Were is the best Mexican Food in Chiang Mai?

doggie1955

Finding a real Mexican cook is unlikely but maybe unnecessary. Thais have been going out into the world for a long time getting jobs in many foreign countries. They come back with skills not usually found here. 30 years ago there was a German restaurant in Chiang Mai with good food but all Thai staff. The cook had learnt in Germany, returned home. I'm looking at answers too, would like some Mex food.

There's another branch of Salsa Kitchen north of town, on the east-bound middle ring road (highway 3029) just west of Ruamchoke Plaza. 

(I know that the highway overall is arched, curved, that is, so it's not really going east-west at this point, but whatcha gonna do?)

https://goo.gl/maps/14xqvrULJ4LayWvP6

Edited by MrBrad
  • Like 2

There are now about 7 different Mexican restaurants here. Unfortunately, none of them look too appealing. One is a vegan only option. As far as I can tell, no Mexicans involved in the management or cooking in any of them.

I think Miguels is the best overall. But none are as good as one or two of the places in Bangkok I've been to.

OP, could you please mention the names of the 3 Mexican run places in Bangkok that you referred to in your previous post (which seems to have disappeared)? Thanks.

One doesn't find the same ingredients in Thailand that would normally be used for Mexican flavors; the many varieties of chilis and other spices. No tomatillos, none of the nuts and seeds used to make good mole, etc. 

It's like Thai food in America, which often falls short of the common street stand in Thailand, due to the lack of ingredients. Doesn't matter how good/authentic the cook is - the dishes don't have the flavors. 

3 hours ago, meechai said:

As other have said none is great but the Combo plate at Miguel's is good with a pitcher of margaritas ????

Okay! looks like Miguel's wins, olny because you said "Pitcher of "Margaritas".

But check out Makro story for;  http://www.elcharromexthai.com/index.php

I did find some of her food at Marko, or you can just call her... She speaks English, Thai and Spanish. And I have been ordering from her for years, and I live 5 hrs north of BKK

and it always getts to me that day packed in dry ice.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2019 at 10:08 AM, sfokevin said:

Just as a side note... At Mae Hai market a couple Thai ladies have roach coach stall an make killer pork/vegi burritos for 100 baht (They do A Mexican salad style too all made to order)... From the food court area walk twards the back door of Riming market you will see their stall just as you cross the alley (Google Border Run Mexican food truck)... They open mid morning and close when they run out of food 

They also have great chips & salsa fo 30 baht! ????

We just discovered this place a few weeks ago and buying burritos from there is now a weekly thing. For my money, they are the best in town. Their tortilla chips are the best I've had in town too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Salsa Kitchen Ruamchok isn't bad. I didn't try the Huaykeaw branch. In Bangkok, my favorite is "The Mexican" in sukhumvit soi 2.

I see that Fajitas Tex Mex in Hang Dong is now "permanently closed"?

Edited by XGM

5 hours ago, tigerbeer said:

we used to go to Tex Mex which is not true mexican  but was really fresh and good quality ingredients. now we visit salsa kitchen. except the loud patrons can be annoying at times. 

Seems the tables were too big so people sat too far apart for quiet conversation. They maybe have changed the tables but it's all hard surfaces - no sound damping at all.  Still my favorite by far. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...