Safety on point: Demerit point penalties for traffic violations to start

rooster59

3 hours ago, johnny49r said:

Not much to worry about - have you ever seen police enforcing anything? 

Yep ur right I  am just laughing my butt off here they enforce nothing not even when there is  a traffic offence right in front of their eyes Oh that"s right they dont see the motorcycle riders riding around with no helmets :cheesy:

I guess this means that we'll have to go to the DLT Office (and pay) to get a traffic abstract now every time we renew our motor vehicle insurance.  I bet the Insurance companies are also going to raise rates for those with a deduction of points on their driving records. 

Sounds like a decent revenue generator for the DLT and the insurance companies to me. 

I still advocate the use of sheriffs and bailiffs to crack down on the amount of unpaid fines. 

Scan the number plates and impound the vehicle or clamp it until all fines are paid. 

Instead of complaining about the unpaid money (hospital bills too) link it to the passport and flag it on departure. 

The passport number is on the driver's license and the same is recorded by the hospital's. 

But that only takes care of the pesky farangs...

Would be interesting to see the % of each nationality. 

• Like 2

...so after the loss of 12 points you lose your licence for 90 days..hmm dont they mean your License will be Suspended for 90 Days..in fact you need to lose an extra point ie 13 to then not be able to drive and hand in your License...so you get your License returned to you after 90 Days; but how long is it before you get your full 12 points back?...or do you have to earn them back by waiting 12 months from the date of each offence where demerit points were applied?

...ok, so they introduce a Demerit Point System for all the Licensed drivers/riders....which means more danger as all the Unlicensed users make a determined run for it...or will Traffic Police make a real effort and trace/rundown/kick off and lock-up this BIG percentage of users...i wonder what their powers will be..not only Unlicensed but Un-registered and Un-insured vehicles as well...the streets and compounds will be full.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Anyone else think that this will just mean more backhanders ?

I'm positive mate, they will just take backhanders from people without licences, and take backhanders in return for not deducting the points from people with licences.

Unless you are caught speeding on camera the points wont be deducted, and if you ever reach the stage that all your points have been deducted because of the camera, you just go back to the backhanders for no license.

It's a good initiative but it will never work here. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, P100 said:

While I am happy to see they do something else than just collect fines I am also worried. Police is same corrupt as before. What if the traffic violation is just stated by police when never happened? How many times did I pay police who stopped me for no reason!?! It's not enough to collect data like that. If the rule of law isn't guaranteed it is a step in the wrong direction!

This is why you fit a camera.  There's no proof like a video shown on the spot.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, justin case said:

put camera's on every red light, take away a few points and make them pay or impound the car, eventually they might learn

who am I kidding ????

But that is too easy. 

These new cameras are capable of recording multiple images and things.

(Subject of a previous post)

The thai police are only capable of thinking about one thing at a time. 

Play with phone 

Tea money 

Eating 

Looking for farang to fine.

Avoiding anything that concerns paperwork and effort...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

the only thing i liked about thailand is i can drive and ride like an idiot and just pay fines, or not by doing runners from checkpoints. dam it!!

Hmm, If someone like to drive like an idiot and like to ride like an idiot - then he most likely is an idiot ... ????

Pls misunderstand me correctly, this is just a summary of what's already said ... :thumbsup:

9 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

It's a way forward, but unless they are prepare to really enforce the law, i.e. jail those who drive/ride unlicensed because we all know how many don't have licenses, or do we ?

Cops on the take can sort that, i.e. turn a blind eye.

Will this be linked up to the motor registry to cancel registrations/licenses unless the fines are paid, or will they give a 50% discount if paid on time ????

I will give them credit for wanting to make it work, but until they get serious about enforcing it, well it's just another plan with no umphf and may fall beside the roadside, as most others have.

" jail those who drive/ride unlicensed"??? Man, go back to 1930's Nazi Germany please!

3 hours ago, tandor said:

...so after the loss of 12 points you lose your licence for 90 days..hmm dont they mean your License will be Suspended for 90 Days..in fact you need to lose an extra point ie 13 to then not be able to drive and hand in your License...so you get your License returned to you after 90 Days; but how long is it before you get your full 12 points back?...or do you have to earn them back by waiting 12 months from the date of each offence where demerit points were applied?

As I said, the article is a mess of contradictions.  When you've lost all 12 points, your are banned from driving for 90 days.  However, points lost will not be restored for 12 months!!  

Go figure.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

the only thing i liked about thailand is i can drive and ride like an idiot and just pay fines, or not by doing runners from checkpoints. dam it!!

...and hit, maim, kill people at will without consequence...love this place.  Remember red bull boy story!

10 hours ago, BenBen23 said:

" jail those who drive/ride unlicensed"??? Man, go back to 1930's Nazi Germany please!

What part of 24,000 deaths per year don't you understand making an immature comment like that, but then again, it just goes to show some of the comments we get here from new keyboard warriors who add to the already existing here.

Unsurprisingly, more than 50% of motorcycle fatalities involved unlicensed riders. Most of them learned to ride motorcycles from families and friends, thanks to weak licensing policy and the public’s underestimation of risks.

But don't take my word for it, yes, yes, let's go back to what you were saying, a great solutions, oh by the way, I didn't see anything constructive from you to add to the others who have posted here, perhaps you only know how to be negative, which makes a keyboard warrior stand out even more, do tell, how would YOU address the situation, oh forgot, keyboard warriors can't, because all they do is criticise others from where they are sitting.

Source: https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/1628238/motorcycles-key-to-solving-road-deaths

Edited by 4MyEgo