Border bounce issue

2 hours ago, tabarin said:

I would not know why anyone can be stopped or refused to leave or re-enter if holding a multiple entry non-o visa. 
Must been a cheesy extortion the OP accepted too fast. 

No man, they refused to stamp out unless i  paid, the only thing I could of done is kicked up a fuss, caused a scene and not got stamped out

15 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:
  2 hours ago, steve187 said:

why did you not try the next border crossing 20 mins up the road

Probably because there isnt one lol

I am not sure of the exact distance or driving time with your own car, but Ban Laem is not far as the crow flies. By public transport, it is probably a tricky journey.

3 hours ago, 2008bangkok said:

No mate its a 1 yr multi entry with 90 day max stay per visit.

Lets not confuse people who might read the thread.

Sorry, what type of visa is this? Is this a tourist visa?

You can only stay in Thailand for max of 180 days per year on tourist visa.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, EricTh said:

That depends on the entry point into Thailand that you use. Most land crossings and some airports are still not enforcing unofficial rules limiting your time in Thailand on tourist entries.

19 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Why do you like to post wrong information?   

Try staying in Thailand for more than 180 days per year on "tourist" visas and report back. It's not an official rule. But you will definitely get refused at some point.

Vietnam is nice.

Edited by SteveK

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

So far about 330 days this year.

If you have been in Thailand for 330 days in the last year on tourist visas, which I doubt, then you are exactly the kind of idiot the country is trying to clamp down on. Thanks for making everyone's life here so hard.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, SteveK said:

If you have been in Thailand for 330 days in the last year on tourist visas, which I doubt, then you are exactly the kind of idiot the country is trying to clamp down on. Thanks for making everyone's life here so hard.

Nobody is trying to clamp down on people who just like to stay in Thailand.

The clampdown occurs mainly for two reasons:

People working illegally on Tourist visas. The problem is that an IO might assume i work illegally in Thailand, even though i don't, and then he might want to deny me wrongfully.

IOs trying to get people to use extensions so they can get money from agents, so IOs deny people for arbitrary reasons.

38 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Please outline your formulae. I'm sure many folk would be impressed. 

Oh tack on next year plan just for kicks

Enter at land borders who follow the written rules, actually not too difficult.

Plan for the next few months are visa exempts. If i should run into any problems i will make a thread here on Thaivisa.

Edited by jackdd
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Nobody is trying to clamp down on people who just like to stay in Thailand.

The clampdown occurs mainly for two reasons:

People working illegally on Tourist visas. The problem is that an IO might assume i work illegally in Thailand, even though i don't, and then he might want to deny me wrongfully.

IOs trying to get people to use extensions so they can get money from agents.

Enter at land borders who follow the written rules, actually not too difficult.

Plan for the next few months are visa exempts. If i should run into any problems i will make a thread here on Thaivisa.

Looking forward to it.

People working in Los is a joke. Teaching?

Good news is you have 2 ve border next yr extendable by 30 each. That's 4 month. Couple of setv with extension. Brilliant. Extend each. 

Tick tock.

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Looking forward to it.

People working in Los is a joke. Teaching?

Good news is you have 2 ve border next yr extendable by 30 each. That's 4 month. Couple of setv with extension. Brilliant. Extend each. 

Tick tock.

Teching is probably the most common job that westerners do without a work permit. When i talked with IOs i learned that their main concern about repeated tourists is that they might work in Thailand, they didn't specify which type of work they had in mind.

I still have a VE this year, plus two next year makes it 6 months.

I didn't get a SETV since quite a few years, just a short trip back home, buying all the things which are cheaper there (good chocolate, cheese, makeup for the girlfriend...) nearly pays for the ticket, and then just get a METV.

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

If he can really stay 330 days on a tourist visa, then we don't see any point in getting an education visa, retirement extension, elite visa, marriage visa etc.

That saves us a lot of headache in bringing in money into Thailand.

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

If he can really stay 330 days on a tourist visa, then we don't see any point in getting an education visa, retirement extension, elite visa, marriage visa etc.

I believe he has successfully done so, but it has become challenging to achieve, needing to be very careful where you get visas, and where you enter Thailand. Also, I can see it becoming infeasible in the future.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EricTh said:

There's no doubt whatsoever that someone could/can do that up until now. Personally, I think nowadays it's too much of an inconvenience and ultimately not worth it, because you need to avoid entering at most airports, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. Not yet, that is.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Hopefully you got a receipt, and a photo of the immigration officer on your smartphone, and can report the officer concerned to head office in Bangkok.

Would you get your phone out and ask for a receipt in such circumstances? (Do they have a 'no photos' sign at the border crossings like in the IOs?). I suggest it would be risky and the guy was unwise leaving it to the last day of his Permission. 

• Like 1

To those TM11 experts, I would really like to learn more, if someone has experience and not just theoretical knowledge.

It says on the form you have to hand it over in person. To whom? The IO who denies you? So what if he says no I do not take it? What are you gonna do? Also you would need a receipt that he received your TM11, right? So if you want to report on of those to headquarters, what do you have to back up what you say?

9 hours ago, EricTh said:

why would someone on a marriage visa with 400,000 in the bank choose a visa that requires frequent trips out of the country,

everyone knows ed visa's are abused. they have been clamped down on, but maybe again in the future

1 hour ago, cerox said:

jackd, please tell me do you still use airports to leave Thailand and only land borders for entries?

About 4 or 5 months ago (last year i was in Thailand most of the time) i entered by air at CNX airport (with a valid METV). But usually by land, yes.

I wouldn't try to enter visa exempt at an airport in today's climate.

We will have to see how the situation develops, but if i had to choose today:

As explained before, SETV is imho too much hassle, so i would get a METV in Germany.

I would not be brave enough to try to fly direct from Germany into BKK.

My chances to be denied entry with a valid METV in CNX are imho quite small, so i would dare to fly Germany - Kuala Lumpur - CNX. If they should really deny me i could still enter by land.

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

About 4 or 5 months ago (last year i was in Thailand most of the time) i entered by air at CNX airport (with a valid METV). But usually by land, yes.

I wouldn't try to enter visa exempt at an airport in today's climate.

We will have to see how the situation develops, but if i had to choose today:

As explained before, SETV is imho too much hassle, so i would get a METV in Germany.

I would not be brave enough to try to fly direct from Germany into BKK.

My chances to be denied entry with a valid METV in CNX are imho quite small, so i would dare to fly Germany - Kuala Lumpur - CNX. If they should really deny me i could still enter by land.

Do you not like the agent option?

17 hours ago, baboon said:

I have had issues over the past year at Ranong and Sungai Kolok. It may be in your case that they were simply trying to extort money, but I do have the impression that Non 'O's are the next domino to fall. One or two others have noticed an increasing hostility to this class of visa too.

Non O's are getting harder to get.

Extortion is more likely your answer.

Visa corruption is more rife than ever now that the restrictions are getting harder.

Hua Hin immigration tried to extort 500 bht for a Tm30 for my friend a few days ago he refused and went to another counter, a big fuss was made and they gave it to him with no fee.

Local Thais are telling me that they are concerned as there is now no jobs, crime is up, and this person said the government is now 3 months late with payment for her work for schools.

1 hour ago, Olmate said:

Do you not like the agent option?

I'm not married and not 50, so an agent won't be able to help me.

If i had the option to go the agent route:

I'm not strictly against corruption (if i were i would not stay in Thailand), but i try to avoid it if possible.

When applying for an extension for marriage / retirement reasons they might give the person some problems, maybe requiring an extra trip to the immigration office, but in the end it's possible to get the extension without an agent. There is also a good chance that the IO won't give you problems.

I don't see a reason why i would pay 10k+ THB to maybe save a few hours of time.

By paying an agent people also support the tightening of rules and that IOs make up arbitrary rules for people who apply without an agent to push them into the agent scheme where they get a payoff.

Edited by jackdd

A  few  years  ago  when  stamping  out  at  Had  Lek  the  IO  flipped  through  my  passport  looking  annoyed.  He  did  stamp  me  out  without  trying  to  extort  $  but  threw  my  passport  back  at  me.  He  had  thrown  the  previous  person's  passport  at  them  as  well.  It  is  hard  enough  with  the  corruption  on  the  Cambodian  side.  Now  this?  I  do  not  do  "in/out",  instead  staying  in  the  neighbouring  country  for  30  days.  I  am  a  legitimate  tourist  just  trying  to  escape  winter.  Now  I  feel  totally  stressed.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If they didn't stamp a refusal in your passport, it was an extortion attempt.

Did you ask to contest the refusal, using the appropriate form (TM 11)?

A tm11. Wow something new to learn.

6 hours ago, steve187 said:

why would someone on a marriage visa with 400,000 in the bank choose a visa that requires frequent trips out of the country,

everyone knows ed visa's are abused. they have been clamped down on, but maybe again in the future

Not everybody has 400,000 (marriage) or 800,000 (retirement) in their bank account.

There are some reported cases in this forum where they have insufficient funds.

If it is so easy to stay long-term in Thailand on a tourist visa, then anybody without a health problem can just exit to the nearest land border and come back in every 3 months. Doing a border run is no big deal for most people.

That would nullify all the new regulations of insurance requirements.

Edited by EricTh

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

Not everybody has 400,000 (marriage) or 800,000 (retirement) in their bank account.

There are some reported cases in this forum where they have insufficient funds.

If it is so easy to stay long-term in Thailand on a tourist visa, then anybody without a health problem can just exit to the nearest land border and come back in every 3 months. Doing a border run is no big deal for most people.

That would nullify all the new regulations of insurance requirements.

which only apply to non imm 'O''A' visas and 'retirement' extension from

On 12/8/2019 at 8:55 PM, EricTh said:

Sorry, what type of visa is this? Is this a tourist visa?

I just went through the anwsers to look for advice and came across this one....

I already told you it was a Non Immigrant - 0 valid for 1 yr and gives max 90 days stay per visit and you can come and go as many times as you like during that time.

Nothing to do with a Tourist visa..

The main question of my post was is this an actual law that people with NOn Immigrnt visa are meant to only come and go by air because in all the time in thailand iv never heard of it