BANGKOK
lelapin

Marriage Extension

I have lived in Thailand for 17 years and currently have a  Non-Immigrant O-A visa which comes up for renewal April 2020. I very recently married my Thai g/f and I am reviewing whether to switch to an extension based on marriage. If I decide to follow that route, would it be advisable to apply now or should I wait until April before I switch.

Do you have a valid OA visa issued by an embassy or consulate or a one year extension of stay based upon retirement issued by immigration?

Best to wait until your current extension of stay based upon retirement to change to one based upon marriage.

Most offices would not do it until then. Also check with Jomtien immigration about doing the change since they could insist you got a out for a single entry non-o visa before doing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sound advice - as usual - from UbonJoe.

Best to apply as early as possible (30 days before expiry of your permission to stay) for an extension based on your original OA Visa, but this time not for retirement but for MARRIAGE, so that there is sufficient time to process it.

As an extension based on Marriage involves extensive paper-work, some IOs prefer that you do the application for a Non Imm O based on marriage at a thai embassy/consulate abroad (your home-country or a neighboring country), and they advise accordingly.

If your local IO does not want to process your application for an OA extension based on marriage, you should also inquire whether they would be willing to issue a Non Imm O Visa based on marriage.  Because it is of course easier to apply for a Non Imm O at your local IO than to do it abroad, since doing it locally would only require a short trip (or a nice holiday) abroad and to return Visa exempt. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration can only issue non immigrant visas if you have a visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

Thanks, I should have been more clear.

My reasoning to suggest enquiring on that option, when IO advises against the OA extension for marriage, and suggests to go abroad and apply for a Non Imm O Visa - marriage, was that when you make it clear that you have no intention to apply abroad, and that you would come back with an application for a Non Imm O Visa - marriage, that they might 'bite the bullet' and accept your application for an OA extension based on marriage.  

Thanks for the advice which 5 years ago I would have been happy to follow but I am a sick 78 year old man who is looking for an easy solution. I am not well enough to travel out of the country at present and wonder if getting help from an agent might be the right approach for the first year. If the answer to that question is yes, is there an agent in Pattaya that you would recommend.

Edited by lelapin

I can't speak for Jomtien but I do not find the paperwork horribly onerous for non-o marriage at CW. Biggest hassle is getting new kr2 each year, taking and processing photos. I'd just stay on your retirement visa for now. Let your marriage build a few years. Prolly get more respect for the Visa in year 3-4 even if your first. You also don't look like you got married to shift to a different extension and $$ requirement true or not. Same paperwork each year btw.

Edited by Number 6

41 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Biggest hassle is getting new kr2 each year, taking and processing photos.

It only takes about 10 or 15 minutes for my wife to request a printout of the Kor Ror 2 at the Amphoe.

No big problem to take the photos and printing them out.

47 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I'd just stay on your retirement visa for now.

I think the OP is concerned about the the insurance for the extension based upon retirement application.

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It only takes about 10 or 15 minutes for my wife to request a printout of the Kor Ror 2 at the Amphoe.

My amphoe, I rarely wait more than 15 mins as well. It's printed, stamped in 3 mins. No complaints, just comment. I need to take off work that can be an issue. I always take the pics to the photo shop. My printer only does black theses days.

But in summary getting the packet together is not a big deal. Some make a big drama of it but it's not.

I do wish they would scan key documents and keep them on hand. After five years of marriage they should really be allowing online renewals and maybe face to face every third year. But here we are 2020 and some people married decades get annual visits.

54 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think the OP is concerned about the the insurance for the extension based upon retirement application.

Will I need medical insurance for the retirement extension I currently have (see copy above). Not possible for me due to age and medical history. If so, is it not needed for marriage extension.

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

I can't speak for Jomtien but I do not find the paperwork horribly onerous for non-o marriage at CW. ,,,

It's not the extensive paperwork for the applicant that is the problem. 

It's the paperwork for the IO where you are applying, and that they like to avoid.  And because of the paperwork involved FOR THEM some IOs advise or even direct applicants to apply abroad.  Often that easy solution (for the IO) is not in the best interest of the applicant.  So if your IO wants to force you that route, and it's not convenient for you, be polite and insistent that you prefer to do the application with them instead of abroad. 

However, be aware that IOs have the autonomy to make their own rules, so a 'lazy' IO might indeed result in you having to make the application abroad.

11 minutes ago, lelapin said:

Will I need medical insurance for the retirement extension I currently have (see copy above). Not possible for me due to age and medical history. If so, is it not needed for marriage extension.

Can't tell from that stamp, need to see the original visa or (if you got a new passport since then) stamp on one of the first few pages placed by immigration which would reference your prior passport and visa stating either O or OA.

Jomtien will require insurance for retirement extension if it says OA. o

Might ot  might not require it for marriage extension if it was OA, need to ask them.

Definitely not required for any type of extension if it was O. 

19 minutes ago, lelapin said:

Almost certainly you will be required to have thai-approved health-insurance when you apply for your next extension of your OA - retirement Visa april 2020.  But since you are married, instead of applying for an extension based on retirement, you could apply for an extension of your OA Visa based on MARRIAGE.

When IO - in order to avoid the paperwork involved - tells you to go abroad and apply for a Non Imm O Visa, argue your case, that travel for you is very difficult being old and sick, and that you strongly prefer to do the application at your local IO.

Edited by Peter Denis