Jump to content
BANGKOK
hewigh

Got questioned before but visa on arrival should still be 'legal'

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

 

I'm having a dilemma regarding whether I should waste part of my holiday on applying for a tourist visa in order not to be refused entry (though I suspect I'd still be allowed entry without one). Brief summary:

 

As a Dutch national I will have spent a total of 142 days in Thailand (in a six month period) when I return from a 10-day trip in Myanmar. Of those 142 days, 90 have been on 3 visas on arrival (1 border crossing, two arrivals at DMK), and the first 52 on a tourist visa. Now, two weeks ago when I did my visa run to Singapore and came back the next day, the immigraiton official immediately flagged me with her supervisor and I was questioned for 15 odd minutes. I was approved entry in the end but was 'warned' I should apply for a suitable visa next time I wanted to enter the Kingdom. However, the official also made it clear the official cut-off period for refusing entry on solely visas on arrival would be at a stay of 180 days (at that point I wasn't even close to that figure, with only 112 days in total). He literally said I could maybe be allowed entry again on a visa-on-arrival but recommended I had to apply for an actual visa. As a side note, I have lived in Thailand back in 2017 and 2018 on several different visas as well, including a 9-month leg on a non-RS/ED.

 

My dilemma is as follows: Though I'm definitely open to the idea of applying for a tourist visa, although I plan to indefinitely leave Thailand anyway in January within the 30 days periods of a visa-on-arrival, the Yangon-based embassy lists on its website:

 

Quote

Additional documents for applicant who has had extension of stay or many entries to Thailand

1. letter of employment (for employee) or

2. company registration (for business owner) or

3. Guarantee/invitation letter from company in Thailand

 

which seems to apply to me and would make it impossible for me to successfully complete a visa application. So my first question to everyone would be: to what extent does the Yangon-based embassy actually pay attention to this part?

 

Secondly, since I'm still well within the 180 days period as per the warning of the immigration official, and I already have booked a flight ticket leaving Thailand, what do you figure are my chances upon disembarking at DMK? Would it be a matter of being lucky/unlucky depending on which official will stamp my passport, or ..?

 

Thanks in advance!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hewigh said:

Of those 142 days, 90 have been on 3 visas on arrival (1 border crossing, two arrivals at DMK), and the first 52 on a tourist visa

None of those three so-called "visas on arrival" were visas at all. As a Dutch national you would have received three visa-exempt entries. That in itself would be a red flag to an IO

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you plan on leaving and re-entering the country only to get a new 30 day visa exempt entry (a visa on arrival is only for 15 days).

You could extend your current 30 day entry for 30 days at a immigration office is you are just wanting more time to stay in the country.

I don't recall any reports of the embassy in Yangon enforcing those requirements. I think they are mostly meant to be for citizens of Myanmar.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ThaiBunny said:

None of those three so-called "visas on arrival" were visas at all. As a Dutch national you would have received three visa-exempt entries. That in itself would be a red flag to an IO

Sorry for misusing the lingo, yes, they were visa exemptions. Why would that number be considered a red flag? As far as I'm aware, since the beginning of 2019 the Thai authorities allow a maximum of 6 arrivals through air and 2 at border crossings. This year my arrivals only tally up to 4 so far, and the arrival in question would be number 5.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Do you plan on leaving and re-entering the country only to get a new 30 day visa exempt entry (a visa on arrival is only for 15 days).

You could extend your current 30 day entry for 30 days at a immigration office is you are just wanting more time to stay in the country.

I don't recall any reports of the embassy in Yangon enforcing those requirements. I think they are mostly meant to be for citizens of Myanmar.

Thanks for the last statement. As to the first questions, unfortunately they are not applicable. I'm going on a 10 day trip, and when returning to Thailand I'll have to spend another 25 days until my flight out of the country takes place. If I'd do a 30-day extension now, it would still be annulled when I leave for Myanmar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

142 days in Thailand in 6 months with two VE and one TV in that period? You will definitely be questioned arriving at an airport at the very least.

 

By "suitable visa" I think they mean any visa other than a VE or tourist visa because they probably no longer consider you a tourist.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Legal or not legal, is no longer a question for you, but you will find it hard to walk on the same path. (Shakespeare-influencer)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SteveK said:

142 days in Thailand in 6 months with two VE and one TV in that period? You will definitely be questioned arriving at an airport at the very least.

 

By "suitable visa" I think they mean any visa other than a VE or tourist visa because they probably no longer consider you a tourist.

 

agreed, i myself also wouldnt think hes a tourist anymore.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

 

agreed, i myself also wouldnt think hes a tourist anymore.

I would agree. But the overview page of the visa the IO showed me as part of the warning also included a tourist visa. And I asked him to make sure a tourist visa would suffice, and he said yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, hewigh said:

I would agree. But the overview page of the visa the IO showed me as part of the warning also included a tourist visa. And I asked him to make sure a tourist visa would suffice, and he said yes.

People have been denied entry at DM airport even with tourist visas. Have you used your 2 ve entries via border for current year. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hewigh said:

I would agree. But the overview page of the visa the IO showed me as part of the warning also included a tourist visa. And I asked him to make sure a tourist visa would suffice, and he said yes.

They just tell you any old rubbish.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to hijack ...well, ok, yes:  similar situation in that I spent a total of four months in Thailand on a METV between March and August, and would prefer to not get another one for another as it takes a day out of limited time available. Will be spending 3.5 months in SE Asia January through mid April, with 2.5-3 planned in Thailand. 
 

Do I need an METV?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tjo o tjim said:

Not to hijack ...well, ok, yes:  similar situation in that I spent a total of four months in Thailand on a METV between March and August, and would prefer to not get another one for another as it takes a day out of limited time available. Will be spending 3.5 months in SE Asia January through mid April, with 2.5-3 planned in Thailand. 
 

Do I need an METV?

You would probably be able to use visa exempt entries, but a single entry tourist visa (at least) would not hurt.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...