Border entry denied at Don Muang

15 hours ago, sanemax said:

If you have a connecting flight , you wouldnt need to go through immigration 

You are subject to immigration at the FIRST point of entry. No exceptions. Even in emergency landing situations, ad hoc immigration clearing is provided. 
**Exception being a pre cleared immigration check at the point of exit in departure country, e.g. Calgary, Abu Dhabi. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, G950 said:

If someone got denied entry at DMK or BKK and and were given the choice of which country they could fly to in order to exit Thailand.  Which would be the best country to in order to hit a land border crossing back into Thailand.? Cambodia? Laos?

The nicest thing to say about Cambodia or Laos is that they are close to Thailand. To answer the question - I would choose Laos and it's because of the people and gov't.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, G950 said:

If someone got denied entry at DMK or BKK and and were given the choice of which country they could fly to in order to exit Thailand.  Which would be the best country to in order to hit a land border crossing back into Thailand.? Cambodia? Laos?

It's very seldom up to you where to go. Back to where you came from is standard procedure.

12 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Arrived both at bkk and DMK with connecting flights to domestic destination. Cleared immigration on entry to Thailand and customs at final destination

Same for me, but that was connecting to CNX...do the smaller airports like KKN have customs, though?  I would have to be the only one in the airport needing to clear my stuff..would hate to have Barney Fife weighing my cigars.

Edited by moontang

46 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

If someone got denied entry at DMK or BKK and and were given the choice of which country they could fly to in order to exit Thailand.  Which would be the best country to in order to hit a land border crossing back into Thailand.? Cambodia? Laos

I had a friend denied at DMK after a night in the cells 1,000 baht they sent him back to  Cambodia he was refused entry as he hadn't entered Thailand, sent back to DMK another night in the cell and another 1,000 b had to go back to Italy he was 72 yr old.   :welcomeani:

17 hours ago, madmen said:

Nonsense they dont let you close enough to hear anything . So your saying all 3 of you were separated by inches?? There is a large gap between they tourist being stamped in and the next person who stands behind the red line

Actually, not always. You are talking about the main immigration area that exits to the baggage carousels. Passengers catching connecting flights are often processed through smaller rooms on the way to their gate.

Just a year or two back, I watched a family of five from Argentina, nice people with cute little blonde kids, being denied entry. I was standing right behind them and heard the entire conversation. They had the correct tourist visas and return flights, but were denied at the discretion of the IO. It was devastating to them after several long, expensive flights.

The young male IO was clearly hung over. I had a bit of trouble too, but managed to talk him round. That was when I starting avoiding the Bangkok airports whenever possible.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

There used to be a '180 day/year immigration law' years ago. To my information, there's currently no such law. Still, the supervising IO gave this "rule" as a reason for the denial (#1), and warning of denial (#2).

On a related note, I'd be interested to know, whether a IO can refuse entry at Don Muang or Suvarnabhumi, if one arrives from abroad, but has a connecting flight within Thailand.

If the connecting flight is domestic, of course. If it's international best get one  connecting at same airport and not passing immigration.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Are you absolutely sure that passengers stay 'airside' when connecting to a domestic flight?

It depends where your domestic flight is leaving from. If same airport and your ticketed you go thru transit area which you go

thru Immigration. 

If your domestic flight is another airport or requires you to exit the

airport you’ll have to clear Immigration. 

18 hours ago, sanemax said:

You do if your connecting flight is to a destination in Thailand. If this is the case, one has to pass immigration at the first port of entry. This regulation is valid in most countries.

2 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

You do if your connecting flight is to a destination in Thailand. If this is the case, one has to pass immigration at the first port of entry. This regulation is valid in most countries.

Yes, I did mean that you woulnt have to go through internal Thai immigration, once you had been through the immigration at your point of departure

5 hours ago, TexasFlyer said:

You are subject to immigration at the FIRST point of entry. No exceptions. Even in emergency landing situations, ad hoc immigration clearing is provided. 
**Exception being a pre cleared immigration check at the point of exit in departure country, e.g. Calgary, Abu Dhabi. 

See reply above

9 hours ago, TexasFlyer said:

That's a little misleading.  The key word is entry. Most airports have an 'airside' where you are not considered to have entered the country. For example, I fly to Thailand through Abu Dhabi. As I stay 'airside' waiting for my onward flight, I do not pass through UAE immigration because technically, I have not entered the UAE.

As some have suggested, it appears to depend on whether your next flight is connecting and/or whether the final destination has immigration.

Edited by KhaoYai

22 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

That's a little misleading.  The key word is entry. Most airports have an 'airside' where you are not considered to have entered the country. For example, I fly to Thailand through Abu Dhabi. As I stay 'airside' waiting for my onward flight, I do not pass through UAE immigration because technically, I have not entered the UAE.

As some have suggested, it appears to depend on whether your next flight is connecting and/or whether the final destination has immigration.

My understanding is BKK has domestic airside and international airside. To go from one to another you go through an immigration check, which used to be next to the transit counter so handy if you had to pick up boarding passes.  You can only go this route if you're going to Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Hat Yai, Krabi, Phuket and Koh Samui (maybe one or two more but they're clearly signed) as these airports have customs facilities.  All others must collect their bags and clear customs at BKK which of couse entails immigration first.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2019 at 7:40 PM, sanemax said:

Only if it is not a LCC, I was told. This is how Thailand may get an extra 10 million ghost tourists which would explain the empty hotels. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Langkawee said:

Only if it is not a LCC, I was told. This is how Thailand may get an extra 10 million ghost tourists which would explain the empty hotels. 

Apart from a few exceptions, LCCs don't sell connecting flights so that situation doesn't really arise.

9 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

Where is the OP with all his misleading info???????????

I can't help but wonder how/if 'Anybody' could know this much about other travelers..... as he does.......

Easy all his posts are bashing so why not jump onto the denied entry at airport train by all the other 1st post trolls all proven to be totally BS so OP as high posting troll takes a side step and claims to have bionic hearing LMAO ????

Oh dear. Yet another report about what happened to someone else. First hand reports are much more credible than, "This happened, that happened and I heard...". So much to say, with little substance to add to the credibility factor.

• Thanks 1

On 12/8/2019 at 8:25 PM, G950 said:

I think in 95% of cases no choice was given but i do remember a few cases where they were given a choice.

The 1 case i remember was about a year ago posted on this forum. A guy in his 30's semi retired was pinged for living in thailand for about 7 years from memory. He and his buddy were denied and given a document to sign. Having lived so long there he was fluent in Thai and read the whole document and then refused to sign it. He stated by not signing it they couldn't charge him the few hundred baht per day temp accom fee. I think in the end they agree that he could buy a ticket to wherever. In Thailand anything is possible I guess. 

The airline that you arrive on is responsible for taking you away from Thailand. Immigration doesn't care where you go. I was once denied entry when arriving on a Thai Air flight from Japan. After immigration processed my denial, they handed me over to Thai Air. The Thai Air staff at first said I had to buy a ticket to Japan or the U.S. (home country). I didn't want to go to either, so they allowed me to book a ticket to anywhere they fly. At first they were hesitant to let me do this, but without much resistance they agreed. I then booked a ticket online to Phnom Penh.

The Thai Air staff kept my passport and told me the time and place to meet them before boarding my flight so I could get my passport and boarding pass. I then went to the lounge and stayed until time for boarding. I was given my passport back just before boarding the flight.

If you can arrive on Thai Air you will have more options of where you can go if denied. If you arrive on an airline that only flies to Bangkok from one destination, you will be stuck without options.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KCM said:

The airline that you arrive on is responsible for taking you away from Thailand. Immigration doesn't care where you go. I was once denied entry when arriving on a Thai Air flight from Japan. After immigration processed my denial, they handed me over to Thai Air. The Thai Air staff at first said I had to buy a ticket to Japan or the U.S. (home country). I didn't want to go to either, so they allowed me to book a ticket to anywhere they fly. At first they were hesitant to let me do this, but without much resistance they agreed. I then booked a ticket online to Phnom Penh.

The Thai Air staff kept my passport and told me the time and place to meet them before boarding my flight so I could get my passport and boarding pass. I then went to the lounge and stayed until time for boarding. I was given my passport back just before boarding the flight.

If you can arrive on Thai Air you will have more options of where you can go if denied. If you arrive on an airline that only flies to Bangkok from one destination, you will be stuck without options.

So your saying if I fly from Osaka to bkk (AirAsia) and denied entry then I can choose to fly to Saigon (AirAsia)? I have multi visa to Vietnam.

Good luck with that. I suggest you were very lucky.

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So your saying if I fly from Osaka to bkk (AirAsia) and denied entry then I can choose to fly to Saigon (AirAsia)? I have multi visa to Vietnam.

Good luck with that. I suggest you were very lucky.

Yes, you should be able to fly to Saigon on AirAsia. It's possible the first AirAsia agent might say you need to fly back to Osaka, but a supervisor should be able to clear it up. My flight was from Osaka and the first Thai Air agent thought that's where I needed to return to, but they quickly checked with other staff and agreed it didn't matter where I would go.

• Thanks 1