BANGKOK
rooster59

Motorists asked to ‘drive carefully’ as concrete sheets fall from Chalong Underpass walls

Motorists asked to ‘drive carefully’ as concrete sheets fall from Chalong Underpass walls

1575715382_1-org.jpg

One of the concrete ‘sound absorbing’ panels falling from the wall of the Chalong Underpass yesterday (Dec 6) nearly hit a car driving through. Screengrab: Courtesy of ‘Brian from Nai Harn’

PHUKET: The chief of the Phuket Highways Office has urged motorists to “drive carefully” while passing through the Chalong Underpass for the next two weeks until a contractor can be called in to prevent more concrete sheets from plunging off the walls into traffic.

The issue was brought to The Phuket News’ attention by an expat who was driving northbound through the tunnel at about 4:48pm yesterday when one of the concrete sheets fixed to the wall fell and shattered on the road right in front of his car.

The incident was recorded by the car’s dashcam.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/motorists-asked-to-drive-carefully-as-concrete-sheets-fall-from-chalong-underpass-walls-73917.php#kKXDDprUk8beeCu2.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-12-08
  • Haha 1

It's been pretty cold lately for Thailand up north. I wonder what the weather is doing to materials. I had bathroom tiles fall off a couple years ago during a cold spell. This year no problems with them. I guess it's not due to temperatures there but this story reminded me of that.

Thai quality tradesmen - they never cease to amaze. 

Nor do the bureacrats with their 'advice' to be happy.

Unbelievable - just unbelievable - but so common.

When. That is all I want to know. When. 

• Like 1

I would be very concerned if I was driving in the tunnel.typical thai work again it seems falling off allready

If you look at the picture it can be seen the panel came from up high off camera.  With a weight of 15 to 20 kilograms falling 3 or 4 metres that would put a dint in someones car....worse it could cause a knee jerk reaction and a panicked driver steers into oncoming traffic!   No, it's not a big deal to some government official but it sure is to the people using it!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

The chief of the Phuket Highways Office has urged motorists to “drive carefully” while passing through the Chalong Underpass for the next two weeks until a contractor can be called in to prevent more concrete sheets from plunging off the walls into traffic.

Once again the 'low bidder' has ignored quality and safety measures, and perhaps paid off the inspection staff,  to enhance his profits.  The underpass should be immediately shut down until proper repairs are made.

One must drive carefully at all times on every street, road, highway and byway in the country!

How many pile ups will now happen with drivers looking at the walls instead of the traffic, close it down.

My wife drove through there about 6-30 pm they cleared it away pretty quick she said she didnt see anything until I showed her the video here