont think there is such a thing, its a permit you obtain from the Post Office to use my U.K driving licence in Thailand, its got a 12 month validity on it. We a plan to relocate to Pattaya but not until February when Her son gets released lol

It is an International License, my god 

3 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:
2 hours ago, brianj1964 said:

Thanks for the advice about the driving licence, car is going to be 50/50, 

its not an international driving licence,i dont think there is such a thing, its a permit you obtain from the Post Office to use my U.K driving licence in Thailand, its got a 12 month validity on it. We a plan to relocate to Pattaya but not until February when Her son gets released lol

It is an International License, my god 

It's not a Licence - It's an International Driving Permit, to be used only in association with a Valid Driving Licence. 

30 minutes ago, Chazar said:

Not necessarily for example "principle roadway" Ie  the "main" road  will be  different and ISLANDS/ROUNDABOUTS  called "rotaries " in the Thai highway code say "RIGHT" has priority

traff.jpg

tlaw0140_5.pdf 256.54 kB · 0 downloads

Same as elsewhere: if roads are of equal importance traffic coming from one side has right of way, in Thailand coming from the left. Traffic circles are an exception, or if you want a road of higher importance.

Now I mentioned that because another poster mentioned that the Thai traffic laws are a copy of those of the UK, which is not correct since traffic from the right has right of way there, of course presuming roads of equal importance etc.

13 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

Which is a questionable use of Thai law. Same as twice turning left on a red light, at 'turn when safe signs', in the end returning to the road started after the lights.

Archived