BANGKOK
bermondburi

Guitars?

Kids want to learn how to play. I've had a look on Lazada to get a feel for prices. Seems surprisingly cheap. Probably buy from a shop in the end. What would a fair price be for a first guitar? Where from? Shops in the mall etc? Any recommendations? 

Might help if you gave a general area for local knowledge ?

• Like 2

Prices would be fairly standard I would have thought. Not bothered about area, more concerned about types of guitar. I know nothing about them and what's good or not

• Like 1

I bought an electro-acoustic from a local store (Kanchanaburi) cost me 3,000 Baht, not the cheapest but not the most expensive by a long shot. Claims to be a Yamaha but I doubt it, sounds ok for a beginner and stays in tune.

Benefit of a physical shop is sometimes they will throw in spare strings, carry bag and a few plectrums.

Tip: Quick visual look down the neck look for any sign it is not straight. Hard to do with mail order.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bermondburi said:

Not bothered about area

As you are posting in general forum we have no way to know what part of Thailand you live for a specific shop recommendation.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

As you are posting in general forum we have no way to know what part of Thailand you live for a specific shop recommendation.  

I'm not looking for a shop recommendation, I'm looking for  guitar info and recommendation. 

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm guessing that shops would all have the same kind of stuff pretty much. 

6 minutes ago, Saltire said:

I bought an electro-acoustic from a local store (Kanchanaburi) cost me 3,000 Baht, not the cheapest but not the most expensive by a long shot. Claims to be a Yamaha but I doubt it, sounds ok for a beginner and stays in tune.

Benefit of a physical shop is sometimes they will throw in spare strings, carry bag and a few plectrums.

Tip: Quick visual look down the neck look for any sign it is not straight. Hard to do with mail order.

So would that be mid range then? 

11 minutes ago, bermondburi said:

Prices would be fairly standard I would have thought. Not bothered about area, more concerned about types of guitar. I know nothing about them and what's good or not

It's not all about price, the playabilty of the guitar should be a major concern to you, on many cheap acoustic guitars the strings may be fretted to high and your kids would struggle to play it and soon lose interest. Electric guitars are usually easier to play, but of course you may need an amp. Depending on their age you may be better getting them a 3/4 size guitar.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

It's not all about price, the playabilty of the guitar should be a major concern to you, on many cheap acoustic guitars the strings may be fretted to high and your kids would struggle to play it and soon lose interest. Electric guitars are usually easier to play, but of course you may need an amp. Depending on their age you may be better getting them a 3/4 size guitar.

What does fretted too high mean? 

Probably going more towards acoustic because quieter, but why are electric easier? 

Don't  think size will matter as they're 12+13 and quite big. 

Just now, bermondburi said:

What does fretted too high mean? 

Probably going more towards acoustic because quieter, but why are electric easier? 

Don't  think size will matter as they're 12+13 and quite big. 

The gap between the frets and the strings may be too great for them to press down with their fingers.

Electric are usually easier because there is normally a smaller distance between fret and strings, also on an acoustic the strings will almost certainly be thicker making it harder to press the strings.

You could turn the volume down on the amp if you want it to be quieter, of course when you go out the volume will go up. But having said that there are some small amps out there especially made for practice.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bermondburi said:

So would that be mid range then? 

I would say the start of mid-range. An electro-accoustic like mine can be played on its own as purely acoustic, or electrified through an amplifier.

I agree with the other poster electric is easier to learn, and should add, an amplifier with a headphone socket would be preferable 🙂 - for you.

Whatever you choose they will still have to go through the bleeding fingers on their left hand, until they get the calouses needed. If they get past the pain barrier, they are winners.

On another note, my village high school here is very big on music. They have many types of school bands and I have seen at Wan Dek concert up to 20 playing guitars. School supplies them for home practice. I hear many kids practicing as I go on my daily walks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Don Chance said:

God no, don't get an electric. You should get a Spanish style nylon string. This will be much easier to play and more importantly, quieter.

Nylon strings yes !  then when the finger tips can beef up so to speak then have a acoustic to hand ... my 1st guitar was a di georgeo spanish job and hell i should never have sold it to move on to an ovation  which has never gone up in value in a second hand trade in value and just yesterday i saw a beauty of an old di georgio on e.bay for 30 times its original value.

Edited by Liverpudlian
  • Like 1

Bang Na Ikea has a mall where i got My bass and electric guitar.

Seeems like most of the Thai shops don't want you to touch the instruments... Hard to pick one if you cant hold it and get a feel for it.

Anyway,    They were cool with me firing it up and checking the pots and knobs were a-ok,   

Got an Epiphone guitar and a Magna Bass and stands and cables.

Different culture here,   Back in the states you grab the guitar off the rack and start playing.... 

• Like 1

First, if the kids are under 12 years old, they generally don't have the manual strength to manage a guitar. Even a half size instrument is hard to work and becomes a discouragement. Under 12 I recommend a ukulele. Much less expensive, much more fun for little ones.

• Like 1