Best car ferry from Trat to Koh Chiang

Kenny202

Hi all. Heading to Koh Chiang on the ferry next Monday for a few days. Be staying around the white sands area. Not sure but I believe there are two car ferries from Trat, not sure from the same pier / area or not? Is one better than the other one? We plan to drive to Trat Sunday as I figured the ferries might likely be less busy in the morning before the buses and tourists arrive.

Any mist see areas on Koh Chang? Particularly like natural waterfalls, swimming holes etc. Any family friendly farang / Thai reasonably priced restaurants to recommend? Many thanks in advance

Best I think living here is Ao Thammachat to Ao Saparrot (Pineapple pier) quickest and closest from Bangkok. 25-30mins good boats.  The other is about 10kms away from the first on the mainland and closest to Trat.  Center Point and has a scheduled service many of the minibuses go there though takes about 45-50mins (slow boat)

Just now, Journeys End said:

Best I think living here is Ao Thammachat to Ao Saparrot (Pineapple pier) quickest and closest from Bangkok. 25-30mins good boats.  The other is about 10kms away from the first on the mainland and closest to Trat.  Center Point and has a scheduled service many of the minibuses go there though takes about 45-50mins (slow boat)

Agree.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=ao+thammachat+ferry+pier#

Thanks guys. Fastest the go for sure. Is there any advantage to getting there in the morning or booking ahead?

Have heard stories of three hours waiting in the car in a queue. Guess high season not really in full swing yet

One more other thing. Coming down from Khon Kaen and to break up the trip wanted to stay about an hour or two North of Trat for the night, somewhere along the way. Do the last short hop of the trip the next morning. Google maps a bit vague re towns on the way. Can anyone recommend a town or hotel? Quiet town, simple Thai Motel will do. Just a stop off for the night. 

10 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Thanks guys. Fastest the go for sure. Is there any advantage to getting there in the morning or booking ahead?

Have heard stories of three hours waiting in the car in a queue. Guess high season not really in full swing yet

I don't think you can do any booking for the ferry, just get there and wait for the first boat, about every 45 min.

The long queues are normally on Sunday evenings or end of holidays, when many Thai families go back home.

I would not worry about Ko Chang being busy. I was there last week and it was like a ghost town ( and that was White Sand beach) the ferry line was short and waited 10 min each time. It was 250 baht for 2 people and a car. Went from Ao T it was 30 minute ride. 

On 12/7/2019 at 4:36 PM, Kenny202 said:

One more other thing. Coming down from Khon Kaen and to break up the trip wanted to stay about an hour or two North of Trat for the night, somewhere along the way. Do the last short hop of the trip the next morning. Google maps a bit vague re towns on the way. Can anyone recommend a town or hotel? Quiet town, simple Thai Motel will do. Just a stop off for the night. 

Chanthaburi is an hour away, I lived there 6 years.  The Maneechan Resort has a great pool and is right on the Sukhumvit Highway.  Otherwise, if you're on a budget, the Hop Inn in the middle of town near the Lake has dormitory rooms for about 500

DSC_2683.thumb.jpg.4d46db704130072bf542486184f1fe51.jpg

DSC_4255.thumb.jpg.d3751758baf8688a8cff46c6c8f46431.jpg

FERRY

There are two ferries.

There's the main one, Ferry Koh Chang, which goes from Koh Chang Pier or Pineapple Bay Pier to Ao Thammachat / Natural Bay Pier on the mainland. This is the one I've always used. It's turn up - no booking - buy the ticket (price per car and each occupant), get in the queue (well organized, no queue jumping) and wait for the ferry. There's usually at least 3 ferries going back and forth to the island; no timetable, they just come and go. I always avoid the national holidays to cross as the queues are really horrendous; usually an hour wait or so at normal times (there's toilets etc at the ferry pier).

There's also the Center / Centre Point Ferry. Not so busy judging by the queues for it on the island but there must be a reason for that.

Friends who live and work on the island but have schooling on the mainland use Ferry Koh Chang.

When leaving the island on Ferry Koh Chang, the queue seems to be a line from just one direction only (i.e. coming from white sands bay side of the island and not from the side of the island facing the mainland), get in the line - you will know when you are in it. On a normal day you can drive up to within a couple of 100 metres of the ferry area and join the queue. Same process, buy a ticket, queue and wait for the next ferry.

STOP-OFF PLACES

We always stop-off at Chatrium Golf Resort Soi Dao Chanthaburi in Pong Nam Ron; it's a lovely place, peaceful, not expensive. It's 2hours drive from ferry.

Last trip we stopped of at Maneechan in Chanthaburi, it was ok but we prefer Chatrium.

ON THE ISLAND

Make sure you take a drive on the less popular side of the island facing the mainland. We always go once for lunch to Salak Phet seafood ( https://goo.gl/maps/tkA9T5SQc5R5pn2AA ) which is in a beautiful bay setting and has great food (little expensive) - use google maps or you may get lost in the final kms through the villages.

Ban Phe, or Mae Pimm or Chantaburi, visit catherdral Catholic Vietnamese 

To sleep closer to the ferry, Pailin Resort in Trat is nice and cheap. From there it's just about 30 mins to the ferries.

Locals all prefer Centrepoint ferries, they are faster then the ones of Kohchang Ferries, however the distance is more than double. All ferries are <deleted>, so no big difference. KCF 20-30 mins, Centrepoint 45 -55 mins.

Seafood is better in Bang Bao than in Salakpet. You might also check Salak Kok, nice seafood.

Best food most probably at Nirvana, but quite pricy.

For more info "iamkohchang" and many more sites.

My understanding is it's around an 8hr drive from KK to the Ferry so he's looking to break his journey an hour or 2 north of Trat.

Chantaburi is 1hr drive to ferry. Chatrium Soi dao is 1hr 40min. Sakaeo is 3hrs (Hop Inn is the best there).

On 12/7/2019 at 12:23 PM, Kenny202 said:

Heading to Koh Chiang on the ferry next Monday for a few days. Be staying around the white sands area. Not sure but I believe there are two car ferries from Trat, not sure from the same pier / area or not? Is one better than the other one? We plan to drive to Trat Sunday as I figured the ferries might likely be less busy in the morning before the buses and tourists arrive.

Any mist see areas on Koh Chang? Particularly like natural waterfalls, swimming holes etc. Any family friendly farang / Thai reasonably priced restaurants to recommend? Many thanks in advance

Do let us know where you stopped off, how you found the ferries to and from the island, decent places to stay, what to do, etc., so others can benefit from your experience.

8 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Do let us know where you stopped off, how you found the ferries to and from the island, decent places to stay, what to do, etc., so others can benefit from your experience.

We ended up stopping off at Chantaburi. Got a horrible little shoebox Thai style cabin thing, very uncomfortable night. Was a 300-400 baht hotel at best....we booked online 900 baht. Most of the hotels in Chantaburi were pricey for what they were. Didn't think a lot of Chantaburi. Been there done that now. Would be better areas to stay for sure. Trat or any if the small towns within an hour of the ferry.

The ferry trip was great, well organised and 30 mins waiting, loading and gone. about 300 baht one way, amazing!

We caught the Ferry for Ao Thammarat pier, the one out of Trat a bit. About 30 mins crossing and again very efficient offloading.

We loved the island and so glad to see it still not over developed. Seemed to be pretty quiet for this time of year felt sorry for the local businesses. Hope it stays that way. Maybe it could be boring for some people seeking nightlife etc. Was perfect for us and we spent most of our time in the resort, everything there we wanted. The local restaurants were super reasonable, cheaper than where I live and very good quality food. Didn't think to memorise the names. Plenty of Thai / Isaan food everywhere same price as normal Thailand. Didn't see any tourist gouging or people touting, insisting you buy stuff etc. Was a breath of fresh air. 

We stayed at Coconut Beach resort, and I am loathe to recommend it because it must be the best kept secret in Thailand! Just could not say enough good things about this hotel. Right from the time we stepped in we were upgraded to a nicer room. The price was incredibly cheap / good value (1300 baht night). I see a lot of comments saying the hotel is older and you could say that in a way, but everything in top condition, super clean and while it wasn't a showy ritzy place, it was very very nice. The hotel is right on the beach, ideal for kids, families. The beach itself has trees so nice and shady, kids can play on the beach right near the water in the shade. The water is not too deep without going out about 20 metres so ideal for kids. Very calm. Ideal setting. Two beautiful clean pools, one near the beach. Rooms are comfortable and spacious. Bathroom nice. Balcony. Breakfast lovely. The hotel restaurant was a big surprise. Really nice food and drinks and very very reasonably priced, cheaper than outside restaurants and right on the beach (Beef burger fries and salad 150 baht. Tall Leo 100 baht.) Staff were a delight. Always cheerful and happy. Easy parking. Location great. Not right in at White sands but only about 3km away. Every thing we needed was there at the hotel. Plenty of restaurants, pharmacy, 7 eleven and street food right out the front of the hotel. For those of us on a budget here was great value for money. Little restaurant up the road a bit towards town...had farang and Thai food, Best Pasta (Ravioli, Carbonara etc) I have had in Thailand and as good as an Italian restaurant (Thai chef). 160 baht Ravioli spinach and mushroom. Was really good as was the kids pasta. Alas didn't even notice the name.

One thing I was wondering about, and probably a question for the locals was the steep climb up the mountain for the ferry. Few nasty hairpin turns and super steep. The problem is people are obviously a bit frightened and go a bit too slow or stop sometimes when they shouldn't .....leaving the other people stuck behind on a very steep incline. I was wondering what this would be like with a wet slippery road. If your car started sliding back you would have little control (have actually been in this situation Petchabun). I would be engaging high 4wd at the least.

Other than that can not wait to go back again.  

On my motorcycle, I would always give a lot of leeway to the vehicle in front of me going up the steep inclines, for fear of it sliding down into me on the wet pavement.  Once I saw a truck that couldn't make it over the apex and the passengers in the cab got into the rear and starting jumping up and down, and this worked.

BTW, Chanthaburi is a much nicer town than Trat.

Archived