Were is the best Mexican Food in Chiang Mai?

doggie1955

On 1/12/2020 at 11:54 PM, XGM said:

Salsa Kitchen Ruamchok isn't bad. I didn't try the Huaykeaw branch.

That's my personal favorite here. Their chicken white tortilla tacos are great, as are most of their other chicken based dishes. Only downside to me is that they only have black beans and mediocre rice. 

Miguel's is #2, and they have by far the best beans and rice of any of the places here in Chiang Mai that I've tried. 

I've yet to find anyplace with decent carne asada unfortunately.

2 hours ago, jcsmith said:

That's my personal favorite here. Their chicken white tortilla tacos are great, as are most of their other chicken based dishes. Only downside to me is that they only have black beans and mediocre rice. 

Miguel's is #2, and they have by far the best beans and rice of any of the places here in Chiang Mai that I've tried. 

I've yet to find anyplace with decent carne asada unfortunately.

The closest decent carne asada is Casa Taco in Ubud.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2020 at 9:51 PM, NaamGin said:

We just discovered this place a few weeks ago and buying burritos from there is now a weekly thing. For my money, they are the best in town. Their tortilla chips are the best I've had in town too. 

I;d like to try this out--the Mae Hai market?  by the Rimping or Riming??  can you clarify please--thanks

1 hour ago, jij said:

Me? I'm interested in where the best Thai food is in Tijuana.

i lived many years in san diego--passable thai food but great mexican food of all kinds--not mexican food, really at all, but i love Taco Bell and now have, i think 5 locations in bkk, waiting for it to come to cm--great comfort food.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 10:57 AM, SammyJ said:

i lived many years in san diego--passable thai food but great mexican food of all kinds--not mexican food, really at all, but i love Taco Bell and now have, i think 5 locations in bkk, waiting for it to come to cm--great comfort food.

Gotta agree.  I spent quite a few years in San Diego.  Once you've eaten really good Mexican you'll be hard pressed to find anything you consider to be good in some place like Thailand.  Adequate you can find.  Good?  Not so much.  But if you haven't had Mexican in 10 years?  Well, adequate is good enough.  :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, connda said:

Gotta agree.  I spent quite a few years in San Diego.  Once you've eaten really good Mexican you'll be hard pressed to find anything you consider to be good in some place like Thailand.  Adequate you can find.  Good?  Not so much.  But if you haven't had Mexican in 10 years?  Well, adequate is good enough.  :thumbsup:

Lived just north of San Diego for 30 years.

I like it also but most of what you have eaten there is not truly "real mexican" food.  You need to go into further south Mexico away from the tourist areas to get "authentic mexican".

They do not use things like sour cream and the spices are quite different.  Only soft shell and corn tortillas never flour. They do not top food with lettuce and tomato.  The meats are prepared differently usually stewed.  Then there are the "bug tacos" filled with grasshoppers, worms or beetles.  Also, no guacamole but a much thinner version called salsa quac.

Anyway, your San Diego mexican experiences are not "authentic".  Just a watered down American version similar to the Thai or Chinese food there. 

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

I like it also but most of what you have eaten there is not truly "real mexican" food.  You need to go into further south Mexico away from the tourist areas to get "authentic mexican".

They do not use things like sour cream and the spices are quite different.  Only soft shell and corn tortillas never flour. They do not top food with lettuce and tomato.  The meats are prepared differently usually stewed.  Then there are the "bug tacos" filled with grasshoppers, worms or beetles.  Also, no guacamole but a much thinner version called salsa quac.

Anyway, your San Diego mexican experiences are not "authentic".  Just a watered down American version similar to the Thai or Chinese food there. 

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

While that may be generally true--i lived in San Diego also for quite a long time--if one is interested, and knows the right people, you can find fairly authentic Mexican and Thai food both--of course, as with all things, and especially food, it is in the "mouth of the beholder", to make their own individual judgement--i l"authentic" Mexican food, and I like Taco Bell, which is the furthest thing from authentic one can find.