Permanent Residency By Investment

9 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Which requirement do you find overly difficult to meet? A lot of countries have similar requirements.

Personaly i am not interested in PR, so it's just an observation

i have read the only topic on this forum from someone who did it

and honestly is a bit of an obstacle course. I don't know where you are from

but in most of the europeans countries it's pretty easy to have a PR

(It's so easy than it's now becoming a real immigration and societal problem)

38 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Which requirement do you find overly difficult to meet? A lot of countries have similar requirements.

Easy to answer: someone who has been supporting his Thai family for 10 years with a yearly pension of o 3 million Bahts will see his application rejected because he won't be able to show 3 consecutive years of employment and income tax in Thailand.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Yes for sure

it is so open that there is a very tiny part of the expats who meet the criteria

i mean the numbers are ridiculous compared to others coutries.

There must be a reason for this. Nationalism? Paranoia? Other? 

What, having a job which earns you $2,800 per month? That is literally one of the main criteria. How is this number ‘ridiculous’?

18 hours ago, AlexRich said:

The problem with that idea is that all rules can change, even PR? So as a foreigner I don't think anyone can be uber confident about their position in Thailand. 

To be on the safe side you really need a substantial wealth so that you can move on if the goalposts change on PR.

Of course thats true, but PR is clearly a major step ahead in the 'being left alone' category which I find highly desirable.. 

16 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Who in his right mind would like to have citizenship from a third world country

run by a military junta when you are already a citizen from an advanced democratic country?

Sorry but i don't get it

Who wouldnt ?? 

I will take as many citizenships as they are giving.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Who wouldnt ?? 

I will take as many citizenships as they are giving.. 

And you could regret it quickly

as a Thai citizen, you could be under a false pretense arrested by the thai police

judged by thai justice and jailed with all your properties and assets confiscated

with no or very little appeal possibility, just because someone in the power to be  or hi so circles

do not like you or is jealous of you.

Enjoy the thai ''system''...

6 hours ago, samran said:

What, having a job which earns you $2,800 per month? That is literally one of the main criteria. How is this number ‘ridiculous’?

It's not the only criteria and i am sure you perfectly know that already.

But i am also sure i could not convince you, even if the very small numbers

of applicants every year prove how obtaining the PR is a difficult task.

Edited by kingofthemountain

3 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

as a Thai citizen, you could be under a false pretense arrested by the thai police

judged by thai justice and jailed with all your properties and assets confiscated

with no or very little appeal possibility, just because someone in the power to be  or hi so circles

That could happen without Thai citizenship as well. Your fears are irrational.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

That could happen without Thai citizenship as well. Your fears are irrational.

The difference is if you are a foreigner you can involve your consulate and embassy

if you are Thai you have to fight alone in the Thai system.

Irrational? Obviously you don't know very well how it works here and how  

money and relations can change a lot of things.

I know first hand at least 5 cases of thai people in the case i described above.

Personaly i have no fears because i don't show to have enough money or properties

to arouse envy. This is a rational choice.

Edited by kingofthemountain

1 hour ago, kingofthemountain said:

The difference is if you are a foreigner you can involve your consulate and embassy

I know first hand at least 5 cases of thai people in the case i described above.

Personaly i have no fears because i don't show to have enough money or properties

All a consulate or embassy is going to do is hand you a list of lawyers and leave you to your devices. Beyond that there is little they can do. 

• Like 1

Well, there are other criteria around background checks and speaking some basic Thai but nothing too onerous. Nothing that you can’t pick up from a couple of years of normal conversation with the locals. 

To say there aren’t too many applicants is misleading. While Thailand isn’t your traditional magnet for migrants, plenty of people who are working here long term end up applying for it. 

And how is that any different for a non Thai here ???

Citizenship or not makes zero difference to this issue. 

You would still have that.. its simply 'more' options not one or the other.. 

2 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

There are many applicants from some countries and less from other countries. From the people I know who have PR and myself who also has PR, such people were screened at time of submission of application and prepared carefully the required documents prior to screening. At the screening stage such applicants had a good or better indication that they would be successful; IOs know otherwise they would not waste applicants time.

If a person qualifies, submits required documents and is from a Western country I do not think that it is so difficult to obtain PR. People are partly discouraged from applying due to negativity on this forum.

• Like 2

On 12/8/2019 at 4:34 PM, thedemon said:

The officer told me that I might as well apply under family because the fee is half and she told me straight that I would definitely qualify.

How many years did it take between applying for PR and it being approved?

11 minutes ago, samran said:

Friend got it processed in about 18-20 months. Got his PR in about October last year from memory.

Interesting, that's pretty quick. I know someone who waited 5 years for approval.

That was some time ago though and there was a coup which may have delayed the process.

Edited by ukrules

1 minute ago, ukrules said:

Interesting, that's pretty quick. I know someone who waited 5 years for approval.

If they applied between 2006 and about 2012 that would be likely. There were several years then that they did not approve any PR applications. And in 2010 they did not even accept any since they never set a quota for it.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ukrules said:

That was some time ago though and there was a coup which may have delayed the process.

Say what you want about the military governments, but they've historically been pretty fast in processing citizenship and PR applications with regularity. With civilian governments, it things tend to wait till the ministers last day in office, if you are lucky.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, samran said:

Say what you want about the military governments, but they've historically been pretty fast in processing citizenship and PR applications with regularity. With civilian governments, it things tend to wait till the ministers last day in office, if you are lucky.

I'm convinced that if Future Forward was at the government getting Thai citizenship would be far easier. They are not bigots like the previous governments. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

I'm convinced that if Future Forward was at the government getting Thai citizenship would be far easier. They are not bigots like the previous governments. 

Its all to do with who becomes the minister of interior. I've yet to see a civilian government take reform of the citizenship rules seriously.

The last major reform to the the citizenship act was done in 2008, under the last coup government. Made it possible for men married to Thai women to skip PR and go straight to citizenship, in addition to a range of other things like providing citizenship to those born between 1971 and 1992 who were left in the lurch unable to qualify for citizenship due to some arcane changes in '71.

I'd also argue they've done the most for minority hill tribes to finally access Thai citizenship, and provide pathways for stateless children born to migrant workers to get citizenship.

And they've always prioritized the processing of PR and citizenship applications. With some civilian governments, they aren't even approved. I'll take a civilian government over a military government on most things, but it would be remiss to say that civilian governments are better for foreigners wishing to stay in thailand on a permanent basis. Cause they aren't. 

15 hours ago, samran said:

Friend got it processed in about 18-20 months. Got his PR in about October last year from memory.

17 months for me a few years ago I know of a couple of people who obtained it quicker in more recent years. I could have applied directly for citizenship, which I preferred, but did not want to risk waiting for years. So let's give credit where it is due.

In my case I could have applied anytime from about 2007, but knew that processing was slow and of the situation in 2010.

3 hours ago, rimmae2 said:

17 months for me a few years ago I know of a couple of people who obtained it quicker in more recent years. I could have applied directly for citizenship, which I preferred, but did not want to risk waiting for years. So let's give credit where it is due.

In my case I could have applied anytime from about 2007, but knew that processing was slow and of the situation in 2010.

If you are still eligible then the citizenship apps are taking about 3 years now from go to woe.