Table saw

jvs

Just finished redoing the shop and ow it is time to look for a tablesaw.

Nothing fancy but i guess a ten inch blade is what i am looking for.

I have been comparing some in the shops but i would rather rely

on peoples experience.

So,what is a good table saw?Or better home made?

I have two, I made one by inverting a circular saw and I also bought the Stanley table saw. ( as below)

They both are great for occasional D-I-Y use and projects. I have no complaints with the Stanley products. Good deal for the price. 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/stanley-10-stst1825-1800w-2-2-i166936436-s205526901.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.26af52ecIuCeGc&search=1

9 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I have two, I made one by inverting a circular saw and I also bought the Stanley table saw. ( as below)

I have the Stanley too, it's fine for occasional DIY, at a sensible price.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, WayWokeWhiteGuy said:
18 hours ago, fruitman said:

A good tablesaw is a Festool.....that's what the pro's use.

Do they even make a table saw?

Yes and no the; Trimming saw PRECISIOCS 50 from £1,135 and Trimming saw PRECISIOCS 70 up to £2,937 don’t really count as full table saws but for small stuff they are great.

so a SawStop contractor saw from $1,399 is a good option.

Festool makes a table saw. A few downsides: it is only 8" which is too small for many purposes, also a very small table in all dimensions (though extensions are available for a price), flimsy fence, and extremely expensive. Upside is you can use the same saw as your table saw, remove it and use it as a circular saw, or put it in a festool track and use it as a track saw (3 in 1 functions). It also packs away into very compact boxes. Table is made of lightweight aluminum so won't rust away like others.

Makita is a great saw, but the table is low quality. I would recommend Dewalt.

5 hours ago, canopy said:

Festool makes a table saw. A few downsides: it is only 8" which is too small for many purposes, also a very small table in all dimensions (though extensions are available for a price), flimsy fence, and extremely expensive. Upside is you can use the same saw as your table saw, remove it and use it as a circular saw, or put it in a festool track and use it as a track saw (3 in 1 functions). It also packs away into very compact boxes. Table is made of lightweight aluminum so won't rust away like others.

Makita is a great saw, but the table is low quality. I would recommend Dewalt.

The Festool PRECISIOCS are not tables for the track saws but dedicated portable able saws, the fences are hardly flimsy. It has a unique sliding action that I’ve never seen on any other saw.

I agree on the pricing but the tools are a pleasure to use.

7 hours ago, David B in Thailand said:

Not sure the Stanley is as accurate as the two Bosch GTS 10J or Bosch GTS 10XC Table saws I see in Buriram. Big Wood Brand is another table saw brand that is worth the consideration of the OP. Bosch offers some nice folding table stands for compound miter saws and 10 inch table saws. 

The Bigwood table saws are in a totally different category to the other saws mentioned, they are portable contractors 10” saws while the cheaper Bigwood is a cabinet saw with a cast iron table and sliding table (87kg), the next one is a 12” saw again with a cast iron top (125kg)

ACDD62DA-01E8-429E-A037-A2ECB9F3E5C4.jpeg.77ba9b177fdae55ae4a17691e3c702c4.jpeg
6137EAC7-4CD2-468B-A59B-98B15E3A217C.jpeg.ec47960acd63f6924048ae2830ca1157.jpeg

38 minutes ago, neeray said:

Make sure you equip it with a carbide tipped blade. A 24 tooth is a good choice for general work. Much smoother cuts whether ripping or cross cutting.

I don’t know of any saws that don’t have carbide tipped blades and the 24 tooth recommendation in a 12” saw is a very course one, it’s good in an 8” for a 10” you need a 30 tooth blade and in a 12” a 36 Tooth blade to get the equivalent performance.

But for any saw to get top class results you need to spend a few thousand Baht on a top class blade.

Just now, sometimewoodworker said:

I don’t know of any saws that don’t have carbide tipped blades and the 24 tooth recommendation in a 12” saw is  course blade, it’s good in an 8” for a 10” you need a 30 tooth blade and in a 12” a 36 Tooth blade to get the equivalent performance.

But for any saw to get top class results you need to spend a few thousand Baht on a top class blade.

I think the grind is almost as important as the quality of the blade. 

Best to have a variety of blades depending on what you’re doing and how critical the quality of the cut it. 

Having saw blades (and other cutting tools) reground here seems to be pricey, at least the the venders I’ve used. 

Anyone have recommendations? 

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

I think the grind is almost as important as the quality of the blade. 

Best to have a variety of blades depending on what you’re doing and how critical the quality of the cut it. 

Having saw blades (and other cutting tools) reground here seems to be pricey, at least the the venders I’ve used. 

Anyone have recommendations? 

Probably not much use to you but there is an excellent little shop in Udon Thani that does a good job on both saw blades and thicknesser knives 

I posted already that i bought the Stanley,got it second hand off someone

who is moving back to the UK.I paid 3000 baht and the machine looks like new.

Did a few things already and soon it will have paid for itself.

Archived