BANGKOK
theequalizer

First Time Visitor To Thailand

Greetings!

Thank you for the forum and its members who are willing to offer their advice and knowledge.

My wife and I are scheduled to visit Thailand next April. We arrive at 9:45AM on a Monday and depart at 5:40 on a Thursday (3 day stay).

I am considering using the MRT from/to Suvarnabhumi International Airport and lodging in a hotel close to the MRT line.

As we are only going to be there for a limited amount of time, I was hoping that someone could give us suggestions for things to do in and around Bangkok.

We are an older couple, and considering the temperatures at that time of year, I would be looking for info about things that don't require a great deal of walking. Maybe some nice parks, spiritual and/or historical places, public markets with handicrafts, interesting local restaurants and a nice mall. I am a budget traveler and I am always on the lookout for a bargain.

Please allow me to thank you in advance for your help.

Do not get caught up with wanting to living in Thailand. Immigration is so corrupt if you buy a home or car, Immigration can make you leave Thailand at a moments notice Not caring if you still own money or time to sell items and most of all must always be on guard of paying a bribe to immigration.

See the country and enjoy yourself with the good people of Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 4

One of the most uncomfortable times of year to visit,especially with the heat and stifling atmosphere of Bangkok. I don’t know why you chose this option and I understand the MRT is crowded and uncomfortable which is why I never use it. I would wait until you arrive to gauge how uncomfortable you feel. You might just wanna remain indoors in the air conditioning. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First time visitor to Thailand make it your last. It's a dog hole 😂😂😅

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Book a hotel next to your mall of choice. Lots of restaurants and (overpriced) shopping in one air conditioned place. As suggested, book a driver to see some chosen highlights. Lumpini Park for a cool morning walk. Never go to any "bargain" gem or shopping place urged by taxi driver or street promoter. There is a giant Thai market on the outskirts, but deadly hot that time of year and no air con anywhere for miles. Your hotel desk staff should be able to direct you to local discount shopping.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Enoon said:

As you have described yourselves as an "older couple" I feel bound to say that you really have chosen a time of year that is probably the most incompatible with your requirement for minimised discomfort.

I would go further and say probably also a city that is normally fairly incompatible with that requirement.

I would not be happy to leave most of the "older" people I know to manage the place on their own.

However,

If I were in your circumstances I would suggest this hotel for myself:

https://www.theatlantahotelbangkok.com/

I would also strongly consider asking them to arrange for you a guide/driver, who will take you to the sort of places you want to visit, as comfortably as possible.

While certainly cheap and loved by many I know, the Atlanta is rather an odd reccomendation. 

The rooms are very low frills and rather hit and miss. 

I see they have updated the website text, that's a shame, the denial of being a favoured haunt of drug runners in the 1970 and no catamite rule was classic. 

Edited by metempsychotic