Government asked to ban shark’s fin soup at all state agency functions

rooster59

Government asked to ban shark’s fin soup at all state agency functions

78451284_886837191710958_2511091228477489152_n.jpg

The Seub Nakhasathien Foundation has asked the Government to stop serving shark’s fin soup at all social functions organized by state agencies, and to review four controversial projects which, they claim, will have serious environmental impacts.

In a letter, addressed to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, the environment advocacy organization referred to the function, attended by Government MPs on Tuesday night, where shark’s fin soup was on the set menu.

The foundation said that the serving of the soup spoke volumes about the Government’s indifference and insensitivity to the protection of the environment and natural resources.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/government-asked-to-ban-sharks-fin-soup-at-all-state-agency-functions/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-12-07

• Advanced Members
  • 2,692 posts

I would love to ask these ignorant enviralmentists what should be done with all the shark fins byproducts from all the sharks eaten all over the world by mainly poor people, and of course Australia which uses shark for their fish and chips . Should all the fins just be thrown away depriving a lot of poor fishermen of some of their income.  All the shark fin imported into Thailand are byproducts of shark that are eaten.

The despicable practice of removing the fins from sharks and throwing the carcasses back into the sea

Should be dealt with in the harshest possible manner with mandatory jail terms. It seems to me that trying to stop eating shark fin is not the answer. As a matter of interest most of this despicable practice occurs in richer countries. Fishermen in most countries catch sharks to eat. The fins do not have much value. It's only when they are processed do they have any real value. Processing them to make them edible is very expensive. Please note anyone replying to my post I am a ex fisheries officer. 

10 hours ago, gamini said:
  •  
  • Advanced Members
  • 2,692 posts

I would love to ask these ignorant enviralmentists what should be done with all the shark fins byproducts from all the sharks eaten all over the world by mainly poor people, and of course Australia which uses shark for their fish and chips . Should all the fins just be thrown away depriving a lot of poor fishermen of some of their income.  All the shark fin imported into Thailand are byproducts of shark that are eaten.

The despicable practice of removing the fins from sharks and throwing the carcasses back into the sea

Should be dealt with in the harshest possible manner with mandatory jail terms. It seems to me that trying to stop eating shark fin is not the answer. As a matter of interest most of this despicable practice occurs in richer countries. Fishermen in most countries catch sharks to eat. The fins do not have much value. It's only when they are processed do they have any real value. Processing them to make them edible is very expensive. Please note anyone replying to my post I am a ex fisheries officer. 

Careful  youll have the greta  brigade come down on you, getting sick of these eco warriors

The only way to stop the definning cruelty is to ban the product entirely. Shark fin soup has little nutritional value, like birds nest soup or tiger penises, it’s just for status or perceived Chinese medicine benefits.

I am more concerned about the effect on the ecosystem of removing too many sharks as top predators.

Archived