Keeping you UK bank active

Clive

37 minutes ago, sanemax said:

And if you lose your telephone or it breaks ?

I dont have a smart phone and find the card reader to be appropriate 

If the card reader breaks, you can always borrow someone elses and also take a spare with you . 

Why no smartphone? You do know it's 2019? Some bank apps are actually better than going online using the website. The functions are not exactly the same. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was talking to Halifax credit card team the other day due to some fraud on my card, they said i could only get my replacement card sent to Thailand if my address was there, so not wanting to change it they sent to my UK address instead and i had someone bring the card out to me. Anyway they seemed relaxed about having a Thailand address

20 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Don't all the UK banks use the card reader?

No, Halifax bank does not use a card reader and will not send replacement debit cards on expiry to Thailand either, they say they have an embargo on Thailand, when i asked why via their (now discontinued) 24hr helpline in Thailand they did not know!

Nationwide on the other hand use the reader as others have said, and have no problems sending replacement cards, so it all depends on who you bank with!

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

I was talking to Halifax credit card team the other day due to some fraud on my card, they said i could only get my replacement card sent to Thailand if my address was there,

22 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

No, Halifax bank does not use a card reader and will not send replacement debit cards on expiry to Thailand either, they say they have an embargo on Thailand, when i asked why via their (now discontinued) 24hr helpline in Thailand they did not know!

Now that's an interesting juxtaposition isn't it.

25 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

Nationwide on the other hand use the reader as others have said, and have no problems sending replacement cards, so it all depends on who you bank with!

And I can tell you from experience, that you were to contact Nationwide helpline or secure messaging and ask them 'will you send my replacement card to Thailand' they will say 'no we can't'. - And then they do! Yes, that's actually happened to me.

In the world of banking, the left hand doesn't always know what the right hand is doing. No wonder there is so much confusion regarding these these issues.

6 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Have you officially migrated and have accounts at those 3 banks? 

Yes. Completed change of address some years back and also answered their tax residency questionaires of a couple of years back. Confirmed I was based in Thailand but had no local tax ID as I did not work in Thailand.

My responses were accepted and operation of accounts continue as before and bank cards are sent to me in Thailand as and when they expire. 

So, as I previously stated, your earlier comment does not match with my experience.

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

And if you lose your telephone or it breaks ?

I dont have a smart phone and find the card reader to be appropriate 

If the card reader breaks, you can always borrow someone elses and also take a spare with you . 

You like to argue for arguments sake but I'll digress.

Everyone has a smartphone.  I can download the app on my wife's smartphone and still log in.  :coffee1:

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

And I can tell you from experience, that you were to contact Nationwide helpline or secure messaging and ask them 'will you send my replacement card to Thailand' they will say 'no we can't'. - And then they do! Yes, that's actually happened to me.

In the world of banking, the left hand doesn't always know what the right hand is doing. No wonder there is so much confusion regarding these these issues.

My experience with Nationwide is slightly different. They send out new cards to me in Thailand both on expiry of old cards and also, recently, when i sent a request by secure message for a replacement card. All received by me in Thailand with no drama. 

16 hours ago, dabhand said:

Not my experience with Barclays Bank, Nationwide and Lloyds Bank.

There are many different types of account with each bank. They will all have differeing rules an restrictions.

Also, I have a feeling that if you have say a loan and / or credit card with a reasonable balance on it - they're not closing your account for any reason!

10 hours ago, dabhand said:

My experience with Nationwide is slightly different. They send out new cards to me in Thailand both on expiry of old cards and also, recently, when i sent a request by secure message for a replacement card. All received by me in Thailand with no drama. 

Good to here. I've never had a problem with receiving replacement cards. It was just this strange anomaly that the 'help desk' staff thought that they wouldn't.

13 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I was only quoting from own experience otherwise i would not have commented, from the Nationwide and the Halifax Bank!

4 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

I was only quoting from own experience otherwise i would not have commented, from the Nationwide and the Halifax Bank!

I wasn't in any way criticizing, just pointing out the confusing differences that crop up when you delve into this topic. And this isn't first time. It's one of the perennials.

Most people do not have a problem with keeping there UK accounts. Fortunately my home address is my brothers so any mail goes there. I use internet banking, and also activity is maintained (i have more than one bank account) by doing standing orders from one account to another (in a circular fashion). Apart from paying a few DD's and pension payments, only used occasionally.

It is illegal to open a new account in the UK if you are not living there.

On 12/8/2019 at 9:48 PM, torturedsole said:

I can't speak for other UK banking institutions but Santander UK definitely do not utilise this ancient tech.  

Santander sent me one a couple of months ago, not really a card reader as such but a small gadget that looks like a caclulater that generates a pin when doing an online banking transaction for a new payee.

If I use my Visa card online for a larger amount I'm given the option of a OTP via sms or email.   

20 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Santander sent me one a couple of months ago, not really a card reader as such but a small gadget that looks like a caclulater that generates a pin when doing an online banking transaction for a new payee.

If I use my Visa card online for a larger amount I'm given the option of a OTP via sms or email.   

A card reader .

C6C90AF1-DBC6-4F97-8999-ECC3B4B0C816.thumb.jpeg.6fbcc3dd947ccf3d8826ef29a2661190.jpeg

35 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Mine doesnt work like that .

I have to enter my pin number into the card reader , they then send me a numbered code on the card reader  and I enter that code into my online banking page to gain access .

9 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

I don't need to and neither does my wife.  I also suspect that a request of this nature would be met with suspicion.  Ridiculous comment.  Sorry.  

Yes............but if you did need one .

Just ask to burrow someone elses 

Requests like that are not uncommon and it wasnt a ridiculous comment , although I shall accept your apology 

22 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Thank you, I know what a card reader is.
But as I said they didn't send me a card reader they sent me a pin generater, I was making the point that Santander do send out gadgets to verify transactions.

I suspect that's because you're residing abroad, theoldgit.  I've been with Girobank, Abbey National, Alliance & Leicester and Santander through all their various guises for over twenty-five years and never been sent any card or PIN reader, ever.  It's now the app and occasionally require to log in to the app to 'verify' any given transaction which are few and far between but most welcome, nonetheless.

22 hours ago, torturedsole said:

I don't need to and neither does my wife.  I also suspect that a request of this nature would be met with suspicion.  Ridiculous comment.  Sorry.  

Actually a few years ago someone asked on here ,i had a spare and let them have it ,not suspicious in the least.

Archived