First Time Visitor To Thailand

theequalizer

Greetings!

Thank you for the forum and its members who are willing to offer their advice and knowledge.

My wife and I are scheduled to visit Thailand next April. We arrive at 9:45AM on a Monday and depart at 5:40 on a Thursday (3 day stay).

I am considering using the MRT from/to Suvarnabhumi International Airport and lodging in a hotel close to the MRT line.

As we are only going to be there for a limited amount of time, I was hoping that someone could give us suggestions for things to do in and around Bangkok.

We are an older couple, and considering the temperatures at that time of year, I would be looking for info about things that don't require a great deal of walking. Maybe some nice parks, spiritual and/or historical places, public markets with handicrafts, interesting local restaurants and a nice mall. I am a budget traveler and I am always on the lookout for a bargain.

Please allow me to thank you in advance for your help.

Do not get caught up with wanting to living in Thailand. Immigration is so corrupt if you buy a home or car, Immigration can make you leave Thailand at a moments notice Not caring if you still own money or time to sell items and most of all must always be on guard of paying a bribe to immigration.

See the country and enjoy yourself with the good people of Thailand.

One of the most uncomfortable times of year to visit,especially with the heat and stifling atmosphere of Bangkok. I don’t know why you chose this option and I understand the MRT is crowded and uncomfortable which is why I never use it. I would wait until you arrive to gauge how uncomfortable you feel. You might just wanna remain indoors in the air conditioning. 

As you have described yourselves as an "older couple" I feel bound to say that you really have chosen a time of year that is probably the most incompatible with your requirement for minimised discomfort.

I would go further and say probably also a city that is normally fairly incompatible with that requirement.

I would not be happy to leave most of the "older" people I know to manage the place on their own.

However,

If I were in your circumstances I would suggest this hotel for myself:

https://www.theatlantahotelbangkok.com/

I would also strongly consider asking them to arrange for you a guide/driver, who will take you to the sort of places you want to visit, as comfortably as possible.

Being an "older person" & having the luck to have lived here in Bangkok for 29 years may

I say do not believe all the soothsayers who no doubt live here but insist on continually 

knocking it.

There are some beautiful things to do here, if walking is not your thing a guide from a good hotel will help, 99% of Thais are wonderful people

Note : You decide once you see the alternatives & then ensure the guide takes you to these.

Dinner beside the river or on it is great.

Enjoy your visit

2 hours ago, Sergeant said:

Do not get caught up with wanting to living in Thailand. Immigration is so corrupt if you buy a home or car, Immigration can make you leave Thailand at a moments notice Not caring if you still own money or time to sell items and most of all must always be on guard of paying a bribe to immigration.

Nonsense. Only the most delusionally paranoid think like that.

Dear theequalizer, it is a hot time of the year, but as, natway09, has stated the Thai's are wonderful people. I'm in my late 60's and have been here 20+ years.  I've never taken the airport MRT and cannot give you any advice on that or hotels along that the line.  There are always going to be crooks in the tourist industry in counties that rely on them so much, so just use your common sense if you encounter 'deals'.  When I first came here, I had no idea where to stay and no one met me, so I booked a room from one of the airport hotel kiosk and then hired a 'limo' from AOT to get there.  It was all a set price so I didn't have to worry about getting a 'bum' taxi.  The limos are 3-4 times the price of a Thai taxi, but about the same cost as a taxi in the USA.  Do not take a car from someone who 'approaches' you in the arrivals hall.  There are other limo companies besides AOT and you can book them on line.  I'd google "Phaya Thai Airport Rail Link Station" to look at hotels near the rail link station and gauge the price to your budget if you decide to take the train.

BTW, the Atlanta Hotel is a not close to the Airport rail link or any tourist attractions and is a long walk to the Sukhumvit skytrain; although, it may be a great hotel.

I hope you enjoy your stay.

The OP should just use a regular guide book. Too many anti Thai racists and inexperienced travellers voice their il informed opinions and predudices. Try The Rough Guide series much better than lonely planet guide. As a taxi is so cheap dont bother with public transport until after you have checked in.

On 12/8/2019 at 10:14 AM, theequalizer said:

We are an older couple, and considering the temperatures at that time of year, I would be looking for info about things that don't require a great deal of walking.

In that case I would suggest that you book accommodation in advance and take a metered taxi, available from the ground level, from Suvarnabhumi to your hotel, rather than train and walk with luggage.

The taxi fare is per meter-showing plus an airport surcharge (used to be 50 baht, might have increased a bit) plus road tax for using leveled motorways. The queue line at ground level will give you a ticket and direct you to a waiting cab.

As other have mentioned the Thai new year "Song Kran" is from April 13th to April 15th, in some areas of Bankok folk might play with water.

Normally a must see in Bangkok would be Grand Palace – the tempel of the Emerald Buddha, and the royal palace – but that require some walking.

Next to Grand Palace is the Wat Pho temple with the reclining Buddha, but longer than walking distance for you from Grand Palace v.v., so take a cab.

A river-side dinner – or even a dinner cruise – might also be of your interest. You might be able to find a river-side hotel with that option. Depending of your budget the Riverside Terrace buffet at Oriental is an outstanding experience.

It could also be the dinner buffet on top of the city in for example Baiyoke Sky Hotel, which could also be an option for accommodation. I have often used it; their web-page use to have some affordable (relative, of course) early booking bargains. It's next to the airport-link train, and they also have a pick-up service from the airport. The area is the clothing market, and it's a short cab-ride or sky-train (via airport link, change at next station) from major shopping malls like Central World and Siam Paragon.

????

On 12/8/2019 at 4:14 PM, theequalizer said:

I am considering using the MRT from/to Suvarnabhumi International Airport and lodging in a hotel close to the MRT line.

have a pen to write with on the plane for immigration forms.

allow one hour once you are off the plane for immigration and customs.

actually you will be using what is called "the city line" at the airport.

but i would suggest you take a taxi. should be less than 300 baht to go a long distance.

i would try to get a tourist SIM card for your phone at the airport so you can use google maps.

i would know where my hotel is on google maps so the taxi will know and they don't take you in the wrong direction.

many hotels in thailand have very similar names. taxi drivers don't speak English.

riding the Skytrain BTS and underground MRT can be fun once you get to your hotel and get rid of your bags. 

It is also very crowded and sometimes no where to sit. look for the elevators if you can't do the stairs.

as best you can plan tour trips with a hotel. never with someone approaching you on the street for anything. 

google thailand tourist scams and familiarize yourself with them.  

don't underestimate the heat. you will need to rest and drink water a lot.

never give your passport to anyone for any reason (like a deposit). just the hotel to check you in. if a policeman asks you for it ok.

download Grab app and set it up. use it for taxis once you are away from the airport. 

Bangkok Hospital and Bumrungrad Hospital for major emergencies.

make sure you have your email setup with security account recovery info because you will be locked out the first time you log in from Thailand. same banks. 

withdraw Baht from ATMs in 400, 900, 1400, 1900 amounts so you have small bills. many shops cant change 1000 baht bills.

vital to bring earplugs. enough for the whole trip. thailand hotels can be incredibly noisy. Thailand in general is very noisy. restaurants. everywhere. 

Book a hotel next to your mall of choice. Lots of restaurants and (overpriced) shopping in one air conditioned place. As suggested, book a driver to see some chosen highlights. Lumpini Park for a cool morning walk. Never go to any "bargain" gem or shopping place urged by taxi driver or street promoter. There is a giant Thai market on the outskirts, but deadly hot that time of year and no air con anywhere for miles. Your hotel desk staff should be able to direct you to local discount shopping.

8 hours ago, Enoon said:

As you have described yourselves as an "older couple" I feel bound to say that you really have chosen a time of year that is probably the most incompatible with your requirement for minimised discomfort.

I would go further and say probably also a city that is normally fairly incompatible with that requirement.

I would not be happy to leave most of the "older" people I know to manage the place on their own.

However,

I would also strongly consider asking them to arrange for you a guide/driver, who will take you to the sort of places you want to visit, as comfortably as possible.

While certainly cheap and loved by many I know, the Atlanta is rather an odd reccomendation. 

The rooms are very low frills and rather hit and miss. 

I see they have updated the website text, that's a shame, the denial of being a favoured haunt of drug runners in the 1970 and no catamite rule was classic. 

Agree with others, better to get a taxi to your pre-booked hotel for a first time arrival. If you are not used to such a hot climate, the heat will really hit you the moment you walk out of the airport door. 3 days isn't long enough to acclimatise, in fact it isn't long enough to see much at all. If you have long flight you will be very tired on the first day especially if flying East. 

Many tourists choose to stay in the Sukhumvit area, there are many malls there including Terminal 21 and the fairly new Emquartier.

The new Icon Siam mall on the banks of the Chao Phraya river is well worth a look. To get there take the BTS skytrain to Saphan Taksin station. Short walk to Central (Sathorn) pier, then a free shuttle boat. (every 10 minutes) 

By the way: The MRT (Mass Rapid Transit) is an underground train system, it doesn't go the airport but the ARL (Airport Rail Link) does. You can interchange at Makkasan to Phetchaburi MRT station.

On 12/10/2019 at 4:18 PM, Sergeant said:

Thanks Sergeant.

We reside on one of the top 5 islands in the world and we wouldn't trade it's beauty for any other place.

Like many "under" developed countries we also have corrupt officials and agencies. My wife works for city government and my neighbor is both an attorney and the City Secretary so I have been able to steer clear of the scams and bad business decisions.

On 12/10/2019 at 5:20 PM, Enoon said:

However,

I was more concerned about lengthy walks. Yes, we are older, but not ancient. LOL. And we are acclimatized as we live on an island in the South China Sea. It was so hot here yesterday that a cockroach knocked on our door and asked if he could come in and sit in front of the fan. (Smile)

Thanks for tip about the hotel...I will check it out.

Any suggestions as to where we can find a driver? And I thought Thailand has Grab.

On 12/10/2019 at 7:36 PM, AgMech Cowboy said:

Dear theequalizer, it is a hot time of the year, but as, natway09, has stated the Thai's are wonderful people. I'm in my late 60's and have been here 20+ years.  I've never taken the airport MRT and cannot give you any advice on that or hotels along that the line.  There are always going to be crooks in the tourist industry in counties that rely on them so much, so just use your common sense if you encounter 'deals'.  When I first came here, I had no idea where to stay and no one met me, so I booked a room from one of the airport hotel kiosk and then hired a 'limo' from AOT to get there.  It was all a set price so I didn't have to worry about getting a 'bum' taxi.  The limos are 3-4 times the price of a Thai taxi, but about the same cost as a taxi in the USA.  Do not take a car from someone who 'approaches' you in the arrivals hall.  There are other limo companies besides AOT and you can book them on line.  I'd google "Phaya Thai Airport Rail Link Station" to look at hotels near the rail link station and gauge the price to your budget if you decide to take the train.

BTW, the Atlanta Hotel is a not close to the Airport rail link or any tourist attractions and is a long walk to the Sukhumvit skytrain; although, it may be a great hotel.

I hope you enjoy your stay.

Excellent! I really appreciate the info. I live in and travel throughout S.E. Asia on a regular basis so we have learned about most of taxi scams and our country is probably one of the worst.  Taiwan, Singapore and Malaysia's MRT and bus systems were excellent. Yes, crowded at times with the traditional pushing and shoving, but we can endure their different cultural concept of personal space.

On 12/10/2019 at 6:39 PM, emptypockets said:

Nonsense. Only the most delusionally paranoid think like that.

LOL. I am not delusional or paranoid, but I am also not a fool. Most "under" developed countries in S.E. Asia have strict rules about what a foreigner can and cannot own. Here in our country I could only own 40% of any real estate or business. That is why everything is in my wife's name. Moreover, if I anger someone they can file a compliant with immigration and I could be placed on their "Blacklist" which would result in the cancellation of my visa and prohibit reentry into the country. And it happens all the time.

On 12/10/2019 at 11:02 PM, NCC1701A said:

allow one hour once you are off the plane for immigration and customs

I was through in 15 minutes last Saturday at 1pm. Use the over 70s desk at the right of all the other desks.

On 12/10/2019 at 11:27 PM, khunPer said:

In that case I would suggest that you book accommodation in advance and take a metered taxi, available from the ground level, from Suvarnabhumi to your hotel, rather than train and walk with luggage.

The taxi fare is per meter-showing plus an airport surcharge (used to be 50 baht, might have increased a bit) plus road tax for using leveled motorways. The queue line at ground level will give you a ticket and direct you to a waiting cab.

As other have mentioned the Thai new year "Song Kran" is from April 13th to April 15th, in some areas of Bankok folk might play with water.

Normally a must see in Bangkok would be Grand Palace – the tempel of the Emerald Buddha, and the royal palace – but that require some walking.

Next to Grand Palace is the Wat Pho temple with the reclining Buddha, but longer than walking distance for you from Grand Palace v.v., so take a cab.

A river-side dinner – or even a dinner cruise – might also be of your interest. You might be able to find a river-side hotel with that option. Depending of your budget the Riverside Terrace buffet at Oriental is an outstanding experience.

It could also be the dinner buffet on top of the city in for example Baiyoke Sky Hotel, which could also be an option for accommodation. I have often used it; their web-page use to have some affordable (relative, of course) early booking bargains. It's next to the airport-link train, and they also have a pick-up service from the airport. The area is the clothing market, and it's a short cab-ride or sky-train (via airport link, change at next station) from major shopping malls like Central World and Siam Paragon.

????

Wow! Super! A wealth of information. Thank you so very much. 

And we also have a "Water Festival" here in our S.E. Asian nation so I get it about "Song Kran".

On 12/11/2019 at 12:02 AM, NCC1701A said:

have a pen to write with on the plane for immigration forms.

allow one hour once you are off the plane for immigration and customs.

actually you will be using what is called "the city line" at the airport.

but i would suggest you take a taxi. should be less than 300 baht to go a long distance.

i would try to get a tourist SIM card for your phone at the airport so you can use google maps.

i would know where my hotel is on google maps so the taxi will know and they don't take you in the wrong direction.

many hotels in thailand have very similar names. taxi drivers don't speak English.

riding the Skytrain BTS and underground MRT can be fun once you get to your hotel and get rid of your bags. 

It is also very crowded and sometimes no where to sit. look for the elevators if you can't do the stairs.

as best you can plan tour trips with a hotel. never with someone approaching you on the street for anything. 

google thailand tourist scams and familiarize yourself with them.  

don't underestimate the heat. you will need to rest and drink water a lot.

never give your passport to anyone for any reason (like a deposit). just the hotel to check you in. if a policeman asks you for it ok.

download Grab app and set it up. use it for taxis once you are away from the airport. 

Bangkok Hospital and Bumrungrad Hospital for major emergencies.

make sure you have your email setup with security account recovery info because you will be locked out the first time you log in from Thailand. same banks. 

withdraw Baht from ATMs in 400, 900, 1400, 1900 amounts so you have small bills. many shops cant change 1000 baht bills.

vital to bring earplugs. enough for the whole trip. thailand hotels can be incredibly noisy. Thailand in general is very noisy. restaurants. everywhere. 

Vietnam has been the only country that a hotel asked us to leave our passports. The clerk told us that the military/police come by everyday checking the passports for members of rebel groups and dissidents. (Those who do not favor Communism) Knowing this in advance, we just left our old passports and carried the current ones with us. 

We live in a S.E. Asian country so we are always on guard for scams. 

I prepare Google maps of the places I want to visit and Google maps provides the location written in the language of the country. So I always have that with me to give to Grab or taxi drivers or in case we are walking and get lost.

Thank you so much for taking the time to list all of your suggestions.

I will review all. 

Archived