Fees for a Thai credit card

Hi everyone, i've been living in Thailand for many years with a work permit and i'm planning to get a Thai credit card. Does anyone know how much Thai banks charge for their credit cards (knowing i will always be paying on time)?

You normally pay an initial fee on being issued the credit card, which varies from card to card. Annually thereafter there is a separate fee, however if you spend over a certain amount during the previous year the annual fee is waived.

The application fee, annual fee and the spending threshold to be exempted from the annual fee are clearly posted on the various bank websites.

As an example, the SCB My Travel credit card has a 3,000 baht fee immediately after the card is granted, and a 3,000 baht annual fee thereafter. However if you spend 300,000 baht on the card during the year then the next annual fee is waived.

2 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Apart from the yearly charge for the card...

Generally, there is a spending threshold. Spend more than the threshold and the annual fee is waived.

This will of course be a factor in deciding if obtaining a credit card is worthwhile.

The OP works here, so he might be able to put work expenditure on his card and then reclaim through expenses. That can make a card very worthwhile.

3 hours ago, blackcab said:

Generally, there is a spending threshold. Spend more than the threshold and the annual fee is waived.

This will of course be a factor in deciding if obtaining a credit card is worthwhile.

The OP works here, so he might be able to put work expenditure on his card and then reclaim through expenses. That can make a card very worthwhile.

To be clear, at least with the Thai cards I have (Citibank Visa & Thai American Express) the fees aren’t automatically waved, they bill you for them then reverse the charge when you call in. 

5 hours ago, allane said:

I am with SCB. I pay no fee.

Every word of my four word sentence is correct: "I pay no fee".  There is no annual charge, and I do not think there is a minimum required spend to avoid one.  I can't recall if I paid an initial application fee, though I think not. I have had my card about nineteen or twenty years. I got it to replace a Bangkok Bank one, after they told me they were going to begin to charge an annual fee.

Archived