Safety on point: Demerit point penalties for traffic violations to start

rooster59

1 hour ago, The Preacher said:

How many citations for driving with no license will it take to get your unlicensed driving privilege suspended?  Just asking?

Article says 10,000 baht fine and/or jail time. But goes on to say this is not usually enforced. Just a joke.  

On 12/7/2019 at 11:27 AM, unamazedloso said:

the only thing i liked about thailand is i can drive and ride like an idiot and just pay fines, or not by doing runners from checkpoints. dam it!!

Drivers and idiot riders account for the tens of thousands of roadway dead. Best of luck.

• Like 2

TIT here we have another fire, ready, aim plan. There are reported to be 10 million unlicensed drivers on the roads in Thailand...let that sink in 10 million, who will have no insurance either. What are they going to do with unlicensed drivers. Fine them 200 baht for tea money?

Having a safe road system is not rocket science and there are plenty of countries that could be examples for Thailand but the powers that be see it as losing face to look at systems in other countries. 

I am gratified to see some new road signs especially the speed limits and cameras....but how about some road markings to identify who has right of way or if the road is a one way street and cameras at all traffic lights. These are cheap ways that will generate income, and I would be happy if the police keep all or part of the income as a bonus. Plus get rid of these inane traffic stops which apparently are doing nothing at all to catch unlicensed drivers, underaged driver, or people driving with no helmet.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HHTel said:

As I said, the article is a mess of contradictions.  When you've lost all 12 points, your are banned from driving for 90 days.  However, points lost will not be restored for 12 months!!  

Go figure.

you can sit on 12 lost but only when you lose your 13th demerit point will you have your License suspended.

16 hours ago, HHTel said:

As I said, the article is a mess of contradictions.  When you've lost all 12 points, your are banned from driving for 90 days.  However, points lost will not be restored for 12 months!!  

Go figure.

So you drive with no license for 9 months.

40% of the population drive for 12 months with no license now....

And school kids 3 or 4 to a bike.

The wife's daughter has had a bike 12 months now,  and still hasn't had any time to do the driving test..

Mai bpen rai.

How can they sell a bike registered but the rider has no licence???

On 12/7/2019 at 2:30 PM, johnny49r said:

Not much to worry about - have you ever seen police enforcing anything? 

y e a h                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

I sat with the tattoo guy yesterday drinking his coffee 

he said that he tell the traffic police anything because a lot of the licenses he sees the holders are not intitled to drive motorcycle in there country 

he says there is one cop that wants to be taught about  the licenses 

he told him if he can get a photocopy of the licenses he will explain everything to him in detail                                          now that has spoiled his fun

On 12/7/2019 at 11:37 AM, 4MyEgo said:

It's a way forward, but unless they are prepare to really enforce the law, i.e. jail those who drive/ride unlicensed because we all know how many don't have licenses, or do we ?

Cops on the take can sort that, i.e. turn a blind eye.

Will this be linked up to the motor registry to cancel registrations/licenses unless the fines are paid, or will they give a 50% discount if paid on time ????

I will give them credit for wanting to make it work, but until they get serious about enforcing it, well it's just another plan with no umphf and may fall beside the roadside, as most others have.

Silly.....  a lot of locals dont pay road tax (registration) or have a licence.. not own a helmet, and many are too young to have a licence...  illegal sidecars... blah blah.. its all a huge joke...  just catch silly farangs..

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Seeall said:

Silly.....  a lot of locals dont pay road tax (registration) or have a licence.. not own a helmet, and many are too young to have a licence...  illegal sidecars... blah blah.. its all a huge joke...  just catch silly farangs..

Who pay road tax, are licensed and have insurance, go figure....

On 12/8/2019 at 1:27 PM, Pedrogaz said:

TIT here we have another fire, ready, aim plan. There are reported to be 10 million unlicensed drivers on the roads in Thailand...let that sink in 10 million, who will have no insurance either. What are they going to do with unlicensed drivers. Fine them 200 baht for tea money?

Having a safe road system is not rocket science and there are plenty of countries that could be examples for Thailand but the powers that be see it as losing face to look at systems in other countries. 

I am gratified to see some new road signs especially the speed limits and cameras....but how about some road markings to identify who has right of way or if the road is a one way street and cameras at all traffic lights. These are cheap ways that will generate income, and I would be happy if the police keep all or part of the income as a bonus. Plus get rid of these inane traffic stops which apparently are doing nothing at all to catch unlicensed drivers, underaged driver, or people driving with no helmet.

some ask what is that road sign? 60 what?   60 thb for what.. not understand

• Like 1

On 12/8/2019 at 2:56 PM, tandor said:

you can sit on 12 lost but only when you lose your 13th demerit point will you have your License suspended.

Not true.  Merit points work on two levels across the world. 

1.  A given amount of points which get subtracted until they reach zero

2. Points are added until they reach a maximum.

There is no '13th' demerit.  Once you've reached zero then you cannot drive.

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

Not true.  Merit points work on two levels across the world. 

1.  A given amount of points which get subtracted until they reach zero

2. Points are added until they reach a maximum.

There is no '13th' demerit.  Once you've reached zero then you cannot drive.

..legally you would have to incur a further demerit point loss...for the sake of it i called it the '13th' of 'next' penalty before you physically have to surrender your license.

By the way...these are 'demerit points' not 'merit points'...you get those from a monk..????

Edited by tandor

11 hours ago, tandor said:

legally you would have to incur a further demerit point loss...for the sake of it i called it the '13th' of 'next' penalty before you physically have to surrender your license.

11 hours ago, tandor said:

By the way...these are 'demerit points' not 'merit points'...you get those from a monk..

They are neither 'demerit points' or 'merit points', just the terminology that's being used.

Check it out, not just Thailand but the many countries using similar systems.

10 hours ago, HHTel said:

They are neither 'demerit points' or 'merit points', just the terminology that's being used.

Check it out, not just Thailand but the many countries using similar systems.

...check it out yourself HHTel..i made the comment: i wonder what Thais system will be, as in other countries there have been legal challenges to the 12th point loss, making it when the next or 13th point has been infringed on...geez!

5 hours ago, tandor said:

...check it out yourself HHTel..i made the comment: i wonder what Thais system will be, as in other countries there have been legal challenges to the 12th point loss, making it when the next or 13th point has been infringed on...geez!

I have.

In the UK:

Under current legislation, you will be disqualified under the "totting up" procedure if you amass 12 points within any 3 year period. However, the rules are different for new drivers. Any driver who amasses 6 points within the first 2 years of passing their test will have their licence revoked.

Point systems are used all over the world.  The numbers differ between countries and even between states in the US.  However, the principle is the same whether deducting points from a start value or totting up to a maximum.  A 13th point is allowed in New South Wales if you can prove yourself to be a 'professional driver'!

I invite you to show me where the '13th point' has been challenged successfully. 

19 hours ago, HHTel said:

I have.

In the UK:

Point systems are used all over the world.  The numbers differ between countries and even between states in the US.  However, the principle is the same whether deducting points from a start value or totting up to a maximum.  A 13th point is allowed in New South Wales if you can prove yourself to be a 'professional driver'!

I invite you to show me where the '13th point' has been challenged successfully. 

New South Wales.

38 minutes ago, tandor said:
39 minutes ago, tandor said:

New South Wales.

Read my post for goodness sake:

19 hours ago, HHTel said:

A 13th point is allowed in New South Wales if you can prove yourself to be a 'professional driver'!

Did I not cover that?

21 hours ago, HHTel said:

I have.

In the UK:

In Georgia you would get points for different violations but those points came off after a certain time after the violations so unless you were an habitual violator you wouldn't loose your license

Agreed, Fred.  That's pretty universal.  A ban, except for some serious offences, is given when your points reduce to zero or meet the maximum, depending on which system is being used.

My post was in response to a post saying that the ban would only apply when points reach -1 or 13 (on a 12 point system)

Apart from New South Wales, I couldn't find any instances of being given one extra point. Even in NSW it was dependent upon another rule and even then can only be given by the court.

Sorry, but it's turned into a mountain out of a molehill.  I've stated the facts as I know them and now I'll shut up.

18 hours ago, HHTel said:

Read my post for goodness sake:

Did I not cover that?

...probably. I was posing the question, i wonder if they will realise that it is not just as easy as it seems, citing this example in some Australian states where the legislation has been challenged. I am not privy to all the Court Appeals publications but can only relate what has appeared in newspapers out of public interest, particularly NSW, WA and TAS. I cannot object to what the local authorities decide on, but you can rest assured the offenders will try to find a way around it. Just raising the point out of Forum interest. Cya. 

• 2 months later...