Chilling – literally – by the lake

rooster59

Chilling – literally – by the lake

By The Nation

800_6fc2107ad869a28.png

Tourists flocked to Kwan Phayao Lake in Phayao Province on Saturday (December 7) to take advantage of the cold weather and admire the natural surroundings

Kwan Phayao – the word “Kwan” means means “lake” or “large swamp” in the northern Thai language is shaped like a half-circle, and is the largest freshwater lake in the northern region and the fourth largest in the country. It is 1.5 metres deep, and covers an area of about 1,980 hectares.

Screenshot_25621207_094657.png

Some 50 species of fish are found in the lake, Phayao is about 691 kilometres from Bangkok and covers an area of 6,335 square kilometres. Temperatures is the area are currently hovering around 10 degrees Celsius.

Screenshot_25621207_094719.png

Screenshot_25621207_094728.png

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/travel/30379189

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-12-08

Darn, 6 @ 6 (degrees C and o'clock) in the northeastern outskirts of the city, that's just nasty ... would be freezin' me firm butt off at 12C inside without a decent heater.

Coldest I came across at 'standard elevation' in like 35 years in this country ... yesterdays max was 21C in permanent shade. 

2 hours ago, topt said:

Is this a misprint? :unsure:

Kwan Phayao – the word “Kwan” means means “lake” or “large swamp” in the northern Thai language is shaped like a half-circle, and is the largest freshwater lake in the northern region and the fourth largest in the country. It is 1.5 metres deep, and covers an area of about 1,980 hectares.

4 minutes ago, Randell said:

Why are you re-quoting part of the original OP back to me (including the part I was querying)?

2 hours ago, jollyhangmon said:

Nope, pretty much correct, maybe like 2m in some places ... fairly flat terrain and the lake is an artificial one I was told ... 

On the western side it is deeper in places. In 2016 when the lake was low due to drought they excavated the bottom of the lake so it would retain more water. One area  near our village was about 150 metres long,  about 3 metres deep and  50 metres wide The excavated dirt was used to back fill from the road which runs along the lake back into the lake. 

8 hours ago, villagefarang said:

Our local reservoir was letting of steam, it was so cold.

134157243_sunrise-1.jpeg.87a2c8a68c3abbbcf5d071c6fb2d0d5a.jpeg

Steam!!! Why steam fog rises from ponds in the morning. ... Water evaporates from the pond's surface into this thin layer. The thin, warm, moist layer of air over the pond then mixes with the cooler air from the land. As it cools, condensation occurs and a fog forms, hahaha

6 hours ago, Elkski said:

10 c cold??? So funny

If sunny and no wind, low humidity 10c can feel great?  Especially in the spring after a cold winter.   18 for a high is nice.  

I was at a pool party in the Philippines years ago and it came up a bit "chilly", the locals were wrapping themselves in towels or leaving early and I said to a guy I was sitting next to... "they don't know what cold is"... Then I realised that I (an Australian) was talking to a Canadian.

So suppose it's all relative.

Back in my very much younger day in Saskatchewan I had an apartment with old style steam radiators. My cat at the time had the sense to drag a small bit of carpet from the front door up on the rad so it could sleep with out getting burned. Very clever indeed, the down side was the carpet was usually quite dirty from use and always made a mess I till she trained me to getting her her own piece of carpet. 555  At 5.30 am in was 6 degrees this morning I think we must be setting records.

Archived