Parents call for answers after newborn’s finger cut at government hospital, starts to rot

rooster59

Parents call for answers after newborn’s finger cut at government hospital, starts to rot

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1575711549_1-org.jpg

The little finger on baby Phakawadee's left hand was but while the bandage for a saline drip was being removed, say the parents. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: The parents of a two-moth old baby girl have filed a formal complaint with the Phuket Provincial Damrongdhama Centre (Ombudsman’s Office) over a nurse at Vachira Phuket Hospital allegedly – albeit accidentally – snipping one of their baby’s fingers with a pair of scissors, leading to the end of the baby’s finger starting to rot.

The parents – father Stawut Charnkol, 34, and mother Oranuch Thongdee, 24 – filed the complaint at the provincial ombudsman’s Office at Phuket Provincial Hall yesterday (Dec 6).

Mr Stawut explained that their daughter, Phakawadee, was born at he hospital on Sept 5.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/parents-call-for-answers-after-newborn-finger-cut-at-government-hospital-starts-to-rot-73915.php#3qAd7DBRdJiMpEtO.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-12-08

9 hours ago, Matzzon said:

A nurse not allowing family members to be present when removing a drip??? Something really stinks here. (I don´t mean the finger)

Normally when any treatment, dressing changing or something similar medical practice takes place relatives/visitors are asked to leave the area to ensure no contamination takes place from outside sources.

As far as "the finger starting to rot" I think is a bit extreme... maybe a slight infection is what was meant.
Rotting would mean the wound was not properly treated or dressed and not checked periodically to ensure correct healing?

9 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Normally when any treatment, dressing changing or something similar medical practice takes place relatives/visitors are asked to leave the area to ensure no contamination takes place from outside sources.

As far as "the finger starting to rot" I think is a bit extreme... maybe a slight infection is what was meant.
Rotting would mean the wound was not properly treated or dressed and not checked periodically to ensure correct healing?

When our Son was 4 months old he suffered a Urinary Tract infection.

We were present at every stage of treatment (insertion of IV drips to administer antibiotics) this was primary as a calming measure for our child.

IF a medical procedure requires such a degree of sanity it will take place in a surgery (with only those scrubbed in allowed to be present).

Changing a dressing or removing a 'drip' does not require such a degree of sanitation, as such asking the parents not to be present is highly questionable a best but really, highly suspect. 

Snipping off the end of a baby's finger when cutting off the bandage which holds the drip in place (which is what I assume they mean) is 'extreme negligence' on behalf of the nurse, it is also possible that the hospital is also negligent for not adequately training the nurse.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Ok, might be different in your world. I´ve had two children in hospitals and born in Thai hospitals, and never ever had a nurse asking anybody to leave when removing a drip.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Snipping off the end of a baby's finger when cutting off the bandage which holds the drip in place (which is what I assume they mean) is 'extreme negligence' on behalf of the nurse, it is also possible that the hospital is also negligent for not adequately training the nurse.

Where was it reported that the end of the baby's finger was severed?

18 minutes ago, Just Weird said:
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Where was it reported that the end of the baby's finger was severed?

Edited 16 minutes ago by Just Weird

Good point - a miss-read on my part - The end of the finger was 'snipped' not necessarily snipped off.

Regardless, snipping a babies finger while removing a bandage is still potentially Gross Negligence. 

snipping one of their baby’s fingers with a pair of scissors, leading to the end of the baby’s finger starting to rot.

Archived