Thai construction: Cambodian dead, colleague with broken legs as wall collapses in the wind

rooster59

Thai construction: Cambodian dead, colleague with broken legs as wall collapses in the wind

build1.JPG

Image: Daily News

A 36 year old Cambodian construction worker was killed and a 30 year old colleague suffered two broken legs when a ready made wall fell onto them at a housing estate construction site in Bang Plee, Samut Prakan.

Several workers were fixing the wall permanently in place after it had been temporarily secured with metal supports.

The three ton wall on the second floor of a house fell and killed Sith Mao. His work mate was taken to Bang Plee hospital. 

build2.JPG

The housing estate is in the soi behind the temple of Wat Nam Daeng. 

Daily News said that high winds blew when a group of workers were fixing the 4m x 4m wall in place

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-07

Safety in Thailand - a complete cultural shift is required, it's a long process. 

Workmen on the construction of the extension to my house were arc-welding, bare foot, bare handed, stood in water, no glasses. I was aghast. 

When I suggested footwear, gloves, darkened welding glasses they were aghast.

I can't watch, I have to close the curtains and just let them get on with their work.

Good luck; the dead Cambodian's family (i.e. wife and children) can certainly benefit of the excellent coverage of the workman insurance fund.

How sad; most likely was forced to leave home for an underpaid job in Bangkok and now returns in an urn due to absolute inferior standards and ignorance in both, his home country and the place he worked - no choice! 

Archived