some road rules clarification

brianj1964

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can give way even though you have the right of way, or you can drive on and damage your car.

You would end up with your car in the repair garage most of the time, with no replacement car provided.

You will not effect any change in other people's driving habits by taking this course of action; instead you will inconvenience yourself and possibly end up raising your insurance premiums.

1 hour ago, johng said:

Flashing the lights means  "hey watch out I'm coming through and not gonna stop"    It does not mean ( as in the UK )

that you are giving way to the other vehicle.

It is wrongly interpreted in the UK.  It does not mean you are giving way, quite the opposite.  It is to inform other road users that you are there! For once, Thais are correct when flashing their lights when approaching a U-turn for example.

Rule 110 states: “Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there.

Thai traffic laws are based on UK laws with few exceptions.  The use of traffic lights and roundabouts are the same.  Turning left against a red light can only be done if there is a sign allowing you to do so.

Over and above that, Thais rarely follow traffic rules or even know of them so you do need to 'anticipate' what other drivers are going to do more so than some other countries.

7 minutes ago, HHTel said:

It is wrongly interpreted in the UK.  It does not mean you are giving way, quite the opposite.  It is to inform other road users that you are there! For once, Thais are correct when flashing their lights when approaching a U-turn for example.

Thai traffic laws are based on UK laws with few exceptions.  The use of traffic lights and roundabouts are the same.  Turning left against a red light can only be done if there is a sign allowing you to do so.

Over and above that, Thais rarely follow traffic rules or even know of them so you do need to 'anticipate' what other drivers are going to do more so than some other countries.

In Thailand on a roundabout do you give way to the right or left? i thought it was right same as the UK but a post further up suggests give way to the left

11 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

In Thailand on a roundabout do you give way to the right or left? i thought it was right same as the UK but a post further up suggests give way to the left

In general in Thailand give way to the left. On a roundabout give way to traffic on the roundabout.

2 hours ago, johng said:

Flashing the lights means  "hey watch out I'm coming through and not gonna stop"    It does not mean ( as in the UK )

that you are giving way to the other vehicle.

In the UK it does not mean your giving way although most people use it to allow other vehicles to go before them.

Highway Code rule 110 states that drivers should "only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there".

So it more or less the same as Thailand

17 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

In Thailand, it's which way do you go round it, giving way doesn't come into the equation........????

6 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

These are my personal observations:

1. Bigger vehicles...full size trucks and suvs...will take more than their fair share of the road.  

2. Large motorcycles think they have special privilege to speed, pass on the inside even if you have your left turn signal on and are slowing to turn...give way to their excessive speed and dangerous driving antics.

3.  Underage children on motorcycles are totally clueless and must be protected at all cost.  They do not always look before changing lanes and pulling out of side streets. 

4.  Drive defensively.  Do not expect all Thais to follow the rules of the road.  Expect the unexpected...look for trouble coming out of side streets, crossing the road ahead in front of you and passing to your left...even if you are in the far left lane.  Do not be surprised to find vehicles driving the wrong way and heading straight at you.

5. Purchase vehicle cameras to record bad drivers which may cause you to have an accident.

You can drive in Thailand safely and accident free...it requires constant vigilance and a fair amount of luck.

Good Luck to you! 

6. Don't be surprised if another vehicle on the utmost left of 4 lanes turns right, crossing all other 3 lanes without looking or blinking.....

6 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

2. Large motorcycles think they have special privilege to speed, pass on the inside even if you have your left turn signal on and are slowing to turn...give way to their excessive speed and dangerous driving antics.

He who dares wins!

seriously though - all the points made by Puchaiyank are spot on. This one in particular has nearly caught me out a few times. Girlfriend “navigating” (I use the term loosely), and suddenly says “turn left here!”. You don’t see the scooter sitting in your blind spot and you turn. Now I accept if I’m supposed to turn and I’m not 100% sure there’s no one next to me or haven’t put my indicator on for an extended time - I’ll pass and find a different way.

6 minutes ago, ncc1701d said:

He who dares wins!

seriously though - all the points made by Puchaiyank are spot on. This one in particular has nearly caught me out a few times. Girlfriend “navigating” (I use the term loosely), and suddenly says “turn left here!”. You don’t see the scooter sitting in your blind spot and you turn. Now I accept if I’m supposed to turn and I’m not 100% sure there’s no one next to me or haven’t put my indicator on for an extended time - I’ll pass and find a different way.

i was heading down third road once on the inside, a pickup suddenly sees a parking space and slams the brakes on and turns left into it. Very dangerous and stupid thing to do, he never checked properly for bikes, luckily i was able to brake in time. Looked like a male falang driver inside the darkened windows

I love driving in Thailand ... same as many other rule-less countries. Try Turkey, Bengladesh, India ! It’s free for all. Forget our Western disciplines and go for it ! Drive telling yourself there is no right or wrong, just get to where you want to go. 

My Thai gf is scared sh..tless when I have western driving rules flashbacks ????

7 hours ago, brianj1964 said:

I have only just arrived on my retirement O-A and wanted to retire at 55 not die at 55, I havent got a Thai licence, I have one of those International permits from the post office in the U.K, valid for 12 months, as they drive on the same side of the road it felt natural to drive here, but I now understand when people criticise Thai driving, they just dont seem to understand the phrase give-way.

I did have a 750ml bottle of Singha chilled and ready to go.

Legally you can only drive for 90 days with the international permit here. So be aware of possible insurance issues after the 90 days. ????

Good luck in moving to Pattaya. The driving here is way worse than where you are. I really do disagree with the posters advising you drive defensively. I find that if you show even a moments hestitation someone will either push in front of you or turn in your path at traffic lights. The only advice I will give you as I am also from the UK is. (1) Most of the traffic laws in the UK also apply here, except that the Thais ignore them. Drive positive but always always expect someone to drive out or cut in front of you. (2) Be assertive in your driving but safe, never show you are a weak driver, you wont get anywhere. (3) Traffic lights dont automatically drive off when the lights change to green, keep looking both ways before and during your maneuver. (4) Yes you can turn left at traffic lights when on red unless there is a sign forbidding it, drive but be prepared to give way. (5) Dont be a wimp, drive confidently and you will be fine. Good luck

When I first came here I spent a lot of time taking cabs and using grab both cars and motorcycles. Pay attention to how they drive they are usually very good.. try them on the freeways with a longer trip and in cities. Eventually you'll get the hang of things. Wouldn't be in a big yank to buy a car until you feel more comfortable. Also get a Thai driver's license the international one isn't good if you are a resident here past 3 months.

It is forgotten that the vehicle was invented in the West and so was the rules book.

That being said what you indicated is true but when it comes to the rules do to lack of enforcement and a number of other things those rules have gone out the window. 

The yelling from your Thai passengers is because they have become the above as I noted so they too think is proper main reason the Thai government DLT can't find a solution since they come from the same school.

Here is all about defensive driving you just learn something a few things now you need to learn the rest of their habits and adjust your driving so it becomes second nature.

Many of their roads are design poorly although the head of DLT recently said it isn't the problem?  NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING HERE WHEN DRIVING AND THAT WAS YOUR PROBLEM DRIVING TODAY!

In your first situation very common, since they don't have a proper signal system for this situation so it is basically first come first serve. You was most likely a bit slow and that is a good thing! because common to have red light runners! Always take a few second to make sure after the red turns in you situation you lost your right away!  It does exist in the handbook but Thai don't know what it is it has never been explained to them nor can you learn it taking a driving test driving around circles.

Since you lost the right away wait patiently and allow them all to go then proceed. No big thing you are still alive and a bit of time lost instead of spending the day filing a claim.

In your second situation same NEVER ASSUME you have the right away what happen is very common because all Thai drivers do is assume! You will find out if you continue to drive vehicles come out of side roads never looking and enter the road you got to learn to be on top of things and focus forward minimum of 7 seconds forward scanning all your mirrors every few seconds to know what is around you! This advice comes from 40 plus years of commercial training it is called " get the big picture "

Consider regardless of a signal light intersection always enter with caution, stop signs are in place, red boxes painted with horizontal solid lines same as a stop sign, red paint around curves it means nothing except to you and always slow down and enter with caution take nothing for granted and you have a better chance of staying alive.

If you need or want to drive that is your choice I myself never run from a problem or let others dictate my life here you need to adjust and learn patience it will be a humbling experience living and driving here but it can be done. When your Thai friends or wife drive sit in the back and watch and learn their habits on the road.

Stop-signs are not obeyed in Thailand. You’re a danger in thai traffic if you make a full stop in an intersection when no one crossing. specially if you have a cpac cement truck close behind......

See stop-signs more as a slow down and give way sign.

10 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

1. Bigger vehicles...full size trucks and suvs...will take more than their fair share of the road.  

3.  Underage children on motorcycles are totally clueless and must be protected at all cost.  They do not always look before changing lanes and pulling out of side streets. 

4.  Drive defensively.  Do not expect all Thais to follow the rules of the road.  Expect the unexpected...look for trouble coming out of side streets, crossing the road ahead in front of you and passing to your left...even if you are in the far left lane.  Do not be surprised to find vehicles driving the wrong way and heading straight at you.

5. Purchase vehicle cameras to record bad drivers which may cause you to have an accident.

You can drive in Thailand safely and accident free...it requires constant vigilance and a fair amount of luck.

Good Luck to you! 

Right on. LOID.

I hate it when people scream and shout from anywhere in the car. No matter if they are right or wrong. You are better off learning the ropes on your own. 

Your wives friend would be walking with her laptop if I was driving. 

10 hours ago, brianj1964 said:

I do notice they go through red lights if they are turning left, merging into traffic, sometimes it says free left turn, if I stop people blast the horn at me. Is there relevance if I have an accident and its because some numbnutz has crossed in front of me and I have the right of way? or will it always be the foreigner to blame, my wife says dont get into arguments with Thais because you never know whose carrying a gun.

Thai Traffic Laws.pdf

Give way to Left at uncontrolled intersections.

Wait for Green arrow to turn right at controlled intersections.

Give way to the right at a Roundabout.

Give way to pedestrians about to step onto the carriageway at a pedestrian crossing.

Can turn left at a controlled intersection if clear but not where a minor road meets a highway or priority road.

There's a few for you.

Thai Traffic Laws.pdf

12 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Good Luck to you! 

I always say that a sure test for Alzheimer’s is driving in Thailand. As your mind must be hitting on all cylinders, if you are not in an accident or dead ... you do not have Alzheimer’s.

6 hours ago, jimn said:

you can turn left at traffic lights when on red unless there is a sign forbidding it

Actually it's the opposite.  You can only turn left on red if there is a sign allowing it.  It's a blue sign with a white left arrow.  There is also a sign which is in text on a white background.  If there is no sign then legally you have to stop on red, even when turning left.

5 hours ago, HHTel said:

Actually it's the opposite.  You can only turn left on red if there is a sign allowing it.  It's a blue sign with a white left arrow.  There is also a sign which is in text on a white background.  If there is no sign then legally you have to stop on red, even when turning left.

so where there is a sign saying wait or no sign then you cannot turn, makes sense...tit

Archived