Safety on point: Demerit point penalties for traffic violations to start

rooster59

Interesting. Most BIB checkpoints in CNX are only in place until 1300 then they go and spend the tea money on whisky and lunch. Same date the new law comes in also the payment of fines switches to banks and post office, no more interaction with BIB. That means less BIB checkpoints as no tea money to be made? As for the points system what will be the incentive for BIB to get out on the roads?

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I will give them credit for wanting to make it work, but until they get serious about enforcing it, well it's just another plan with no umphf and may fall beside the roadside, as most others have

Same thoughts, it's got to be done properly or become just another farce....

Earlier this year they mentioned possible point values for infringements, and the duration they would stay on your licence... if that stays the same people can almost do as they do now & stay on the road within a one year period, then points are void so they can continue again.

As for no licences etc etc whose to say a "roadside tip" will still suffice?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

As for no licences etc etc whose to say a "roadside tip" will still suffice?

SO far NEVER had a cop knock 200 baht on the head, I do hope that changes, lol, I did say hope, as it needs too.

Will it solve anything at all 

Cars and bikes doing 120 in 80 zone 

cars bike just pulling out into traffic not a care in the world long as 5 seconds taken of driving time 

How may times almost side swiped because cant wait 2 second for clear to come in to traffic 

I really don't see it working 

I hope just not a means of getting Whitty 

• Like 1

The bottom line is Thai drivers really "Do NOT" care about road safety and care of others on the roads and that includes Taxis, Buss's, Cars and pick-up drivers not in that order.

What the Thai Government should be steering towards is proper vehicle driver training! And getting strong on those who constantly abuse???????????? I read they are only handing out a small fine and 3 points for drunk drivers where it should be an automatic 90 day ban and 50,000 baht fine and ordered to re-sit driving test!!!????????

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

a way to finally rein in wayward drivers of cars and motorbikes, who repeatedly flout traffic laws on the premise they can just pay the fine and continue their dangerous driving habits.

Yes, this is the way.  Don't tell police to stop collecting bribes.  Don't punish police officers for seeking and collecting bribes.  Just punish poor people for doing what they have to do to get to work.  

• Like 1

Only two things will lower the death toll on Thai roads, harsh deterrant and honest enforcement. To make these two work you need honest cops and officials. Also, it assumes that everyone has a licence for them to lose. Those who don't aren't really bothered by a points system. Until they get serious about the real underlying problem of corruption, nothing will change. Except for the bribes and they will get bigger.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Only two things will lower the death toll on Thai roads, harsh deterrant and honest enforcement. To make these two work you need honest cops and officials. Also, it assumes that everyone has a licence for them to lose. Those who don't aren't really bothered by a points system. Until they get serious about the real underlying problem of corruption, nothing will change. Except for the bribes and they will get bigger.

Wait a minute now the government said there is no corruption ????

While I am happy to see they do something else than just collect fines I am also worried. Police is same corrupt as before. What if the traffic violation is just stated by police when never happened? How many times did I pay police who stopped me for no reason!?! It's not enough to collect data like that. If the rule of law isn't guaranteed it is a step in the wrong direction!

If they want to have less deadly accidents, they must do more alcohol checking and more speed checking. Why are people dying every day in the Sukhumvit road in Pattaya? Why use car drivers and big bike drivers the Road as racing grounds. 120km/h and more, no traffic rules and completely  incompetent drivers... What else do you need ?

Will the BIB/land trans office make it a finable offense to alter the registration tags, ie taking the black off of the letters/numbers, painting over same, no registration tag on rear of vehicle, etc.  Now from what I read, the BIB will only tell the person stopped for that type of offense and tell them to get a new tag.  But if they run a stoplight, speed trap etc prior to being stopped and (if they do get a new tag or register the  vehicle), there would be no way to find them unless the police are going to be on the spot.  Every day I see at least 20 vehicles violating the registration tag laws, some days even  a lot more than 20, normally the wife and I just stop counting after 20 and that is usually in the AM prior to PM outing.  How about all the cutins instead of waiting in the queue for a stoplight, sometimes I have to wait in that queue for 3/34 light changes before able to go thru as there are so many cut ins not waiting in the proper lanes' queue?

R they really serious about slowing to 60 frm 90 going into an umong?  I noticed two weeks ago, about 100 BIB training with the new speed cameras along the service road next to the super highway.  Guess they will be out in force to take pictures of speeders too. 

• Like 1