Health agency to ensure beer gardens comply with laws

rooster59

Health agency to ensure beer gardens comply with laws

By THE NATION

800_052a27356bf1c1f.jpg

Shopping malls and restaurants in Thailand that usually set up beer gardens to serve alcoholic beverages together with live music shows for those looking to party and count down to the new year will be closely monitored, the Health department chief said on Saturday (December 7).

Department of Health director-general Dr Panpimol Wipulakorn said that as the year draws to a close, the Department "is monitoring these beer gardens to make sure they comply with related health regulations, especially the Public Health Act BE 2535", she said.

“Entrepreneurs looking to set up booths selling foods with music performance in an area larger than 200 square metres must obtain a permit from the local administration office,” she said. “Furthermore, in cities with regulations limiting activities that may affect health type 9 (6), which covers music performance in public area, entrepreneurs must obtain permit for activities under type 9 (6) as well.”

Panpimol further added that beer gardens selling foods must comply with ministerial regulations regarding hygienic conditions under food-selling establishment BE 2561. “Violation of these regulations may result in confiscation of permit as well as a maximum Bt50,000 fine or six months imprisonment, or both.”

“Sellers of alcoholic beverages must also follow the regulations of the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act BE 2551,” she added. “The Department of Health would urge people to drink moderately and responsibly, as alcohol causes several health problems and is one of the major causes of road accidents.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30379183

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-12-08

12 minutes ago, nickstav said:

I don't believe any "food-selling establishment" in Thailand complies with hygienic regulations.

Your belief is as incorrect as your grammar. You probably have a very selective, western view of hygiene and little experience eating street food around the world. But anyway nobody is forcing you to eat Thai food in Thai establishments. You have a choice of deep fried Western junk food. Enjoy the NYE celebrations and have a happy and healthy new year.

52 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

All these beer gardens and food vendors might be blocking foot paths where people walk....How can Thailand hope to become a sterile place like  big brother Singapore if all this street vending is allowed? 

In Singapore people also sit on bridges while drinking/smoking/eating at night....and they don't even clean up their own mess....

4 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Your belief is as incorrect as your grammar. You probably have a very selective, western view of hygiene and little experience eating street food around the world. But anyway nobody is forcing you to eat Thai food in Thai establishments. You have a choice of deep fried Western junk food. Enjoy the NYE celebrations and have a happy and healthy new year.

????????????????????????

Sunnyboy....your one of these old expats that dont see things as others do.

Im sorry but Street Sellers of food are unhygienic.

I would never buy food from anyone if I cannot see where they wash their hands. Takes out maybe 99% of street food traders. That is not even contemplating eating right beside a busy road with all the fumes.

Cancer is the no 1 cause of death in Thailand....last i looked Lung Cancer was top of the list.

Food poisoning is the no 1 issue with Tourists. Please dont say im a Thailand hater....lived here on and off 3 years and love it. But come on....i know alot of people here now and all never ever touch street food.

5 hours ago, nickstav said:

I don't believe any "food-selling establishment" in Thailand complies with hygienic regulations.

I concur. Wife stopped at one of these small food restaurants this morning. The husband cooks; he uses the same knife for all ingredients, same chopping board. Wife gives him money ( no gloves worn by either) he takes the change out of his front apron and gives it to her. Then without washing his hands picks up noodles and puts them into cook, then sorts out salads. Wife hands out money, still not cleaning hands starts picking salad and putting it into bowls. As we leave there is a big slab of half frozen pork outside on a metal dish defrosting with the flies. I tell my wife what symptoms of food poisoning to look for in 6 hours time. If they are licensed, do they never get told about food hygiene by the authorities?

6 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Thai street food for me is a load of weeds with a lot of chilli, some overcooked noodles and a few different kinds of meat that you can't taste because of the chilli and fish sauce. Stuff fried in oil that could be a week old and looks like tar.

However if you enjoy it we'll just say we're different in what we like to eat.

PS I don't eat western fried junk food either.

From my observations of 'events' throughout Thailand, any event from a School Fair, Temple Fair, Beer Garden outside a shopping mall etc... they all have horrific wiring for their lights, often with straggly cables, some worn bare etc... 

I would like to see the electrical safety of such temporary installations becoming paramount - thus If one issue is to be taken care of, its this. 

Then of course next is the noise. 

Food is generally cooked fresh and consumed by many with little left over - thus not a primary concern in my book. 

38 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

From my observations of 'events' throughout Thailand, any event from a School Fair, Temple Fair, Beer Garden outside a shopping mall etc... they all have horrific wiring for their lights, often with straggly cables, some worn bare etc... 

I would like to see the electrical safety of such temporary installations becoming paramount - thus If one issue is to be taken care of, its this. 

Then of course next is the noise. 

Food is generally cooked fresh and consumed by many with little left over - thus not a primary concern in my book. 

Maybe cooked fresh but how long has it been hanging about in the heat before it's cooked?

10 hours ago, nickstav said:

Speaking of which, finished my meal yesterday evening at a local restaurant I frequent often and, as I was on my way to the loo, I saw a big RAT!! peering out of the kitchen door. The dishwasher also saw it but just smiled as it turned around and scurtied back into the kitchen! I shan't be dining there again...  ????

12 minutes ago, djayz said:

Speaking of which, finished my meal yesterday evening at a local restaurant I frequent often and, as I was on my way to the loo, I saw a big RAT!! peering out of the kitchen door. The dishwasher also saw it but just smiled as it turned around and scurtied back into the kitchen! I shan't be dining there again...  ????

The rat had just popped out to have a look at the person who had just eaten his brother.

1 hour ago, ThaidDown said:

The rat had just popped out to have a look at the person who had just eaten his brother.

Rats, or other filthy animals for that matter, in areas where food is stored or prepared is no laughing matter. As for his bother, I had the fish that evening... ????

Archived