Anyone taken out insurance from the Thai Govt list yet?

mikey88

11 hours ago, Momofarang said:

What you don't know is WHEN the health insurance will become mandatory for Non O, or "Thai Wife" extensions too. So some people who could still get the required Thai insurance now, would end up screwed in one, two or more years time.

True, but NOBODY knows if and when that will happen.

Those who are 75+ years or with pre-existing conditions are already screwed now, and luckily they still have the Non Imm OA - marriage or Non Imm O - retirement option.

When thai authorities would also block that path, they effectively have no options anymore (as well as the ones that in mean time would be over 75 years of age).

So in my opinion - and it is only an opinion - IF and WHEN they go that way, it will most probably be in a different way than how the present amateurish debacle was rolled out.  And with options for those that would have no access to the thai-approved health-insurance because of their age or pre-existing conditions.

So I stand with my statement that the relatively small cost and effort to switch to a 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa and then apply for a 1 year extension based on that Non Imm O - retirement, is probably one of the best investments you can do at the present moment. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

So I stand with my statement that the relatively small cost and effort to switch to a 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa and then apply for a 1 year extension based on that Non Imm O - retirement, is probably one of the best investments you can do at the present moment. 

Sorry, that is the same type of advice many of were given by our home countries Thai Embassies and Consulates about the value of the O-A in the first place.  I am personally waiting for something better than the present moment 

Fool me once shame on you,  fool me twice, shame on me 

2 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

Sorry, that is the same type of advice many of were given by our home countries Thai Embassies and Consulates about the value of the O-A in the first place.  I am personally waiting for something better than the present moment 

Fool me once shame on you,  fool me twice, shame on me 

Agree that if your next OA - retirement extension of stay is months in the future, it is best to wait and follow the developments before taking a decision on how to proceed.

But if you to have to do your extension now, it's a far better option to go the conversion route than paying up for the expensive and basically worthless thai-approved health-insurance.

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Non O, right , the way to go for all those (retirement and marriage) on OA extensions. But in my opinion that's not enough if you have a family you want to stay (and die) with. I reckon it is better to explore all our options to gain a health cover acceptable to the oppressors. What stop me to (try to) get one of these ridiculous insurances is that my otherwise excellent CIGNA cover could request me to make all claims first to the Thai Insurance, hence prevent me from benefiting from any no claim bonus.

1 hour ago, silverhawk_usa said:

Please note that even if you already have a health-insurance policy with one of the 12 companies on the list, that does not guarantee that your policy meets the criteria set by IO and has been approved.  You need to have the Certificate stating that your policy meets the IO requirements.  Only for approved policy-schemes will the thai insurance company issue such Certificate, and without Certificate your application for extension of stay based on a Non Imm OA retirement will NOT be approved. 

6 hours ago, Momofarang said:

Non O, right , the way to go for all those (retirement and marriage) on OA extensions. But in my opinion that's not enough if you have a family you want to stay (and die) with. I reckon it is better to explore all our options to gain a health cover acceptable to the oppressors. What stop me to (try to) get one of these ridiculous insurances is that my otherwise excellent CIGNA cover could request me to make all claims first to the Thai Insurance, hence prevent me from benefiting from any no claim bonus.

"What stop me to (try to) get one of these ridiculous insurances is that my otherwise excellent CIGNA cover could request me to make all claims first to the Thai Insurance, hence prevent me from benefiting from any no claim bonus."

Something that those not experienced in insurances forget that exists ...as they should endless point to each other for payment   and the patient stays in the cold !

2 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

I think if it get approved by the Embassy's  but when arriving at Thai airport and I.O who does not like his service complicated and  compare it with their Thai approved list , and sa good chance you get refused entry..

On 12/10/2019 at 2:23 PM, LivinLOS said:

The certificate is only for 'the first year' when applying for the OA.. And the first entry to the country. 

To extend the permission of stay the OA visa generates, it has to be one on the list, not any other with the signed form. 

It is only for initial issuance of the visa but as I read the rules it can be used for subsequent entries as long as the date indicated in the Embassy/Consulate notation on the visa has not passed (will only be stamped in until then tho).

Hasn't been put to the test and would often not be possible but if an insurer were willing to allow a policy to be extended for more than one year forward it might then be possible to use foreign policy for more than one year.

Definitely not for extension though. Between gthis and the money in Thai bank requirements (with limits on spending it), a lot now to be said for sequential OA visas as opposed to incountry extensions of stay. Provided one's insurer will sign the certificate.

1 hour ago, david555 said:

I think if it get approved by the Embassy's  but when arriving at Thai airport and I.O who does not like his service complicated and  compare it with their Thai approved list , and sa good chance you get refused entry..

There has not been a single report of someone entering with the required Embassy notation on their visa being refused. Grabted, it is still early days for entries with OAs issued after 31 October.

I did see one report where the person had to point out the Embassy notation to the IO. Once he did he was quickly stamped in.

The rules are quite clear that a foreign policy can be used initially.

My advice to anyone entering on an OA issued after 31 October with the appropriate notation  on their visa is to stay firm (but polite), don't offer up any document and just state that you provided it to the Embassy already and point to the Embassy notation.

On 12/10/2019 at 11:51 AM, Peter Denis said:

Of possible interest for some.

A Belgian TVF member did sent me a filled-in and signed copy of the Foreign Insurance Certificate required by the thai embassy/consulate when applying for a Non Imm OA Visa (see attached).

Yes, the Certificate is not complete.  The out-patient coverage is not filled in.  And the names of two directors from the insurance company are missing (I understood from an earlier TVF post, that the names are sufficient and that no signatures are needed, so that could be solved quickly).

But the interesting thing is that this certificate was issued by the Belgian branch of the French international insurance company AXA.  And AXA's thai branch is one of the 12 approved companies for providing health-insurance that meets the IO requirements when applying for an extension of stay based on your OA - retirement Visa.

If the Belgian branch of AXA is willing to sign the foreign-insurance certificate, there might be the possibility for holders of a foreign AXA insurance, to ask their AXA contact-person to contact the thai AXA branch, and requesting them to provide the Certificate based on the policy the holder has with his foreign branch.

If approved, that would open the door for foreign insurance being allowed not only for applying for an OA Visa in your home-country but also for using that insurance when applying for an extension of stay in Thailand.

AXA Assudis certificate.png

I strongly doubt AXA Thailand would issue a letter based on a policy with AXA in a foreign country. They are not simply a branch office, they are an independent Thai company incorporated as such. 

However it is good to know that AXA Belgium will sign this certificate. So far we have heard of a German Insurer (Hans Mercer, or something like that), AXA Belgium and a still unnamed American company as signing this.

I would also like to hear the outcome of submitting this certificate to the |Embassy as it seems to indicate the policy does not meet Imm requirements (no outpatient). If what they meant was that there is no separate limit for outpatient then should have so indicated rather than leaving it blank. Anyway please do update the outcome.

19 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I strongly doubt AXA Thailand would issue a letter based on a policy with AXA in a foreign country. They are not simply a branch office, they are an independent Thai company incorporated as such. 

However it is good to know that AXA Belgium will sign this certificate. So far we have heard of a German Insurer (Hans Mercer, or something like that), AXA Belgium and a still unnamed American company as signing this.

I would also like to hear the outcome of submitting this certificate to the |Embassy as it seems to indicate the policy does not meet Imm requirements (no outpatient). If what they meant was that there is no separate limit for outpatient then should have so indicated rather than leaving it blank. Anyway please do update the outcome.

Axa sad the outpatient is included in the sum of 12500€ each incident , but yes they don't put it separate, and also the exchange rate can make it narrow to comply .

PS besides your remark in former reply on my post , a granted visa by an Embassy does not give you a100% guarantee of entrance …., as it the Thai immigrations privilege's to do or not for a number of reasons ….similar I experienced in 1995 with a visa very  hardly obtained for Nigeria , where by entering I was refused by state security , while immigration accepted me , interference of my Embassy was needed..! Two Nig. gov services contradicting each other  (immigration and State security …) 

Needless to say that was that time also a Country under military rule by dictator Sani Abacha 

Immigration is the final boss for entry access unless a "higher hand" interferes 

Archived