Christmas Eve/Day dinner in southern Phuket (2019)

oldcpu

I am looking for a place to go for a Christmas dinner - either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, in southern Phuket.  Hence I am looking for suggestions. 

I have researched this a bit (as noted below) but I would be happy to learn of other less expensive options for a 'traditional' Christmas meal (Canadian or American or English style meal).

I am new to Phuket (only been here since May this year) and I live in far south of Phuket (Kao Khad beach area) and hence I prefer a place in either Cape Panwa area, Rawaii, Chalong, or Phuket Town. Outside possibilities would be Kata or Karon but no further north.  My research suggests that eliminates about 80% of the possible places to go to.  Places I have considered are:

• AoYon Beach - Cove Restaurant - Christmas Eve/Day (?) - about 1900 THB/person
  • Panwa Pullman Hotel - Christmas Eve - about 1500++ THB/person, but unclear to me if that includes a meal or if it is just a celebration
  • Panwa Area, Crown Plaza Hotel  - Christmas Eve - about 1990 THB/person
  • Chalong, Greenman Pub, - Christmas Eve/Day - about 2150 THB/person
  • Rawaii - Fresco Kitchen and Deli - Christmas Eve about 1990 THB/person
  • Rawaii - Serenity Report - Christmas Eve - 2200 THB/person
  • Kata Rocks - Christmas Eve (?) - 3600 THB/person
  • Kata - Two Chefs - Christmas Eve - 1250 THB/person (two sittings one at 6pm and one at 9pm)
  • Kata Noi - Implana Private Villas - Christmas Eve - 5,990++ THB/couple
  • SIS Kata - Christmas Day buffet (6pm-10pm) - 850 THB/person
  • Karon Novotel - Joe Kool's Poolside Restaurant - Christmas Eve - 2,999 THB/person
  • Karon, Hilton Arcadia Resort - Christmas Eve - 2800++ THB/person
  • Karon, Movenpick, El Gauche - Christmas Eve - 1599 THB/person, or 3,098 THB/person or 3,999 THB/person (menu dependent)

I have not yet found places in Phuket Town, although I suspect there must be. Plus there are many other hotels in the AoYon / Panwa area, and I have not yet learned of their offerings.

Of course one could go for a Thai meal (less than 100 THB) but for a Christmas celebration meal, I am looking for a bit more.

Hence additions/suggestions to add to this thread would be of most interest.  My understanding is one must also reserve early, in order to reserve a spot, as historically seatings fill up fast. 

Again, I am curious about Southern Phuket.

2 hours ago, pagallim said:

This could be an alternative for you.   There is also The Islander in Rawai, though I haven't seen their menu yet.

Thanks.  That has a very reasonable price (at 900 THB) compared to most other places. 

I am 'relatively' new to Phuket, and my understanding is this Phuket Yacht Club is the one just north of Phuket Town, and not to be confused with the Royal Phuket Yacht Club hotel restaurants which are in Nai Harn Bay area.  If I am correct, that is a bit further than I prefer to go, although I think traffic should be light on Christmas Day.

I'll also look into The Islander in Rawai for a Christmas Eve (or Christmas Day) dinner.  I have not been there before, and its always good to learn of a new Sports Bar.

25 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Thanks.  That has a very reasonable price (at 900 THB) compared to most other places. 

I am 'relatively' new to Phuket, and my understanding is this Phuket Yacht Club is the one just north of Phuket Town, and not to be confused with the Royal Phuket Yacht Club hotel restaurants which are in Nai Harn Bay area.  If I am correct, that is a bit further than I prefer to go, although I think traffic should be light on Christmas Day.

I'll also look into The Islander in Rawai for a Christmas Eve (or Christmas Day) dinner.  I have not been there before, and its always good to learn of a new Sports Bar.

The soi to Phuket Yacht Club is just off Chaofa East, nearly opposite Wine Connection, approximately 1 km north of Chalong Circle.   So no, not north of Phuket Town (think you are confusing club with marinas).   You can see Khao Khad from the club.

On 12/8/2019 at 1:16 PM, madmitch said:

O'Tools in Karon always have a Christmas lunch

https://otools-phuket.com/christmas-lunch-dinner-2019/

Thanks ... that is also good to know of.  Karon is a bit far from my place close to Cape Panwa, but Christmas lunch at O'Tools does look to be interesting. 

I am tempted (in next few days) to visit some of the restaurants in Cape Panwa area, and Ao Yon beach / KaoKhad beach area and see if any have Christmas Eve or Christmas Day traditional western meal sets planned.

32 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Thanks ... that is also good to know of.  Karon is a bit far from my place close to Cape Panwa, but Christmas lunch at O'Tools does look to be interesting. 

I am tempted (in next few days) to visit some of the restaurants in Cape Panwa area, and Ao Yon beach / KaoKhad beach area and see if any have Christmas Eve or Christmas Day traditional western meal sets planned.

Please report back regarding what you find in the Panwa area. Thank you.

In panwa can try to visit Pullman Panwa hotel, they will have a nice Christmas Day Brunch with a pool party. Just 600-700 THB per pax, have griled sea food and plenty European dishes. We usually go there for Sunday brunch. Highly recommended 

@oldcpu

The Green Man has a new chef and it looks like they've upped their game!

https://www.greenmanphuket.com/annual-events/christmas-celebrations/

????

.......................just noticed that you'd seen the Green Man.

Never mind.

Thank you for the list.

We're still looking for somewhere for Christmas Day lunchtime.

There are a lot of places that are doing Christmas Eve but I don't understand. Surely Christmas Day is what it's all about?

There doesn't seem to be somewhere that's cheap and cheerful without being a sports bar, which is normally fine but maybe not on Christmas Day.

I checked most of the restaurants just prior to the Cape Panwa boardwalk (ie on highway 429) and also the restaurants along the Cape Panwa boardwalk (on the way to the Aquarium) - None of them have a Christmas special.  Most did not know what was typically included in such.  I confess thou, the one place I did not check was Tree Top Bar and restaurant, which while having a rather slight possibility (that it would offer such) is probably the most likely of the restaurants (along the hwy-429 'strip' of a half dozen restaurants) to have such.

A couple of the hotel restaurants, along the Kao Khad Beach (which is in walking distance from where I live) have a Christmas Eve spread planned.  For example, "My Beach" has a Christmas Eve dinner for 1900-baht/adult (and 950-baht/child).  

my-beach-menu-xmas-02s.jpg

my-beach-xmas-01s.jpg

Also, Andacura Panwa (on Khao Khad road and also within walking distance of where I live) also has a Christmas Eve spread at 2300 baht/couple ... (before tax - around 2450 baht after tax ). 

andacura-panwa-01.jpg

andacura-panwa-menu-02.jpg

6 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Also, Andacura Panwa (on Khao Khad road and also within walking distance of where I live) also has a Christmas Eve spread at 2300 baht/couple ... (before tax - around 2450 baht after tax ). 

andacura-panwa-01.jpg

andacura-panwa-menu-02.jpg

I appreciate your efforts.

Thank you!

Archived