Marriage Extension

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you entered after the report back date on the under consideration stamp you would lose your extension application and would have to apply again after getting a new non-o visa.

Thanks. I thought that would be the case. I am due for an operation, on a date I cannot control, in Australia about the same time my extension is due so could be a problem for me.

7 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Thanks. I thought that would be the case. I am due for an operation, on a date I cannot control, in Australia about the same time my extension is due so could be a problem for me.

Unless you have done one before you could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife to delay doing the application for the new one year extension. You would need a re-entry permit for the 60 day extension.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Unless you have done one before you could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife to delay doing the application for the new one year extension. You would need a re-entry permit for the 60 day extension.

Sorry Ubonjoe, but do not fully understand. I live here in Thailand with my wife and am currently on a retirement extension but plan to change to marriage when due in March. It will be quick trip back to Australia when I am given  the date of operation but will not be able to fly until 2 weeks after the operation.Are you saying I can get a 60 day extension at my local IO before the extension expires.

• 1 month later...
On 12/14/2019 at 1:20 PM, ubonjoe said:

Yes

Sorry to go back to an old topic but have just been to Phetchabun IO for the 90 day report but asked about the 60 day extension to visit the wife, and then the 1 year marriage extension. The officer told me that if I apply for the 60 day extension I could not later apply for the marriage extension. The reason being that my original visa was for retirement and that you can only change the reason for an extension once from the original reason. A bit was lost on me as her English was only passable. Is it you opinion that the officer is right or wrong.

Secondly, she said that I could apply for the 1 year marriage extension now (current retirement extension expires on 7 March) and that she would cancel the current extension/permission to stay immediately. The 30 day under consideration period would start from the day of application, not the 7 March. This would work for me as the date of my operation in Australia is now 2 April and I would not have to leave Thailand until the end of March.

This is different from my understanding from reading all of the recent topics on marriage extensions. Your opinion please, knowing that each office can be different.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

This is different from my understanding from reading all of the recent topics on marriage extensions. Your opinion please, knowing that each office can be different.

False info from the immigration officer. About only being able to do one change of the reason to for your extension. The 60 day extension does not change the reason for your existing extension and their is no rule that it can only be done once.

But it appears that your problem is solved now if can get the extension done now.

• Like 2