Honda Click 125i 2017 keeps stalling

scubascuba3

It used to happen every month or so, usually at junction to turn and when i accelerated away to turn the engine stalled. This morning it stalled again and wouldn't start after a few tries. 20 minutes later it started ok so i took it to Mityon, i explained but maybe it was lost in translation as they did a 100 baht service, no idea what they did. Anyway it's happened again just now.

So after searching on google people seem to suggest:

1) new battery required

2) Faulty side stand

3) Faulty kill switch (although there isn't one so that's out).

What's the latest thinking on the cause?

What's the thai word for stalling?

20 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

What's the latest thinking on the cause?

Engine overheat because there's no oil after a valve failed. It'll start 20 mins later because the engine has cooled down a bit. 125i has overheat cutout, which usually comes on when you aren't moving, as the air cooling has gone.

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

2) Faulty side stand

3) Faulty kill switch (although there isn't one so that's out).

lots of these scooters have a kill switch built into the side stand  and ( often) the front brake lever needs to be engaged to start the engine...  does it always happen just after a turn..maybe turning the same way ?  could be a trapped/worn wire in the wiring loom.

Just now, BritManToo said:

Engine overheat because there's no oil after a valve failed.

if it lost all/most of the oil ( or failed valve) you would notice a very  pronounced drop in performance...similar to when the tyres are almost flat slow and "sticky"  , the shop should have noticed if there was very little oil and hopefully said something...but T.I.T

14 minutes ago, johng said:

if it lost all/most of the oil ( or failed valve) you would notice a very  pronounced drop in performance...similar to when the tyres are almost flat slow and "sticky"  , the shop should have noticed if there was very little oil and hopefully said something...but T.I.T

Having done this to my own Click I can definitely say ........

The only noticeable loss in performance is when the engine finally seizes.

The garage I took mine to, didn't notice the lack of oil.

It costs around 6,000bht for the rebuild.

25 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Engine overheat because there's no oil after a valve failed. It'll start 20 mins later because the engine has cooled down a bit. 125i has overheat cutout, which usually comes on when you aren't moving, as the air cooling has gone.

I got an oil change this morning anyway as it was due the 12k change soon, but it stalled after so not that problem i guess.

I just took it back to Mityon, guy seemed to understand this time, noticed the revs were too low, said he made an adjustment, ok on the way back but doesn't mean the problem has gone. As the issue is daily now i should know if its fixed or not in a day or two

41 minutes ago, johng said:

lots of these scooters have a kill switch built into the side stand  and ( often) the front brake lever needs to be engaged to start the engine...  does it always happen just after a turn..maybe turning the same way ?  could be a trapped/worn wire in the wiring loom.

today it stalled whilst reversing out of parking, also when going down Buakhao. Not turning right this time, which is perhaps coincidentally the most common situation

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Mechanic made an adjustment so the revs were higher yesterday, what would he have adjusted?

According to Google the bikes have a screw on the throttle body which adjusts the idle speed, but i couldn't find a video or pictures showing this in detail.

Honda Click 125i 2017 keeps stalling ;

We have a Yamaha , Had sort of similar problem on and off I decided to check it when it stopped one day and I found that the Electronic Ignition Coil was Breaking down . I put a new one in and Presto hasn't stalled or stopped in 5 years . 

Starting problems and stalling problems could be an indication that valve lash is off. As valves wear the valve clearance reduces slowly and eventually they dont close fully anymore . The result is lack of compression with the observed symptoms. Take the bike to a good mechanic (few thai 'technicians' understand this , less know how to adjust valve lash, which btw must be done every 4000 km) to check this very important adjustment. It might solve all problems.  Honda bikes are generally quite bulletproof but they still require occasional maintenance, a word that does not seem to exist in Thai.....

First, change the plug and HT lead. They're usually the problem.

Secondary possibilities include a dodgy fuel pump (not unheard of on 125 Hondas although most people don't even realise they have fuel pumps.), dirt in the tank, the regulator failing (a common fault on all Honda bikes), or as mentioned before, the side stand switch, which often causes problems as it gets bunged up with dirt, water and oil. A duff battery can also produce some odd effects.

After that it gets tricky with things like a wire intermittently earthing or the coil breaking down. Both tricky to diagnose.

If it generally runs OK, I'd concentrate more on the plug/HT lead, the battery, regulator, fuel pump and coil in that order. All of these break down slowly and often are worse once warm.

In Pattaya, I no longer service my bikes at Mityon, they sell them have an monopoly but when it comes to service they are pretty much getting out of the business, unless you take it to their service location on Pattaya Tai near the Big C. 

Even when they did service they only change the oil and check off the boxes barely even adjusting your brakes etc.  I use to have to tell the guy at 20,000 KM to do the major changes as noted under the seat.

I change my oil every 4-5,000 KM, no reason you shouldn't it is cheap since I put in 10,000 plus a year I have Honda click 2007 Carb with 80,000 KM, still runs like new.

Many of the service people at Mityon are just out of school and have no experience. The last 8 years I take my bike to Sukhumvit Soi 53 left hand side which is just after Pattaya Klang, they are the major supplier of parts they have it all. There are a number of mechanics there very good and experience limit English, but the owner son and daughter run the cashier and counter inside and they speak English speak to him and explain the problem you are having the mechanic will take it for a ride instead of putting it on the kickstand.

The older mechanic he has his reading glasses on his head or wearing this guy is top notch. Depending on service I give the old guy a tip 20 to a 100 baht each time he sees me he gets my bike service right away, checks and everything just for an old change.

9 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Mechanic made an adjustment so the revs were higher yesterday, what would he have adjusted?

The throttle stop adjustment is found under the bottom of the seat storage bin. There's a rubber bung in the floor and you'll find it underneath.

If the idle revs are too low the engine will stall. Turn clockwise to increase revs.

So, after reading through the thread, it's quite a simple solution.  Change the sparkplug, repair the valves and add more oil, replace the side stand and/or kill switches - whether it has them or not, check for worn wires in the loom, adjust the revs, replace the ignition coil, adjust the valve lash, and replace the HT lead and fuel pump.  If all that fails, convert it from fuel injection to carburetion and twiddle with the idle screw.

9 hours ago, Moonlover said:

The throttle stop adjustment is found under the bottom of the seat storage bin. There's a rubber bung in the floor and you'll find it underneath.

If the idle revs are too low the engine will stall. Turn clockwise to increase revs.

The bike was much healthier yesterday after the mechanic made this adjustment, potentially that's fixed the problem but we shall see.

Mityon did manage to screw up my hand brake though which doesn't work post service. I'll take it back today.

Many people giving good advice and all the possible causes but most missed this simple change to idle revs

On 12/8/2019 at 8:22 PM, thailand49 said:

In Pattaya, I no longer service my bikes at Mityon, they sell them have an monopoly but when it comes to service they are pretty much getting out of the business, unless you take it to their service location on Pattaya Tai near the Big C. 

Even when they did service they only change the oil and check off the boxes barely even adjusting your brakes etc.  I use to have to tell the guy at 20,000 KM to do the major changes as noted under the seat.

I change my oil every 4-5,000 KM, no reason you shouldn't it is cheap since I put in 10,000 plus a year I have Honda click 2007 Carb with 80,000 KM, still runs like new.

Many of the service people at Mityon are just out of school and have no experience. The last 8 years I take my bike to Sukhumvit Soi 53 left hand side which is just after Pattaya Klang, they are the major supplier of parts they have it all. There are a number of mechanics there very good and experience limit English, but the owner son and daughter run the cashier and counter inside and they speak English speak to him and explain the problem you are having the mechanic will take it for a ride instead of putting it on the kickstand.

The older mechanic he has his reading glasses on his head or wearing this guy is top notch. Depending on service I give the old guy a tip 20 to a 100 baht each time he sees me he gets my bike service right away, checks and everything just for an old change.

I can't see which one you are referring to on Soi 53?

Screenshot_20191210-144109.png

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I can't see which one you are referring to on Soi 53?

Screenshot_20191210-144109.png

My mistake, I always get 53 on my mind since I use it all day long.  It is actually further down Sukhumvit, past the police box, traffic light police box is top of Pattaya Klang, once pass that you should start looking on your left. You will past a filling station for LPG? you might see one of those air people balloon waving you into the location it is Soi 55! if you get to the Bus station / 7/11 you just past it look back.

Sorry!  all work done and parts they always give you a print out for your receipt. Pretty much all the independent shops in this area get their parts from them. They don't do modification just straight up service don't even repair flats for wheels without tubes.

Good luck,

Archived