Voltage too high?

zlodnick

Our local power supply was terrible 20-25 years ago. low voltage, frequent cuts for several hours, etc.  Over the years it's got much better. We had a steady 210- 230 v.  But, in the last year, the voltage has been going up.  240-260-280v, now we have a steady 300-320v.

I did a Google search and they say this can damage appliances. So far everything works ok.  Should I leave it be or do something about it?

Z

9 minutes ago, zlodnick said:

Over the years it's got much better. We had a steady 210- 230 v.  But, in the last year, the voltage has been going up.  240-260-280v, now we have a steady 300-320v.

I did a Google search and they say this can damage appliances. So far everything works ok.  Should I leave it be or do something about it?

The first thing to do immediately is check that your Voltage meter is working. If it is then first thing on Monday morning 8:30am you need to be at your local PEA/MEA office.

Yes it is serious, yes your appliances will be damaged, yes your light bulbs will blow or the life drastically shortened.

3 minutes ago, zlodnick said:

I just checked with my new multimeter, (1 year old), and got 290v.

Then I tried the old multimeter, (10 years old), and got 230v.

Looks like the new one is off?

Go to a different area and check the meters, it’s much more likely that the single meter is faulty than the power supply is actually as high as you show

My voltage used to run at 250+ V.  My TV and receiver would shut themselves down.  My inverter fridge made beaping noises.  The pump and fans ran like on steroids.  NOT good.  Bought an AVS(AVR) and everything copacetic for 3 years now.  My point though is, that even without a meter to check, your equipment will complain or at least sound distinctly different with overly high or low voltage.

On 12/9/2019 at 5:35 AM, Chazar said:

How many did you have to buy? One for each circuit Breaker??? Or One for main breaker then feed all circuits from out on voltage protector...

63A would suffice for us as I have two boxes ,,,,, Install one for each main breaker then feed out to corresponding box circuits??

Sounds like this might be an issue everyone should address as we have now had a total of 4 Neon fixture explode and catch fire. an multiple circuits in the house suddenly have no power (or one leg of two getting voltage... They do not have 200VAC - one leg is dead the other is hot... Got knock on my Ass!)

On 12/8/2019 at 1:33 PM, zlodnick said:

I just checked with my new multimeter, (1 year old), and got 290v.

Then I tried the old multimeter, (10 years old), and got 230v.

Looks like the new one is off?

Even cheap meters should not be that inaccurate on a simple AC voltage measurement. Low battery will cause all functions to be inaccurate.

In any event, high voltages such as you describe are hugely abnormal and will surely damage things.

Contact your electric company immediately.

14 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Low battery will cause all functions to be inaccurate

My meter uses energy from the power source being measured for voltage.

unless measuring resistance, impedance or testing transistors. But that is a really cheap device.

Archived