Unhealthy air quality

Misab

What is the reason for the very unhealthy air quality in Hua Hin?
Today, Sunday December 8th at 7.30 in the morning we are back on (aqi 161) which is red alert / very unhealthy and where it is recommended to wear a mask.

19 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

No obvious reason to find.

But of course air quality can differ much from neighborhood to neighborhood.

Do you do your own measurement?

Yes I do, anyone can download an app an check air pollution, for me I have servere COPD and this is very unhealthy. I have to wear mask

13 minutes ago, Misab said:

Yes I do, anyone can download an app an check air pollution, for me I have servere COPD and this is very unhealthy. I have to wear mask

When he asked if you do any measures yourselves, I doubt he asked if you used an app to check the quality. 

I also doubt the air in Hua Hin is so bad several apps shows, as they often is worse than Bangkok. 

3 hours ago, Tagged said:

When he asked if you do any measures yourselves, I doubt he asked if you used an app to check the quality. 

Indeed. I wanted to know whether one has a measurement device (as available).

Internet data about Hua Hin are rare.

There is just one site with two measurement stations that I found.

8 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Indeed. I wanted to know whether one has a measurement device (as available).

Internet data about Hua Hin are rare.

There is just one site with two measurement stations that I found.

The app I use is called "Air Quality" it can be set to find your location, and yes it has Hua Hin.

At the moment (Monday 9th of December at 18.00) it has fallen to 88 which is a little high but acceptable

11 minutes ago, Misab said:

The app I use is called "Air Quality" it can be set to find your location, and yes it has Hua Hin.

At the moment (Monday 9th of December at 18.00) it has fallen to 88 which is a little high but acceptable

Where does it get its data from, and 88 from what? Particles? Sea wapor? Or toxic pollution? 

14 hours ago, Tagged said:

Where does it get its data from, and 88 from what? Particles? Sea wapor? Or toxic pollution? 

There is a difference depending on using apps from  “Air Quality” or apps from  “Airvisual ”

Today Tuesday 10th of December 8 AM in Hua Hin

Air Quality shows aqi 152

Airvisual shows aqi 119

Why the difference? Is it because of different methods?  I don’t know. Could it be how often they update the apps?   Airvisual say they update every 5 minutes. I don’t know how often air quality update.

I have no idea which apps is correct but I do know that any numbers of aqi above 100 are unhealthy for our lungs, and all the garbage burning in Hua Hin area might be the main course.

According to Google:

The AQI measures five criteria air pollutants (particulate matter, sulfur dioxide, carbon monoxide, nitrogen dioxide, and ozone), and converts the measured pollutant concentrations in a community's air to a number on a scale of 0 to 500.

According to source:  https://scijinks.gov/air-quality/

“Instruments on the ground and satellites orbiting Earth collect information about what is in our air. For example, satellites in NOAA’s GOES-R (short for Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellites-R) Series monitor the particle pollution in our atmosphere.

The Joint Polar Satellite System (JPSS) also collects information about particles in our air. These particles include smoke particles from wildfires; airborne dust during dust and sand storms; urban and industrial pollution; and ash from erupting volcanoes. Ground level ozone can also be measured by the JPSS series of satellites.

GOES-R Series satellites can provide particle pollution measurements approximately every five minutes during the day. JPSS satellites can provide a higher resolution measurement of aerosols over the entire planet once a day. JPSS can also observe the movement of aerosols from one side of the planet to the other. JPSS can also measure carbon monoxide which is associated with poor air quality resulting from wildfires.”

"

There is a difference depending on using apps from  “Air Quality” or apps from  “Airvisual ”

Today Tuesday 10th of December 8 AM in Hua Hin

Air Quality shows aqi 152

Airvisual shows aqi 119"

Well that was at 8 AM. Now at 9.20 AM they both show 145

apparently there are fires around, Phetchaburi at the time of this post has AQI of over 250

https://www.airvisual.com/air-quality-map?lat=12.8&lng=99.96667&zoomLevel=10

in Cha-am, it was over 160 most of the day and you can see the pollution in the air when looking less than 200 meters away.

I've been living here for years and never seen the AQI so high around here except when they blow the mosquito mist in the sewers for a minutes (my meter went to 500 for that)

I was down in HH December of last year, with a meter. It was, in fact, 161 on one of the days I was there. The few days I was there were quite bad, air quality wise. The beach was 140 one day.

From up on the hill (I forget the name of the place), you could easily see the haze. I was quite surprised as Hua Him is often touted as having fresh air.

Statistics need to be qualified to have any meaning. Hua Hin is a small town, and I suspect readings are taken at maybe 1 or 2 stations located in the town centre, possibly close to the 2 central main traffic junctions. I live in Hua Hin at the weekends, 3 k due west of the Airport before the hills. I can't wait to step out of the car coming from Bangkok, and to breath the clear, fresh, scented air around my neighbourhood. Indeed, recently I've noticed on several occasions being able to see far more stars at night than I've ever seen before.

According to Airvisual, the air quality level in Cha Am right now is 157, higher than Bangkok, Chiang Mai and even Dehli. The PM 2.5 count of more than double the recommended limit at 66.2 µg/m³.

And to think my family and I moved here for the fresh sea breezes and healthy air!

What is causing this awful pollution of coastal resorts - the increase in visitor and local traffic, or possibly the NE winds fanning bad air at us from the factories south of Bangkok?

Baffling and worrying.

On 12/8/2019 at 8:10 AM, lopburi3 said:

Extra fires pollution to keep warm perhaps?  We are in the 150 range here in Bangkok so not just Hua Hin.  

Yes that's what seems to be happening around Jomtien area..can smell the burning every morning when opening the bedroom door. :sick:

4 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

According to Airvisual, the air quality level in Cha Am right now is 157, higher than Bangkok, Chiang Mai and even Dehli. The PM 2.5 count of more than double the recommended limit at 66.2 µg/m³.

And to think my family and I moved here for the fresh sea breezes and healthy air!

What is causing this awful pollution of coastal resorts - the increase in visitor and local traffic, or possibly the NE winds fanning bad air at us from the factories south of Bangkok?

Baffling and worrying.

Yes I'm just NW of Chaam.

Lots of smog around the mountains.

Some of them barely visible 

I assume it's coming from Bangkok.

The only winds we seem to be having are from the NE.

Usually, in my experience, the winds start to change around this time and start coming over the mountains from Myanmar.

Doesn't seem to be happening this year.

Just wind from the Gulf bringing the smog and then it's getting trapped as they subside.

2 hours ago, Psychic said:

Yes I'm just NW of Chaam.

Lots of smog around the mountains.

Some of them barely visible 

I assume it's coming from Bangkok.

The only winds we seem to be having are from the NE.

Usually, in my experience, the winds start to change around this time and start coming over the mountains from Myanmar.

Doesn't seem to be happening this year.

Just wind from the Gulf bringing the smog and then it's getting trapped as they subside.

I suspect you are right, as there are a lot of polluting factories along the coast south of Big Mango. The readings tend to spike at weekends, presumably because of an influx of visitor traffic. The moon rose almost red the other night, a sign of a polluted troposphere.

Unfortunately, I think we have wait a while longer for the Southwest monsoon. 

All Thailand suffers from pollution around this time of year and it's gotten worse over the years with the burning season now being much longer than it was 10 years ago. Then the prevailing winds had much more influence on localized pollution.

Nowadays it isn't just localized Thai pollution. Prevailing winds bring it from all over Asia. Trumps reported noun relating to third world countries has become very apt.

On 12/13/2019 at 11:49 AM, Krataiboy said:

Baffling and worrying.

I can see the air pollution in Cha-am within 200 meters or so nowadays

back last week there were fires around hua hin and Phetchaburi so we get the fallout from that

otherwise it's the lack of rain mostly.

9 hours ago, kekalot said:

back last week there were fires around hua hin and Phetchaburi so we get the fallout from that

10 hours ago, kekalot said:

Have you noticed that pollution not only in Cha Am but also in Hua Hin goes up during the night.
I don't know if it's because they burn waste around night or it's from factories, but it's very unhealthy to breathe.

On 12/13/2019 at 9:47 AM, jkcjag said:

Statistics need to be qualified to have any meaning. Hua Hin is a small town, and I suspect readings are taken at maybe 1 or 2 stations located in the town centre, possibly close to the 2 central main traffic junctions. I live in Hua Hin at the weekends, 3 k due west of the Airport before the hills. I can't wait to step out of the car coming from Bangkok, and to breath the clear, fresh, scented air around my neighbourhood. Indeed, recently I've noticed on several occasions being able to see far more stars at night than I've ever seen before.

If you use "AirVisuel" you can see the readings are taken at 4 different places. They may vary a little but when it is bad, the all are up about 150 or above. My guess is burning

Archived