Is your guesthouse spying on you?

I figured out the small guesthouse, run by the two daughter, actually  spy on the guest's on a regular basis. Not surprising they are not married nor have boyfriends.  They replay the cctv cams all the time and watch what people do when they are not around or a night when they come in late.

Actually the seem to stay out of site a lot and just watch people on their phone. They will sit in the extra room and watch people when they come to the desk when they find nobody is around. They will just wait and watch.

They also have some kind of proxy so they record all the web sites guests visit. I looked behind the computer one time and there was lists of sites, she acted really bothered that i was looking at the screen. Needless to say i stopped staying there.  I wonder how common these snooping is in Thailand?

Totally normal that their server system can see what their Internet connection is beeing used for. That´s nothing unusual.

Regarding other things, you should be happy that they have a security system and bother to look at it. 

"News Flash!!!"  The whole damn world is trying to spy on you...government agencies...social media...and law enforcement...and even some hotels and guesthouses...best to figure they all do!

There is no place to hide or run if you use a computer or cell phone...the deck is stacked against you...do not communicate illegal activity over these devices...

When your device seems to be taking a break...it could be some agency downloading spy software or trying to extract your private info...

Do not completely trust these devices...VPNs may help but are also suspect.

Not a biggie, sounds like they're interested in security, unless that is they have in-house cameras watching folk bashin the ole bishop... then again guess some would be up for that... depending on what they looks like of course. ????

Did you say you have pictures?

2 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

"News Flash!!!"  The whole damn world is trying to spy on you...government agencies...social media...and law enforcement...and even some hotels and guesthouses...best to figure they all do!

There is no place to hide or run if you use a computer or cell phone...the deck is stacked against you...do not communicate illegal activity over these devices...

When your device seems to be taking a break...it could be some agency downloading spy software or trying to extract your private info...

Do not completely trust these devices...VPNs may help but are also suspect.

you forgot the smart TV's which spy on you as well

13 hours ago, Don Chance said:

actually  spy on the guest's on a regular basis. 

13 hours ago, Don Chance said:

They replay the cctv cams all the time and watch what people do when they are not around or a night when they come in late.

Am sure for a few hundred baht you can get a copy for your personal archives ????

Sounds to me like the "two daughters" may be pervs or voyeurs. Maybe they have no need for "husbands or boyfriends".

This story has many holes. Not really enough known to know what their game is.

As long as they don't have cameras in the rooms I don't see an issue. If you don't like them monitoring their internet them use your mobile.

I'm guessing this is Pattaya too. So that goes double.

You don't think this goes on in every western hotel etc??

sounds like the girls in question simply have too much time on their hands, something that could equally be said of the OP.

i'm no IT expert but from the warnings i get when i join public networks i'd assume it's pretty easy for the network administrator to know what you're doing, this applies the world over. if you want privacy don't join such networks or take other precautions, as the thai's like to say, up to you.

20 hours ago, ukrules said:

Always use a VPN on a network that you don't control. Make sure that you do control the VPN - this is where most people fail. If it's not your own VPN server then who's is it?

Yes, VPN, good idea. But even VPN’s aren’t perfect. You may like to check that- so, after your VPN’s running, run www.dnsleaktest.com which will double check the IP that your VPN assigned you. Obviously, the IP result should match your VPN’s. If not, some monkey business is going on.

10 hours ago, Chazar said:

Theyre  following govt orders to report foreigners  who fart in elevators and other heinous  crimes

OMG, I do not want to see the CCTV footage of a fart that shows, I've had to clean a few though.

23 hours ago, Don Chance said:

I figured out the small guesthouse, run by the two daughter, actually  spy on the guest's on a regular basis. Not surprising they are not married nor have boyfriends.  They replay the cctv cams all the time and watch what people do when they are not around or a night when they come in late.

Actually the seem to stay out of site a lot and just watch people on their phone. They will sit in the extra room and watch people when they come to the desk when they find nobody is around. They will just wait and watch.

They also have some kind of proxy so they record all the web sites guests visit. I looked behind the computer one time and there was lists of sites, she acted really bothered that i was looking at the screen. Needless to say i stopped staying there.  I wonder how common these snooping is in Thailand?

"Not surprising they are not married nor have boyfriends". 

That has some relevance to something or you're just sniping at them?

"They replay the cctv cams all the time and watch what people do when they are not around..."

That's the whole point of CCTV!  What are you doing that's of such great concern to you?

"Actually the seem to stay out of site a lot and just watch people on their phone.  They will sit in the extra room and watch people when they come to the desk when they find nobody is around".

How would you know that if they are out of sight?  How do you know what they look at on their phones if you're not snooping on them and what has it got to do with you?

Archived