12 months left on passport is fine?

Hi

I am from Australia.

I have changed my trip to thailand to feb on a 60 day tourist visa and will extend 1 month and my passport expires jan 10 2021... will there will be enough months left on my passport to arrive? It usually says that 6 months should be left on your passport but is that from the date of arrival or is it from the date the visa is issued? I will apply for visa in January 2020 which leaves 12 months left on passport, can someone confirm this is fine?

Also whats the process in renewing it in thailand as i am thinking of travelling asia for a few months after thailand.

Do you do it at the Australian embassy?

Whats the price?

And how long does it take?

I wont have the time to renew before i leave so any advice will be helpful. 

Cheers

You have more than enough passport validity to enter Thailand. 

Only multiple entry visas issued at a embassy or consulate that are valid for one year require 12 months of passport validity.

If needed later your can apply for a passport at the Australian embassy in Bangkok. See: https://thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/Australian_Passports_Page.html

• Like 1

On 12/7/2019 at 12:05 PM, ubonjoe said:

You have more than enough passport validity to enter Thailand. 

Only multiple entry visas issued at a embassy or consulate that are valid for one year require 12 months of passport validity.

If needed later your can apply for a passport at the Australian embassy in Bangkok. See: https://thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/Australian_Passports_Page.html

Are METVs issued at those places normally valid for 1 year or is that something special?

Sorry guys i have to ask a couple of other questions cos i might have a different plan.

My passport expires jan 10 2021...

My 60 day visa plus 30 day extension will take me to may 4. 

On may 3 will i be able to go into laos for 2 weeks at a border crossing in ubon and then come back mid may and stay thailand 30 more days heading back to oz in mid June....will my passport have enough months left? I calculate going back into thailand mid may will leave 7 and a half months...

Also can i come back at a border crossing for 30 days or is it still 15?

Which is the best border crossing from ubon into laos?

Cheers for any  info in this....

So you asking about something that is about a year and half in the future.

Only 6 months of passport validity is needed so no problem to enter the country.

You get a 30 day entry. The 15 day rule was rescinded about 3 years ago.

The nearest and best crossing to here is Chong Mek.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

So you asking about something that is about a year and half in the future.

Only 6 months of passport validity is needed so no problem to enter the country.

You get a 30 day entry. The 15 day rule was rescinded about 3 years ago.

The nearest and best crossing to here is Chong Mek.

Yeah ok no worries. Thanks 

2 hours ago, johnny2times said:

Yeah ok no worries. Thanks 

Apologies ubon i wasnt specific with my dates  its Actually not a year and a half in the future...its next year wanting to re enter thailand mid may next year 2020 at a border crossing.  Passport expires jan 2021...thats 7 / 8 months left. 

I don't know if 6 months is 6 months or a grumpy IO might hassle me being so close to the 6 month mark ..im not an experienced traveler.

Cheers 

7 minutes ago, johnny2times said:

I don't know if 6 months is 6 months or a grumpy IO might hassle me being so close to the 6 month mark ..im not an experienced traveler.

In reality there is no 6 month rule for those from many countries. A passport valid for the intended stay is all that is required.

The 6 months validity is needed for all neighboring countries and many others.

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

In reality there is no 6 month rule for those from many countries. A passport valid for the intended stay is all that is required.

The 6 months validity is needed for all neighboring countries and many others.

Ok thanks ubon i  appreciate your advice / info thats good to hear