Thai health: Cancer remains number one killer in Thailand

rooster59

4 hours ago, Marpa47 said:

You may be right    But.      Commercial production involves shipping and the time it takes for delivery to reach final destination is probably weeks.   Not to mention storage which can often be in direct sunlight or in trucks exposed to the heat of the sun in transit for at least part of the time.  Also, please note that a business is all about profit and that’s a big incentive for making darn sure product gets sold with as little loss as possible.    Anyone skilled in chemical analysis up for some testing of the most popular brands?  

gulf war syndrome might be  cans of COLA (with aspartame) in the desert sun, turned TOXIC (formaldehyde) also and poisoned people , but not only in war veterans, also civilians in western countries

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, keith101 said:

Could it be the large consumption of alcohol and smoking ?

Good thinking, by that thought process, Westerners should have a lot of stomach cancer because of large consumption of food. Im guessing !

11 hours ago, keith101 said:

Could it be the large consumption of alcohol and smoking ?

I can only proffer my personal experience.  My mother died at the age of 25 and my sister aged 27.  Both non-smokers and non-drinkers.  What I can confirm is that Heaven is a better place for their arrival.  

Go figure.  

5 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

There is an abundance of vegetables and herbs that contain anti-carcinogenic compounds, cabbage and tumeric being prime examples - not to mention the cornucopia of vitamin rich fruits.
Time for an anti smoking, pro nutrition media blitz. Where are the 'let's change the world' Lefties when you need them?

And in the  general commercial market  what percentage of those vegetables  are copiously  coated  or  containing equal and opposite  contaminating carcinogenic chemicals used  to  ensure  production  for apparent pristine consumer appeal?

Anti smoking  blitz? Justifiable yes  in  confined domestic spaces  for  sure. But  in open environmental aspect  a very  low  priority  compared  to  the  poisonous air created  by the  industrial sector!

In reality what analytical study of  blame on a specific causative for what or whichever provides  any acknowledgement of  differentiation by elimination of other substantive  background  causes?

In this announcement of  the high  cancer  rates in Thailand is there  any  accompanied statistical historical observation demonstrating a difference between  global and local?

The "lets  change the world" lefties ? As distracted  by high ideals as the" righties" in ignorance  of the  deceptions promoted  by  both devotions. Either way  is in defense  of extractable  profit  in one  way or other. Cancers ? An enviable source of income  to a select. Think about  that.

A senior Thai  doctor said 2 yrs ago  that the fermented fish somtum shouldn't be eaten as its  causes bowel cancer after a 10 yr study 

All there sweets are laced with sorbitol  that's a known cancer agent msg another  Smog, drinking everything in plastic  food cooked in aluminium pots that a dementia trigger. 

Not a healthy place to live that's for sure... 

But Brain  cancer that's a lack of common sence. 

13 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Just for you, pal. You put far to much tobacco in the banana leaf compared to what would be in a normal cigarette, and then you still smoke same many as a person smoking regular cigarettes.

Something else you need clarified? Do not hesitate to ask my friend. ????

Stick to complaining about visa overstays

my friend drank a lot ate spicey food all his life.in the end he could not eat spicey food but still drank and that is what killed him.cancer had no chance to do anything to him.i wonder where these facts come out.so many drink so much they kill they liver.it will continue  forever in Thailand with local always available

For all the guys who love the lack of regulation that we get in "Nanny States", Thailand is what a totally unregulated market gets you.

You roll the dice with every breath you take, everything you eat here. Good luck. 

And, what's worse is that Thai Buddhist fatalism philosophy means it is unlikely most them are worried about this. You see, many don't beleive outcomes can be changed by choices. They beleive either you are lucky or unlucky. 

20 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

burning rubbish, burning over chemical sprayed fields, charcoal manufacture and cooking, polystyrene everything, food additives, etc... could go on all day. Most thais eat instant noodles as a snack and they rate right at the top of carcongenic ingredients. Its all fake..

You make an excellent point about the burning of fields soaked in banned chemicals. Not many would realise that. I wonder how much gets into the atmosphere in addition to the original spraying process?

11 hours ago, JIMHILL said:

Good thinking, by that thought process, Westerners should have a lot of stomach cancer because of large consumption of food. Im guessing !

Well, I don't know about stomach cancer, but Westerners, starting with Denmark, France, and Australia, do have the highest rate of cancer.

I had workers on my construction site telling me, that they also grow tomatoes (along the Mekong river) for four to six Baht the kilogramme.

The chemicals they use (as instructed by the farm owner) require the workers to wear special gloves. Not doing so results in terrible skin irritation and cancer so, for once, they follow the instruction. 

So think twice when you bite into a tomato, which you just bought for 30 Baht, next time and rinsing it properly might not be a bad idea .......... 

18 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

Cancer kills around 300 people per day in Thailand. 

2018 114,000 deaths. 

Much worse than the roads.

Rooster

Thanks Rooster

Did not know this although not too surprised given the air pollution & usage of chemicals even in

areas that the ground water supply is near the surface

You know on a recent trip to the North villages I was surprised to see so many Thai ladies with head wraps because of the loss of hair due to chemo treatments

I sat outside for a few beers the other night with my brother in law and i remember my wife putting those mosquito coils that burn next to our feet

Makes me think they are probably highly dangerous probably better to get a few bites than breathe all that <deleted> in.

"Some cancers are more prevalent in Thais than Westerners - these include liver, brain and throat cancer.  Research is being conducted at Ramathibodi Hospital in Bangkok to understand the reasons behind this."

They should study the difference in the affliction rate of different demographics within Thailand.  Most "Thais" are farmers and carelessly use farm chemicals and eat raw crabs and fish sauce, all cancer causing agents.  Compare the Thai "country folks" with the 5% at the top who own 80% of the country and are above it all.  You will find that cancers are more prevalent in Thai farmers than in Thai tycoons, with the gap far greater than between Thais and Westerners.  It has nothing to do with being Thai or being Western and everything to do with exposures. 

Westerners are both more educated and more literate than Thai farmers.  For true literacy in today's world, one MUST be able to read AND understand English.

1 hour ago, oslooskar said:

Well, I don't know about stomach cancer, but Westerners, starting with Denmark, France, and Australia, do have the highest rate of cancer.

Highest reported rates. 

It's very highly unlikely that Thailand and similar countries have the expertise and infrastructure to accurately track these things. 

Accurate national tracking is not a trivial task. 

There seems to be a far more prevalent belief here in 'curing' cancer by all sorts of herbal means allied with a belief that chemo is bad for you. That alone, and budget/insurance limitations, will account for a signoficant number of deaths

23 hours ago, rooster59 said:

to understand the reasons behind this. 

Exhaust fumes from poorly maintained diesels allowed to roam freely? Burning stubble fields unchecked by local police force?  Inhaling toxic chemicals sprayed on crops?  Eating these crops?

12 hours ago, maddox41 said:

A senior Thai  doctor said 2 yrs ago  that the fermented fish somtum shouldn't be eaten as its  causes bowel cancer after a 10 yr study 

All there sweets are laced with sorbitol  that's a known cancer agent msg another  Smog, drinking everything in plastic  food cooked in aluminium pots that a dementia trigger. 

Not a healthy place to live that's for sure... 

But Brain  cancer that's a lack of common sence. 

Certainly "pla ra" can harbour the liver fluke and should be avoided, and as for sorbitol, well it's natural and is found in the fruits of apples, plums, pears, cherries, dates, peaches and apricots, and is considered safe to eat. In fact Sorbitol is fermented in the colon and produces short- chain fatty acids, which are beneficial to overall colon health.

MSG is also natural and in low to reasonable amounts doesn't cause any problems, although in some folk (me included) large doses in a small meal do bring on some flu-like symptoms.

And the supposed link between aluminium pots and dementia has been disproven.

My guess is something to do with paraquat and those other poisonous pesticides sprayed in agricultural products that the government allows. Never seen a farmer wearing full protective gear. 

The three main killers everywhere are diabetes, heart failure and cancer. if the first two don't get you then the third probably will. we all have to die of something, for thais it tends to be cancer and this might actually be despite the pollution, smoking and drinking people have talked about. it could be their life expectancy is quite high and because there is a lower chance of diabetes and heart disease then its cancer that finally gets them.

Archived