Marriage Extension

I have lived in Thailand for 17 years and currently have a  Non-Immigrant O-A visa which comes up for renewal April 2020. I very recently married my Thai g/f and I am reviewing whether to switch to an extension based on marriage. If I decide to follow that route, would it be advisable to apply now or should I wait until April before I switch.

Best to wait until your current extension of stay based upon retirement to change to one based upon marriage.

Most offices would not do it until then. Also check with Jomtien immigration about doing the change since they could insist you got a out for a single entry non-o visa before doing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sound advice - as usual - from UbonJoe.

Best to apply as early as possible (30 days before expiry of your permission to stay) for an extension based on your original OA Visa, but this time not for retirement but for MARRIAGE, so that there is sufficient time to process it.

As an extension based on Marriage involves extensive paper-work, some IOs prefer that you do the application for a Non Imm O based on marriage at a thai embassy/consulate abroad (your home-country or a neighboring country), and they advise accordingly.

If your local IO does not want to process your application for an OA extension based on marriage, you should also inquire whether they would be willing to issue a Non Imm O Visa based on marriage.  Because it is of course easier to apply for a Non Imm O at your local IO than to do it abroad, since doing it locally would only require a short trip (or a nice holiday) abroad and to return Visa exempt. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration can only issue non immigrant visas if you have a visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

Thanks, I should have been more clear.

My reasoning to suggest enquiring on that option, when IO advises against the OA extension for marriage, and suggests to go abroad and apply for a Non Imm O Visa - marriage, was that when you make it clear that you have no intention to apply abroad, and that you would come back with an application for a Non Imm O Visa - marriage, that they might 'bite the bullet' and accept your application for an OA extension based on marriage.  

Thanks for the advice which 5 years ago I would have been happy to follow but I am a sick 78 year old man who is looking for an easy solution. I am not well enough to travel out of the country at present and wonder if getting help from an agent might be the right approach for the first year. If the answer to that question is yes, is there an agent in Pattaya that you would recommend.

Edited by lelapin

I can't speak for Jomtien but I do not find the paperwork horribly onerous for non-o marriage at CW. Biggest hassle is getting new kr2 each year, taking and processing photos. I'd just stay on your retirement visa for now. Let your marriage build a few years. Prolly get more respect for the Visa in year 3-4 even if your first. You also don't look like you got married to shift to a different extension and $$ requirement true or not. Same paperwork each year btw.

Edited by Number 6

41 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Biggest hassle is getting new kr2 each year, taking and processing photos.

It only takes about 10 or 15 minutes for my wife to request a printout of the Kor Ror 2 at the Amphoe.

No big problem to take the photos and printing them out.

47 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I'd just stay on your retirement visa for now.

I think the OP is concerned about the the insurance for the extension based upon retirement application.

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It only takes about 10 or 15 minutes for my wife to request a printout of the Kor Ror 2 at the Amphoe.

My amphoe, I rarely wait more than 15 mins as well. It's printed, stamped in 3 mins. No complaints, just comment. I need to take off work that can be an issue. I always take the pics to the photo shop. My printer only does black theses days.

But in summary getting the packet together is not a big deal. Some make a big drama of it but it's not.

I do wish they would scan key documents and keep them on hand. After five years of marriage they should really be allowing online renewals and maybe face to face every third year. But here we are 2020 and some people married decades get annual visits.

54 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think the OP is concerned about the the insurance for the extension based upon retirement application.

Will I need medical insurance for the retirement extension I currently have (see copy above). Not possible for me due to age and medical history. If so, is it not needed for marriage extension.

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

I can't speak for Jomtien but I do not find the paperwork horribly onerous for non-o marriage at CW. ,,,

It's not the extensive paperwork for the applicant that is the problem. 

It's the paperwork for the IO where you are applying, and that they like to avoid.  And because of the paperwork involved FOR THEM some IOs advise or even direct applicants to apply abroad.  Often that easy solution (for the IO) is not in the best interest of the applicant.  So if your IO wants to force you that route, and it's not convenient for you, be polite and insistent that you prefer to do the application with them instead of abroad. 

However, be aware that IOs have the autonomy to make their own rules, so a 'lazy' IO might indeed result in you having to make the application abroad.

11 minutes ago, lelapin said:

Will I need medical insurance for the retirement extension I currently have (see copy above). Not possible for me due to age and medical history. If so, is it not needed for marriage extension.

Can't tell from that stamp, need to see the original visa or (if you got a new passport since then) stamp on one of the first few pages placed by immigration which would reference your prior passport and visa stating either O or OA.

Jomtien will require insurance for retirement extension if it says OA. o

Might ot  might not require it for marriage extension if it was OA, need to ask them.

Definitely not required for any type of extension if it was O. 

19 minutes ago, lelapin said:

Almost certainly you will be required to have thai-approved health-insurance when you apply for your next extension of your OA - retirement Visa april 2020.  But since you are married, instead of applying for an extension based on retirement, you could apply for an extension of your OA Visa based on MARRIAGE.

When IO - in order to avoid the paperwork involved - tells you to go abroad and apply for a Non Imm O Visa, argue your case, that travel for you is very difficult being old and sick, and that you strongly prefer to do the application at your local IO.

Edited by Peter Denis

45 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Can't tell from that stamp, need to see the original visa or (if you got a new passport since then) stamp on one of the first few pages placed by immigration which would reference your prior passport and visa stating either O or OA.

Jomtien will require insurance for retirement extension if it says OA. o

Might ot  might not require it for marriage extension if it was OA, need to ask them.

Definitely not required for any type of extension if it was O. 

Is this the one

image.thumb.png.d6b5eb8792cf3b10f3576b278d7fbbbf.png

Edited by lelapin

13 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Yes that is it and it seems you have a non-O not a non-OA.

So whether retirement extension or marriage extension, no insurance requirement.

Thanks for the good news. Don't know if you remember me but you also gave me some good info in Nov 2018 when you recommended Prof Chucheep.

14 hours ago, lelapin said:

Is this the one

Yes, and it appears to be a Non-Imm-O, which does not require insurance. If you still have the 800k (and it hasn't dropped below in the last 2 months), or can prove the income requirement, go get another extension. I just did it and it was straight-forward, although did require 2 trips to Jomtien. 

14 hours ago, lelapin said:

Is this the one?

> scan of passport-page with Non Imm O Visa

Health-insurance is NOT required for extension of a Non Imm O Visa.

My previous posts in this thread are hence not applicable for you, but might prove useful for someone that is confronted with the health-insurance requirement when applying for an extension of his Non Imm OA Visa - retirement.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

It's not the extensive paperwork for the applicant that is the problem. 

It's the paperwork for the IO where you are applying, and that they like to avoid.  And because of the paperwork involved FOR THEM some IOs advise or even direct applicants to apply abroad.  Often that easy solution (for the IO) is not in the best interest of the applicant.  So if your IO wants to force you that route, and it's not convenient for you, be polite and insistent that you prefer to do the application with them instead of abroad. 

However, be aware that IOs have the autonomy to make their own rules, so a 'lazy' IO might indeed result in you having to make the application abroad.

Never heard of such a thing. Not only that I always produce my 400k extension passbook and my large savings passbook photocopies. She always knocks back the latter in seconds.

My paperwork is processed in CW in ten minutes. We then get set aside to be double checked. That's ten or fifteen depending on the drama in front of us. Five minutes of smiling and checking and done.

This is just another fairy tale like the you need to spend down the money in the bank or questions will be raised tale. My funds have sat for 5-6 years untouched. No plomplem.

Your last point about an IO kicking back your perfectly good application and demanding you apply abroad is best laff I'll have all day. While I don't speak for entirely rogue offices but I could never see this happening in CW. How would they even go about presenting that???

...your application is fine but I'm too lazy to look at these additional four pages of documents therefore I'm demanding you leave the country, lose your extension and apply for a new Visa from a foreign country. Good day sir and madam. NEXT!

It would literally take longer to explain to the applicant the rejection, have the applicant argue about it for ten minutes. Blah blah. In that time two marriage extensionsb couldbe processed.

Edited by Number 6

17 hours ago, lelapin said:

Thanks for the advice which 5 years ago I would have been happy to follow but I am a sick 78 year old man who is looking for an easy solution. I am not well enough to travel out of the country at present and wonder if getting help from an agent might be the right approach for the first year. If the answer to that question is yes, is there an agent in Pattaya that you would recommend.

You will still need to put all the paper work together as an agent will not do that part. I am in the process of doing the switch myself. If you qualify for the retirement visa just sty with that, there will be no advzntzges for the switch unless the money is an issue.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

This is just another fairy tale like the you need to spend down the money in the bank or questions will be raised tale. My funds have sat for 5-6 years untouched. No plomplem.

Your last point about an IO kicking back your perfectly good application and demanding you apply abroad is best laff I'll have all day. While I don't speak for entirely rogue offices but I could never see this happening in CW. How would they even go about presenting that???

...your application is fine but I'm too lazy to look at these additional four pages of documents therefore I'm demanding you leave the country, lose your extension and apply for a new Visa from a foreign country. Good day sir and madam. NEXT!

FYI > The context of my post $13 was not about the regular - same as last time - extensions of stay that you are talking about.

My post was meant for applicants that want to get rid of the OA - retirement Visa their extensions are based upon.  And many want to do that to avoid the expensive and basically worthless health-insurance requirement.

There are 2 options:

- When married, you can apply for an extension of stay based on MARRIAGE instead of retirement at your local IO.  You can also exit Thailand and apply for a Non Imm O based on marriage in your home-country or a neighboring country.  But obviously the road-abroad is far less convenient for an applicant than simply applying at his local IO.

- When not married, you can exit the country and either apply for a Non Imm O - retirement in your home-country or in a neighboring country (e.g. Laos, Malaysia).  But you can also return to Thailand Visa exempt or with a Tourist visa, and apply for a Non Imm O - retirement Visa at your local IO.

>> There have been reports - but afaik not at CW - of applicants that were advised or directed to do their application abroad while they could have done it at their local IO. 

When it's the 'official' local policy at your local IO not to do it, that's unfortunate for you as that will force you to apply abroad.  But sometimes the reason for directing you abroad is the extensive paperwork they want to avoid.  In such cases polite insistence to handle your application locally is recommended.

But of course, you need to be aware of the various options otherwise you are at the mercy of the officer handling your application.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Thanks, I should have been more clear.

My reasoning to suggest enquiring on that option, when IO advises against the OA extension for marriage, and suggests to go abroad and apply for a Non Imm O Visa - marriage, was that when you make it clear that you have no intention to apply abroad, and that you would come back with an application for a Non Imm O Visa - marriage, that they might 'bite the bullet' and accept your application for an OA extension based on marriage.  

not sure why you are still saying to apply for a fresh non imm 'O' at immigration office, when it has been posted by ubonjoe that it is not possible when already on a non imm 'O' visa

2 minutes ago, steve187 said:

not sure why you are still saying to apply for a fresh non imm 'O' at immigration office, when it has been posted by ubonjoe that it is not possible when already on a non imm 'O' visa

UbonJoe is of course correct, but I am saying something completely different.

As has already been pointed out, it appears you have a Non-Immigrant O extension of stay based upon retirement and not an OA VISA. There will be no need to switch your extension of stay as you will not need to get health insurance to renew in April. I hold a Non-Immigrant O based upon Marriage so I don't have to keep any money in a Thai bank account. I simply move 40,000 baht per month into my account to meet the requirement. Yes there is more paperwork involved, but I get an agent, for a nominal fee, to put it all together for me. They are versed in any changes, and have the hassle free access to immigration that we do not. I am not interested in parking 800,000 baht in a nearly non existent interest bearing account where I can never withdraw the money. That money happily sits in a Vanguard brokerage account invested in the U.S. stock market currently at about a 7-10% rate of return. 

Edited by Tounge Thaied
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

As has already been pointed out, it appears you have a Non-Immigrant O extension of stay based upon retirement and not an OA VISA. There will be no need to switch your extension of stay as you will not need to get health insurance to renew in April. 

I came into Thailand 11 years ago on an O-A visa and have used both Retirement and Marriage at various times to get my one-year extension. My last extension was based on Retirement. I have plenty of money in the bank. I went down last week to get another one-year extension based on Marriage to avoid the health insurance requirement, but was told I need health insurance for any extension, Retirement or Marriage or Family, based on a O-A visa. As a result, I'm on my way to Vientiane next week to get an O based on Marriage.

I know different Immigration Offices seem to interpret these new rules differently, but that's what I was told in mine (Phetchabun.)

Just sayin'... ????

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, billsmart said:

I have an O-A and have at various times switched back and forth between using the Retirement and Marriage qualifications for a one-year extension.

why?  That seems a pointless set of exercises. Once I can understand, maybe twice, but doing it 'various times'; seems odd?

12 minutes ago, billsmart said:

I came into Thailand 11 years ago on an O-A visa and have used both Retirement and Marriage at various times to get my one-year extension. My last extension was based on Retirement. I have plenty of money in the bank. I went down last week to get another one-year extension based on Marriage to avoid the health insurance requirement, but was told I need health insurance for any extension, Retirement or Marriage or Family, based on a O-A visa. As a result, I'm on my way to Vientiane next week to get an O based on Marriage.

I know different Immigration Offices seem to interpret these new rules differently, but that's what I was told in mine (Phetchabun.)

Just sayin'... ????

The insurance requirement is based upon your VISA. The marriage and retirement extensions of stay are not VISA's strictly speaking. So... in your case, you are extending your stay based upon the OA VISA which will require health insurance. When an individual goes to renew a Non-Immigrant O extension based upon Retirement or Marriage, that extension of stay is usually based upon a 90 day VISA that was granted during the first application. 

Edited by Tounge Thaied
  • Like 1